Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: New Development: Chicago vs. New York

The Dude Abides

For anyone here who remembers the absurdity of the "Sydney vs. Toronto" pissing match, this thread is starting to bear a striking resemblance.

Quote Originally Posted by Stern View Post
    I was refraining from this rather ridiculous thread until now, I canít help but notice that in addition to Chicago being an inferior city, it appears, troublingly, that a certain number of its population canít do simple math.
    It's ironic, I had seen this thread before, but didn't know it was still active until today. I guess its entertaining.

Chicago is a great American city, but this preoccupation with comparing itself or trying to "live up" to New York doesn't do it any service. It's not New York, and it never will be. But it doesn't have to be. There are other great American cities: San Francisco, Los Angelos, even Boston. They remain unique for what they are, there's no reason Chicago can't do the same. That's for you Chicago folks.

On the other hand, you New Yorkers should know better. As we have seen already, you don't have to be a "great" city to build a 2,000-3,000 ft tower. As it is now, that's left to cities with inferiority complexes or the need to prove something. (Of course, I wouldn't turn it down.) New York knows it has a permanent seat at the world table, which is why it sometimes needs a swift kick in the butt to get things done. And seeing how something as simple as a recladding of a minor, aged office building is enough to send some of you to tears, its no wonder things take forever to get done. That being said, New York is New York. It will always be New York, even when none of us are around to see it. So you either love it or you don't. Enough with the whining.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Maybe I need to move uptown
    ha!

Quote Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
    I
    Chicago is a great American city, but this preoccupation with comparing itself or trying to "live up" to New York doesn't do it any service. It's not New York, and it never will be. But it doesn't have to be. There are other great American cities: San Francisco, Los Angelos, even Boston. They remain unique for what they are, there's no reason Chicago can't do the same. That's for you Chicago folks.

On the other hand, you New Yorkers should know better. As we have seen already, you don't have to be a "great" city to build a 2,000-3,000 ft tower. As it is now, that's left to cities with inferiority complexes or the need to prove something. (Of course, I wouldn't turn it down.)

What a load o' crap. You first claim Chicagoans compare themselves to New York and then you turn around and counsel New Yorkers not to compare themselves to Chicago.

The only people claiming that Chicagoans are preoccupied with New York are.....surprise surprise.....New Yorkers!

Chicago invented the skyscraper and it is very much a part of the city's self-image, with or without New York. I invite you to visit Chicago and spend a lunchtime at one of the many construction sites where daily there are hundreds of folks watching skyscrapers be built. It's a spectator sport in Chicago.

And NONE of that has ANYTHING to do with New York.

Hmm... I like Chicago a lot. It's no New York, but I don't consider that a bad thing. Chicago's star is still rising, while New York's seems to have stalled. That's my general feeling about the two places.

I can't believe how nasty some of this debate has become.

Quote Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
    It's ironic, I had seen this thread before, but didn't know it was still active until today. I guess its entertaining.

On the other hand, you New Yorkers should know better. As we have seen already, you don't have to be a "great" city to build a 2,000-3,000 ft tower. As it is now, that's left to cities with inferiority complexes or the need to prove something. (Of course, I wouldn't turn it down.) New York knows it has a permanent seat at the world table, which is why it sometimes needs a swift kick in the butt to get things done. And seeing how something as simple as a recladding of a minor, aged office building is enough to send some of you to tears, its no wonder things take forever to get done. That being said, New York is New York. It will always be New York, even when none of us are around to see it. So you either love it or you don't. Enough with the whining.

That's bull! It's not like Chicago itself is building 1000-2000 foot buildings! Developers from other states and Countries (New York Trump) and across the Atlantic (Kelleher-Spire) are coming to Chicago to build there building because the see the potential Chicago brings to there developments. Why are they not building such tall buildings in New York? Ask the developers. My personal feeling is what Kelleher said, and I agree. I would feel much safer in a taller high-rise in Chicago then New York, from that stand-point, I think buyers would agree as-well.

Safer in a taller buildng in Chicago rather than iin NYC?

Because ...... ????

(most likely the next big one won't have much to do with how tall the point of attack might be)

PIZ, is your roommate from New York in college?

Question

Is it of any prudence to debate with some 15 yr old "Chicagoans" with a MAJOR and uninhibited inferiority complex?

Safer in a taller buildng in Chicago rather than iin NYC?

Because ...... ????

(most likely the next big one won't have much to do with how tall the point of attack might be)
    New York has the History of Terrorist attacking it, Chicago does not. This is all I am saying. No matter how secure New York might be right now, psychologically that fear would still be there for potential buyers of a 2000 foot residential building, it happened there twice, it can happen again, no matter how safe it might be right now, there is no disputing that. Personaly, I know that would be in the back of my mind living in a 2000 footer sticking up out of the New York skyline.

Quote Originally Posted by TREPYE View Post
    Is it of any prudence to debate with some 15 yr old "Chicagoans" with a MAJOR and uninhibited inferiority complex?
    As a Chicagoan who has lived here all my life, I can assure you that there is no inferiority complex going on within the heads of us Chicagoans. In-fact it is the exact opposite, we are glad not to associated with New York, we don't want to be New York. When my roommate tries to compare Chicago to New York I get insulted by it. Chicago has a beautiful rich history behind it, as does New York, I would not want to live anywhere else in the world. O'yea, I am not 15 my friend, I am 26. I am a successful business owner, a Magician on the weekends (I do night gigs, plan on going full-time within the next couple years), and am helping out a friend working part-time for a Hotel until he (as the new owner) gets everything running smooth. Please don't insult me, I have not insulted you.

P.S. As far as my roommate goes, no he is not in College. He moved here from New York when his parents split to watch over his mother.
    Last edited by PIZ; January 5th, 2008 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PIZ View Post

No matter how secure New York might be right now ... it can happen again ... Personaly, I know that would be in the back of my mind living in a 2000 footer sticking up out of the New York skyline.
    CHICAGO!

The home of the Brave

In the spirit of refraining from wasting my time replying to this thread I'll merely quote.

Quote Originally Posted by PIZ View Post
    a Magician on the weekends (I do night gigs, plan on going full-time within the next couple years)

Quote Originally Posted by Stern View Post
    In the spirit of refraining from wasting my time replying to this thread I'll merely quote.
    OK, whats your point? That's been my dream my whole life... I make more money in just one hour then you probably make in a week! My uncle in Cali is full-time magician and banks around $250-300,000 a year! Some good money in this business brother! Entertainment doesn't come cheap, especially when your as good as I am! Have you ever had someone come up to you on the street and levitate a good foot off the ground? Well if where to meet me, thats exactly what you would see.

CHICAGO!

The home of the Brave

Just as I have stated, there is no debating what I said. I have never seen such a stuborn group of people in my life! You New Yorkers are something else!

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast