Page 5 of 71 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: 99 Church Street (30 Park Place) - 82 stories, 926 ft - by Robert A.M. Stern

Another health club? How many more can we squeeze into Manhattan?

The renovations to 100 church street are no improvement. I don't think it will be anytime soon that you see the City move out of that building. Given who is in there, you can expect at least 5 more years.

So Silverstein got Stern to design this...if he does just a good a job of contextualism as he did in CPW then perhaps there may be something to look forward to.

Let's hope for limestone.

10 Barclay = Decepticon Optimus Prime's Avatar

Scaffolding was going up on 99 yesterday and they were doing deconstruction in the interior, pulling out drywall, insulation, etc.

I'll have to avoid this block for the next few months. The site of this one coming down would be too sad to behold

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    I'll have to avoid this block for the next few months. The site of this one coming down would be too sad to behold
    Yes it has nice materials and finish, but architecturally nothing sets this building apart.

10 Barclay = Decepticon Optimus Prime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stern View Post
    Yes it has nice materials and finish, but architecturally nothing sets this building apart.
    True, but I can't help but like the way its facade sort of whispers to you, "pssst, hey buddy, look around, check out that Woolworth Building, see 90 Church over there, we're pals, too, and how about that St. Pete's!" I know it's basically a squat box, but the finish works so well with those other buildings. I'm hopeful about what the new building will look like due to the rendering posted earlier, but we all know how plans change and we could easily wind up with a cheap piece of junk glass box since they seem to be so popular these days.

Plus it's really a drag when you look across Church and see the two glass monstrosities and know that they aren't going anywhere. They're like suburban 1960s/70s public schools bulked up on steroids and pretending to be urban office buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    Plus it's really a drag when you look across Church and see the two glass monstrosities and know that they aren't going anywhere. They're like suburban 1960s/70s public schools bulked up on steroids and pretending to be urban office buildings.
    I could not agree with you more. Sapir is a schmuck. Those P's O S on Church should be razed ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post

... I can't help but like the way its facade sort of whispers ...
    Exactly ^^^

We don't need every building on every corner to scream "Look at Me" (whether because they are fantastically beautiful, horrendously ugly or numbingly banal).

Sometimes a building such as this -- which is nearly perfect in its simple form and use of materials -- is needed to give the eye a place to rest. Almost like a silence in a measure of music.

hmmm...68 storeys. Usually I would be excited by a height increase, but I need to see how this building interacts with the Woolworth. Hopefully the Woolworth isn't made to look like a fragile old lady.

LMDC:

October 15, 2007

Silverstein Taps Stern for New 99 Church St Tower

Add one more to the list of prestigious architects rebuilding Lower Manhattan. Robert A.M. Stern joins the architectural talent pool hired by Silverstein Properties and other developers for the current downtown renaissance.

Stern's 38-year-old firm will design the residential and hotel tower slated to rise at 99 Church Street over the next three years. The skyscraper will replace the 11-story building that now occupies the site with 68 stories of luxury condominiums, a restaurant, and a five-star hotel.

Located on the east side between Barclay Street and Park Place, 99 Church Street is the former home of Moody's Corporation, which relocated its corporate headquarters to Silverstein's 7 World Trade Center in early 2007. In a joint venture with partner California State Teachers' Retirement System, Silverstein bought 99 Church Street in November 2006 for $170 million. The purchase marks the second investment between the pension fund and Silverstein, the first being the acquisition of 575 Lexington Avenue in October 2006.

Tishman Construction, which also is building the Freedom Tower and the new Goldman Sachs headquarters, will manage the project beginning with demolition of the 1951 building. Scaffolding around the building will begin to rise this week, followed by approximately six months of demolition work. Construction of the new tower's foundation will begin in June 2008, on the way to its early 2011 opening.

Wow! But I agree, 68 stories could put it as exactly the same height as Woolworth....but maybe we'll get lucky and it will push 900 feet. Anxiously waiting a rendering for this one now.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Doubt it. Most likely in the 700 to 800 feet range although I would love to be wrong.

Where did the increase in air rights come from?

Robert M. Stern, please make sure this one is spectacular, please.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    Doubt it. Most likely in the 700 to 800 feet range although I would love to be wrong.

Where did the increase in air rights come from?

Robert M. Stern, please make sure this one is spectacular, please.
    Probably the same size as before, but with smaller floorplates or a plaza or something configuring the new version to 68 storeys instead of 58.

TWT is 'officially' 72 i think so that would be the upper range of 800' odd

Page 5 of 71 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast