Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: New Development: Chicago vs. New York

Question New Development: Chicago vs. New York

It seems like projects in Chicago that are getting built/approved are generally alot taller than in NYC nowadays. I suppose that there is less nimby action in Chicago. For instance, Trump was able to start building a 96 story residential tower in Chicago without any opposition that I am aware of, but in NYC, his much shorter 72 story residential tower received major protests. Seems like taller projects are much more welcome in Chicago these days. At least I'm more impressed with what is getting built and approved in Chicago.

Unhappy

Check out the news clip in the bottom left of the link below. They are all bragging about the big developments out there. I just don't see this in New York?

http://www.thelegacyatmillenniumpark.com/home.asp

nice find cool! Thanks

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Meanwhile, out in Chicago they get stuff like this:

Even Maki's 4WTC can't touch this and this is just another run-of-the-mill tower for them.

At this point, I have lost a lot of interest in pulling for this city.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    Meanwhile, out in Chicago they get stuff like this:

Even Maki's 4WTC can't touch this and this is just another run-of-the-mill tower for them.

At this point, I have lost a lot of interest in pulling for this city.
    NY's old buildings make it great. With exceptions, its new buildings suck.

What is that building in Chicago?

^ Chicago's got those too and at the rate we're getting rid of ours (Pennsylvania, Roosevelt, Drake, 55/57 St. townhouses, et al), I don't think we're going to be that far ahead in that category either.

Anyway, you can read more about that tower here in Chicago Reaching for the Sky.

^ Chicago's got those too and at the rate we're getting rid of ours (Pennsylvania, Roosevelt, Drake, 55/57 St. townhouses, et al), I don't think we're going to be that far ahead in that category either.

Anyway, you can read more about that tower here in Chicago Reaching for the Sky.
    I have been to Chicago at least 100 times, and it does not have anywhere near the volume of great old buildings that NY does. The area south of 42nd Street is practically all pre-WWII and is really beautiful. Chicago has nothing comparable.

I think that zoning laws which limit height and NIMBYS, neither of which Chicago has, hurt development. Also, having greedy SOBS like Macklowe, Solow and Zuckerman doesn't help either.

I concur with some of what you said about zoning and NIMBYs but the greedy SOB part doesn't explain it though.

Are you saying their Chicago counterparts are somehow less greedy?

Just to enter for a moment, while I don't doubt that their Chicago counterparts are no less interested in making a profit on their investments, I do actually believe that many Chicago-based developers and business leaders are a bit more civic minded than many of our own NYC real estate moguls. That may sound naive, I know, and it doesn't apply to certain Chicagoans of course, but that's my experience on the subject.

.... Are you saying their Chicago counterparts are somehow less greedy?
    Yes. NY has good developers that are willing to spend money to produce a great project, such as Durst, Barnett, Zeckendorf and Rosen. NY also has cheap, reprehensible, scum developers like Macklowe, Solow and apparently, Zuckerman who build low cost crap that is guided by nothing but their profit margin. Solow wants to raze a few buildings on the south side of 57th St. just west of the Crown Building that are so magnificent. He should get his nads cut off.
    Last edited by londonlawyer; October 18th, 2007 at 12:27 AM.

I agree. Save the Hotel Penn!

Chicago does not have anywhere near the number of old buildings as NYC. I doubt it has a tenth of the historic building stock.

As for the new buildings, I am mystified why recent Chicago architecture is always viewed so favorably on this forum. Every single new tower in Chicago has a giant parking garage as a base. Basically one quarter to one third of these buildings consist of space for cars. That alone makes these buildings vastly inferior from an urbanistic standpoint. Even our worst buildings have little or (more likely) no parking and meet the street with retail instead of parking spaces.

Also, what's with all the complaining on this new office tower? The design hasn't even been released yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ASchwarz View Post
    Chicago does not have anywhere near the number of old buildings as NYC. I doubt it has a tenth of the historic building stock.....
    Also, what's with all the complaining on this new office tower? The design hasn't even been released yet.
    I agree with your first point.

With respect to your second point, I posted in this thread an interview with Zuckerman in which he described the building's design as "underwhelming" and compared it to the "simple elegance" of the Lever House (i.e., a boring box).

Another point is that almost all of these new buildings in Chicago are being built on vacant land or parking lots and they are residential or hotels.

The assertion that Chicago's new projects are characterized mostly by parking garages and having little streetlevel retail is simply not true and probably based on old stereotypes.

From what I can tell, many of the new developments do not have above ground parking facilities and many are embracing retail shops in their bases. Times have changed you know.

Even in NY, quite a few large new developments do not always get that stuff right either. One only have to look at the proposals at the Con Ed site and the west side rail yards to see that many of the anti-urban features (large plazas/open space, parking garages, no streetlevel retail) are still being implemented in this city.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast