Page 2 of 71 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: 99 Church Street (30 Park Place) - 82 stories, 926 ft - by Robert A.M. Stern

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Silverstein (and Kondylis, too)!

Winning me over.

Forum Veteran

this site will hold the cities second Shangri-La Hotel and Resort

^That's good to hear. When is demolition going to start....and do you know the height?

Holy S...t!

This tower is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Let's post the rest of the renderings.

Random Personality

Thumbs up

Wow. I am utterly shocked. This has to be the most beautiful design that Costas has ever come up with. I guess he had a good budget to work with this time. I really hope this gets built. I love the crown.

Odd how they have pulled this new tower back from the Church Street edge and seemingly created a blockfront "plaza" at the west end of the block -- which results in the mass of this building being that much closer to the Woolworth at the east end of the block.

Before we know it views of the grand old Woolworth will be few and far between

btw: That low-rise glass base is terrible.

And let's just hope that the Miami-aqua glass (ala 325 Fifth) is not what we'll get.

Banned Member

^Agreed.

The top is a rather spectacular considering what we usually get these days. Materials are going to make all the difference in the world on this. I do hope the budget is there to bring it to fruition.

Setting it back fron the curb might be to create a cut in the curb for taxis and limos.

^ yes, let's hope this is a case where the glass on the final product turns out much darker than in the renderings.

While it looks promising, I'll wait until I see an elevation drawing, or at least a rendering that isn't taken from the ground with an ultra-wide-angle lens thing going on, thus making it hard to tell what exactly the top of the tower will look like. My fear is that despite all the zig-zaggies, it'll still have a flat top and be just another stump on the skyline.

This looks great. Tall and really interesting architecture, at least based on the renderings. Hopefully, it won't take away too much of the view of Woolworth.

It looks like downtown is where the most exciting development in NYC is happening these days. I suppose that since downtown is not as popular as midtown is for businesses and residential living, the architecture and height are cranked up a notch (or ten!!!) to be more attractive. Just keep Macklowe out of this area, and let this trend continue. It looks like Silvertstein truly cares about the greatness of NYC as much as he says he does!

Hope it turns out at least as good as the renderings look.

Quote Originally Posted by Scraperfannyc View Post

... Hopefully, it won't take away too much of the view of Woolworth.
    How can it not, situated as it is about 100 feet away at the other end of the same block???

materials are going to make all the difference in the world on this. I do hope the budget is there to bring it to fruition.
    Yep.

Let's see if they can accomplish those sculptural forms in the masonry without my evil eye being distracted by one-inch caulk joints and every other panel being ever-so-slightly slightly skewed. And the dull, lifeless texture of most pre-cast these days. Not to mention the wrinkly glass. Could be be an exuberant design. Crude, but exuberant. We'll see...

Wow I am happily surprice! Looks like it has an Art Deco style to it. I love it. But hopefully the base chosen is not the boxy one.

Hoping it doesn't end up looking like Charlotte's HEARST TOWER (SOM; 2002 -- 46 stories) which works well there, but would be ridiculous at this site ...

The Hearst Tower in Charlotte has the similar & questionable glass corners -- along with an exuberant crown ...

http://www.mccgroup.com/

And lots of pre-cast concrete panels ...

The Quest for Sustainable Construction Methods

Photo courtesy of the Precast/
    Prestressed Concrete Institute

http://enr.construction.com/resource...creteToday.asp

The 470-story [ ] Hearst Tower in Charlotte, NC, features nearly 300,000 sq ft of architectural precast concrete panels cladding its exterior, which feature a light-colored, sandblasted finish designed to simulate natural stone. A special window-unit panel was designed to allow the panels to span floor-to-floor, reducing the number of pieces that needed to be cast and erected by several hundred. The project was designed by Smallwood, Reynolds, Stewart, Stewart & Associates Inc.

Plus a very bold entryway ...

Photo: Robin Castaldi

Page 2 of 71 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast