Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: St. Vincent's Hospital (7th Ave) - Redevelopment Plan

Default St. Vincent's Hospital (7th Ave) - Redevelopment Plan

A rumor was posted on curbed.com that this hideous eyesore will be razed. Let's hope so!

From curbed.com (Dec. 5,2006):

"Rumor going around among residents in surrounding buildings that this St. Vincent's Hospital building (above) at 36 7th Avenue in Greenwich Village completed in the late 80's is about to be taken down and redeveloped." Prime location. Anybody know if the hospital's giving it up?

That building sits inside the Landmarked Greenwich Village Historic District.

Seems to be Zoned C2-6 (upper left corner of the map -- west side of 7th Avenue between 12th & 13th)

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    That building sits inside the Landmarked Greenwich Village Historic District.

Seems to be Zoned C2-6 (upper left corner of the map -- west sdie of 7th Avenue between 12th & 13th)
    What does the zoning to which you refer mean? There's a nice, post-1980 brick building with a Victorian turret near this. I'd like to see something like that rise on this site. To borrow your term, Lofter, this building is a true POS.

No it isn't. I like this building. It's distinctive and interesting, and it's been around long enough to become part of the fabric of that area. That ugly photo is a poor and unflattering representation.
    When your walking up seventh avenue and see it you know exactly where you are. A landmark. I have many fond memories of hanging out in that area and it's part of the place.
    But, I suppose with the imminent (and shameful) closing of St. Vincents, you are probably right that this will be redeveloped. I'm not saying it's gorgeous, but it's better than a lot of monstrosities from that time. I just wouldn't call it a POS and call for it's razing.

St. Vincents in the Village isn't closing. The Midtown site might be consolidated.

Condos and street-level retail on this site would be fantastic. Selling the site could help St. Vincents improve its Greenwich Village campus.

This monstrosity needs to go.

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy View Post
    No it isn't. I like this building. It's distinctive and interesting....
    To each his own. I find it horrific.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    completed in the late 80's is about to be taken down and redeveloped."
    Actually, this went up in 1964, as the headquarters of the National Maritime Union, AFL-CIO (hence the porthole motif), designed by the same architects who were responsible for the union's similarly-fenestrated Joseph Curran Annex at 8th Avenue/16-17th Streets (now the Maritime Hotel). Since St. Vinnie's is in Chapter 11, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's trying to raise some cash.

Quote Originally Posted by ManhattanKnight View Post
    Actually, this went up in 1964....
    That makes sense. This does not look like a building from the 80's.

I agree about retail being nice, but if it's another cookie-cutter-condo-tower-POS like the ones that mushroomed along sixth in the 20's or in every other nabe of this city, no thanks. I'll take this interesting period piece which lends its own point of visual singularity to the urban fabric. Plus, I would bet $100 bucks we just get another bank branch or the same chain store that exists 3 blocks away somewhere if they replace it. Big deal. I'd rather keep suffering the ordeal of one less Duane Reade or Wachovia along that stretch and keep a piece of 60's architecture in the stew.

I rather like this quirky building and, given Landmark's record at the intersection at which it sits, hope that it isn't destroyed. The Commission permitted the Loew's Sheridan theater, immediately to the south, to be demolished in 1970 and, many years later, to be replaced by St. Vinnie's characterless Materials Handling Center. Across 7th Avenue, it allowed the hospital to raze the stately Elizabeth Bayley Seton Building and replace with the hulking brick box that's spoiled the intersection ever since. If there is a POS in this immediate neighborhood (other than those owned by the hospital), I'd nominate Londonlawyer's favorite with the "Victorian turret."

In its Greenwich Village Historic District Designation Report (1969), Landmarks says of this building:

The large five-story building of the National Maritime Union of America is a striking contemporary structure. . . . The main portion of this building fronting on the Avenue is a glistening white, built above two curving glass-block walls. It has two overhangs at the top floors which are dramatized by their scalloped edge profiles. Those overhangs produce an interesting play of light and shade. The rectangularized pattern of the jointing of the stone veneer lends a new dimension to the building, making us double aware of the various wall planes. Bubble-shaped covers of plexiglas serve to display ship models around the base, outside the glass block walls. Behind this main mass a six-story section rises up, extending through from street to street.
    Last edited by ManhattanKnight; December 5th, 2006 at 03:48 PM.

Forum Veteran

There will come a time when people regret all the mid-century architecture we're losing right now. Just like we love the Victorian buildings our parents and grandparents hated, later generations will value your hideous eyesore.

St. Vincent's considers building sales

By Tim Moran
    December 5, 2006

Saint Vincent Catholic Medical Centers is considering selling off parts of its Manhattan campus, hospital officials have said.

According to Michael Fagan, spokesperson for the beleaguered hospital system that last year filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, St. Vincent's has retained the service of real estate advisory firm CIT to help them evaluate all options at their Downtown campus, anchored on West 12th Street and Seventh Avenue in Greenwich Village.

"Currently, we're keeping all of the options on the table as we look to modernize our facilities," Fagan said. "As part of our plan to update, we've retained CIT to help us consider the whole hospital in Greenwich Village, how to best utilize space and how to best make infrastructure improvements."

Fagan said that St. Vincent would consult with area residents and city officials before making final decisions on whether to sell or refit any of its buildings.

The news comes a week after a state panel recommended that St. Vincent's consider selling off real estate assets at its Midtown campus in Hell's Kitchen.

Copyright 2003-2005 The Real Deal.

I have always hated this building with a passion. I really hope that it's razed and replaced with a lowrise, brick structure.

Its just soooo ugly.

But it IS 1964. Doesnt anyone see an asthetic similarity to 2 Columbus? It was the year of the Worlds Fair... a sea of white architecture...and a time of white futuristic fashion:

Compare this P. Cardin dress with the building (Couregges sunglasses and 1964 cut-out boots follow):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cardin-4.gif 
Views:	512 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	3158   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cour.jpg 
Views:	494 
Size:	7.3 KB 
ID:	3160  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio View Post
    ...Doesnt anyone see an asthetic similarity to 2 Columbus?...
    I thought that, but Two Columbus Circle is much more elegant. This is a squat box.

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast