Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pearline Soap Factory Lofts - 414 Washington Street - Condo - Tribeca

Default Pearline Soap Factory Lofts - 414 Washington Street - Condo - Tribeca

They're superb. Are they under construction, have they been built already or has construction yet to start?

Excavation has begun at both sites.

The Hudson St building mentioned in the article:

Thanks. What was there beforehand?

A modern design by BKSK for a glass condo on Hudson Street near the brunch joint Bubby's fits in well because it is in scale with its neighbors and seeks to match nearby floor plates, keeping the horizontal orientation of its block as one continuum. In so doing it creates a dialog between old and new.
    Ugh! That building fits in as well as a shower rack in the living room.

Yes it is the same height, but it is so different from its mottled surroundings that it looks like another odd piece cut out to gointo the mismatched collage of that block.

I hate it when architects try to make it seem like what they were doing was something it is not. Different? Yes. Matching? Hell no!

As for these new buildings, they remind me a bit of the building just south of Christopher on Washington I believe. Where the Dagastinos is? Undeniably modern, but still fitting with the brownstone loft feel.

I kind of like them.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    Thanks. What was there beforehand?
    Parking lots.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
    Different? Yes. Matching? Hell no!
    That's the point. A building does not have to be matching (contextual) to fit in. When walking by, although it is obvious that the building is modern, there is no sense that it is out of place.

I hate it when architects try to make it seem like what they were doing was something it is not.
    I'm not sure what you mean. What was the architect trying to do at Hudson St?

These are wonderful. The execution is very well done, and I agree with the article. It's best to go all the way, either true to history in worksmanship and materials, or radical and new for the 21st century. Enough of the incompetent or bland attempts at contextualism we've seen so much of, and which cheapen the overall fabric of the city.

I also love the building on Hudson Street - it's fantastic. Fits right in if you ask me.

My opinion:

The building looks liek a glass facade with scaffolding in front of it. Very reminiscent of many mall stores here in NJ. The Gap and Crate and Barrel being two of them.

It does not seem to fit, but rather to be more like a piece of electronic equipment stuck between books on a classic bookshelf.

I am not saying that teh buildings next to it are real treasures either. The fire escape on the RHS one runining a facade that is a rather smart looking simple brick rowhouse, an dthe LHS being the typical Brooklyn/Jersey city 4 story brownstone with no real redeeming qualities other than it does not suck outright...

Making abuilfing the same story height helps, but when the building lines do not show this (the windows do not quite match, and since there is no "line" at the story height in either building, it is hard to get a direct comparison in the way they are hinting at).

It just looks like a totally different animal stuck in there. Hell, a small brick accent line or two might have helped tie it in or something, but as it looks right now I cannot say it fits in more than being the same height.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    Parking lots.
    What a bonus -- Not only are the buildings beautiful, but they replace parking lots!

These are both terrific looking buildings.

The one at 414 (corner of Laight) has an odd neighbor, just to the west at 88 Laight ...

You can see it at the left (the white one peeking out from behind) in the rendering:

414 will somewhat wall-in the balconies there.

More on 88 Laight (in the pic below 414 will be just to the right) HERE, HERE and HERE ...

Are 414 and 415 twin buildings situated across the street from one another? The link that Fabrizio posted shows only one rendering.

They are somewhat opposite each other on Washington between Laight and Vesey ...

414 is on the south west end of that block (aka 78 Laight).

415 is on the north east end of that block (aka 55 Vesey).

Foundation work at 415 / 55 (the new building at 414 will sit just out of sight at the upper right):

Foundation work at 414 / 78 (with 76 Laight in the background):

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post

The link that Fabrizio posted shows only one rendering.
    That link actually shows both of the two different buildings -- they're very similar in design but the top one there (414) is on a smaller lot than the bottom one (415)

414 Washington / 76 Laight

(415 will be to the right and across Washington Street):

415 Washington / 55 Vestry

(414 will be at the end of the block behind the brick building on the far right -- across Washington Street from 415):

Thanks for the info. These buildings are the anti-POS!

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    The Hudson St building mentioned in the article:
    Couldn't be better. A lesson in how to do it right. I give this one an A+.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast