Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: St. Vincent's Hospital (7th Ave) - Redevelopment Plan

Thanks for the great info, Lofter.

I read an article about Hopper in Smithsonian last year and learned that he grew up in Rockland County. I believe that his childhood home is a museum.

I read tonight that Hopper's wife was the model for the women in his paintings.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    And another LINK where WOTBA has photoshopped NIGHTHAWKS over the existing Tiles for America Memorial Chain Link Fence on that corner.

This is extremely cool - thanks for sharing! I will never look at this corner the same way again. I wish someone would build a replica.

If they did they'd have to do it with a big swoop of curved glass sliding around the corner.

That is so incredibly cool and essential 1930's NYC ...

Variations on a theme ...

^Is that you in the middle version?

Not me ...

Visited the site couple days ago and want to post a couple pictures

the rest are here
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/leeloo2...7621965620623/

Banned Member

I'm very torn about this building being demolished. It isn't pretty, but it is distinct. The biggest problem I have with it is the incredibly poor interior layout and horrendous elevator service.

There's no other building in the city like it. I'd hate to see it lost as went 2 Columbus Circle.

^I feel the same way, but am leaning towards preservation to prevent the ungainly proposal from seeing the light of day.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

BR, the side entrance elevator is much better.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider View Post
    I'm very torn about this building being demolished. It isn't pretty, but it is distinct. The biggest problem I have with it is the incredibly poor interior layout and horrendous elevator service.

There's no other building in the city like it. I'd hate to see it lost as went 2 Columbus Circle.
    I don't like it and welcome its demolition. I am all for preservation but don't think that this warrants it. 2 Columbus was a better building in my opinion.

PS: Isn't the Maritime Hotel by the same architect? I like it better than this.

Considering the ungainly behemoth with the terrible base that has been approved to rise on this site, it might be better to go back to the drawing board and reconsider the options for the future before bringing in the wrecking ball.

But it seems it's too late for that.

Banned Member

St. Vincents would benefit from a new building and I support its efforts to get one built. It would be great if they could engage two architects: (1) a design architect for the massing and facade and (2) executive architect with hospital experience for the floor layouts, e.g., Perkins & Will.

They need a singular comprehensive building. It is a jumbled mess in its current mix of buildings. I do think that one of the old buildings across the street should be maintain and used for faculty practices.

Top preservation groups back St. Vincent’s lawsuit

By Albert Amateau

The Municipal Art Society and seven other civic groups last week filed a “friend of the court” brief in support of a March 5 lawsuit challenging the Landmarks Preservation Commission’s approval of St. Vincent’s Hospital’s plan to demolish the quirky-looking O’Toole building to make way for a new hospital.

The New York Landmarks Conservancy, the Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation, the National Trust for Historic Preservation, the Preservation League of New York, The Brooklyn Heights Society and Friends of the Upper East Side Historic District joined M.A.S. in the Nov. 4 amicus curiae brief.

The civic groups’ brief supports the original lawsuit filed by Protect the Village Historic District — a group organized last year to fight the hospital project — to overturn the L.P.C. approval last October of the St. Vincent’s hardship application to demolish the O’Toole building. The building was designed by Albert Ledner and built in 1963 for the National Maritime Union on the West Side of Seventh Ave. at W. 12th St. St. Vincent’s seeks to replace it with a 278-foot-tall new hospital tower.

The lawsuit, filed by Albert Butzel, attorney for P.V.H.D., and other groups, contends L.P.C. did not follow U.S. Supreme Court precedents on landmark issues. The suit notes that St. Vincent’s acquired the building in the 1970s after the Greenwich Village Historic District was designated and that the hospital should have been aware of restrictions on demolition.

In addition, the lawsuit contends that the L.P.C. decision in October to consider the O’Toole demolition separately from the approval of the new hospital tower proposed to replace it was in error. The suit says the demolition and the new hospital tower should have been considered together.

The M.A.S amicus brief says L.P.C. granted the hardship application to exempt O’Toole from the landmark district ban on demolition based on St. Vincent’s campus on both the east side of Seventh Ave. and the O’Toole and the green triangle and maintenance building on the west side of the avenue. M.A.S. contends that the campus basis of the exemption is an “invention [that] flies in the face of U.S. Supreme Court precedents.”

The amicus brief, filed with State Supreme Court Justice Emily Jane Goodman by Michael S. Gruen, attorney for M.A.S., and John J. Kerr Jr., attorney for New York Landmarks Conservancy, also charges that the L.P.C. hardship ruling was arbitrary and capricious and that the commission failed in its duty to protect a building that is within Greenwich Village Historic District.

Tom Molner, a founder and chairperson of Protect the Village Historic District, said of the brief, “We are gratified that the leading voices for preservation in New York City have joined with the Municipal Art Society in support of our view that the decision to allow the demolition of the O’Toole building reflects an erroneous view of the landmarks law and represents a dangerous precedent.”

He went on to say, “The fight to reverse this decision is not only about preserving the historic character of Greenwich Village, but also about the integrity of the landmark preservation process in New York.”

Lawyers for the city declined to comment on pending litigation.

http://www.thevillager.com/villager_...servation.html

What BS!

Where were these a_holes when Macklowe razed The Drake, when the 56th Street townhouses were razed, etc.

What are they going to do when the stunning pre-War building on W 57th is razed to make way for Cetra Ruddy's crap hotel? NOTHING!

Is the O'Toole building worth more to these pri...cks than treating the health of people in Greenwich Village?

This is the building that must be saved!

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast