Thread: Quickest way to get new CofO (to 2-family from 6 unit)?

Question Quickest way to get new CofO (to 2-family from 6 unit)?

Anyone have any idea if the following is at all right or how I could do it?

Question:
    Could I basically just put a (legal/appropriate) locked door to the stairs to the 3rd floor and get the building inspectors/expediters/whomever to certify the building then as a 2-unit and issue a new CofO??? The bottom duplex already has it's own interior front-door. Would this work even though the top duplex would still basically be 4 one-bedroom apartments (used as a single unit) with 4 bathrooms, 4 kitchenettes, etc.?
    If not, any ideas what else I would have to do or pointers to online resources?

Details
    I'm buying a 4-floor Brownstone in the Upper West Side with a partner and we're going to make it into 2 duplex apartments (one for each of us with me taking the top 2 floors).
    The bottom 2 floors are basically a duplex already (actually have a small ground-floor front office/studio that we'll join to the rest of the bottom duplex with a simple interior door).
    The top 2 floors each have 2 one-bedroom apartments.

We're buying as a 6-unit (per it's current Certificate of Occupancy), but want to convert it IMMEDIATELY to a 2-family (AKA 2-unit) for taxes, etc.

Thanks much!
    Andreas
    Last edited by AndreasNYC; January 12th, 2007 at 10:34 AM. Reason: forgot thread icon

A revised C/O is a matter of Law / Building Code -- not just something that you can create simply by inserting / constructing a wall / door.

You need Legal advice on this -- either from a Registered Architect or an Engineer with knowledge of NYC codes -- either of which could file the necessary paperwork at DOB to revise the C/O.

The money spent on researching your specific situation via such professionals will be well worth it -- particularly if the IRS / NYS Tax guys question your accounting / status.

Also: Unless you paid cash full-out it might be that the bank or other institution that helped with financing your purchase has outlined -- in the fine print -- some details regarding this.

Default Definitely will get an architect/engineer, but looking for initial insight

Thanks lofter1 for your reply. I definitely will get an architect/engineer (believe that's an absolute requirement), but I was looking for quick initial insight while I am interviewing architects, etc. for the (hopefully) small/quick immediate renovation and then the real phase 1 renovations (making the upper duplex more of a duplex and less of 4x one-bedrooms joined .

Andreas

http://tinyurl.com/2ag28z Front_Porch's Avatar

Lofter is right that you need professional advice on this one. (Lofter is always right, except when he scares the newbies by making rat jokes).

If you want answers out of left field just to give you an idea of what you might be facing, and I am really talking out of my hat here, I can tell you I own a multifamily in the suburbs.

And what Nassau County would want you to do would be to rip out three of your kitchens.

For them, disconnecting the gas lines on three of the four stoves and physically removing the ranges would probably do it.

Whether that translates at all to New York County, I couldn't tell you.

ali r.
    {downtown broker}

You might be able to get away with removing only two of the kitchens and retaining two separate kitchens in one unit IF you need the 2nd kitchen -- for example in regards to Kosher requirements (as someone I know has done in a situation in a downtown loft building).

PS: I'm often mistaken, although I do try to get my facts right ...

Default hard to say w/o seeing the plans

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasNYC View Post
    Anyone have any idea if the following is at all right or how I could do it?

Question:
    Could I basically just put a (legal/appropriate) locked door to the stairs to the 3rd floor and get the building inspectors/expediters/whomever to certify the building then as a 2-unit and issue a new CofO??? The bottom duplex already has it's own interior front-door. Would this work even though the top duplex would still basically be 4 one-bedroom apartments (used as a single unit) with 4 bathrooms, 4 kitchenettes, etc.?
    If not, any ideas what else I would have to do or pointers to online resources?

Details
    I'm buying a 4-floor Brownstone in the Upper West Side with a partner and we're going to make it into 2 duplex apartments (one for each of us with me taking the top 2 floors).
    The bottom 2 floors are basically a duplex already (actually have a small ground-floor front office/studio that we'll join to the rest of the bottom duplex with a simple interior door).
    The top 2 floors each have 2 one-bedroom apartments.

We're buying as a 6-unit (per it's current Certificate of Occupancy), but want to convert it IMMEDIATELY to a 2-family (AKA 2-unit) for taxes, etc.

Thanks much!
    Andreas
    Although generally its much simpler to reduce the number of legal units than to add units. Yes it might be as simple as adding a door.

consult with an architect/engineer.
    is your building in a landmark district? you will need lpc approval as well as dob before you can get approval for work permits. timeframe for permits can take about 1-3 months depending on if you have good expediters, for the scope of work you want to do.

both of the above posters are correct; to convert a 6 fam to a 2 fam, you would have to remove 4 kitchens. only exception are for kosher kitchens as previously mentioned.