Page 55 of 71 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast

Thread: 99 Church Street (30 Park Place) - 82 stories, 926 ft - by Robert A.M. Stern

aren't those just concrete with a thin stone veneer? Looks good anyway. Much better than those fake brick panels on that college building next to the WTC.

Another new render:

Maybe the sickest new terraces in New York.

Beautiful.

Given the seeming elimination of the crown on 220 CPS, this may turn out to be a nicer tower than that.

Beautiful, but what HAS to be a fake view. It's not clear to me how NYbG doesn't at least partially obstruct that view. The terraces MAY be above Woolworth, but the view will never be that clean to Brooklyn.

Quote Originally Posted by uakoops View Post
    aren't those just concrete with a thin stone veneer? Looks good anyway. Much better than those fake brick panels on that college building next to the WTC.
    It is limestone veneer on those panels, but if it's like what Stern used at 15 CPW the veneer is fairly thick & robust.

According to this WNY Post from 2007, the veneer at 15 CPW is about 2.5" thick:

... As the building rose, the team also began to mobilize to install the panels for the 290,000-sq.-ft. limestone façade. Each of the 2,832 limestone panels needed a precast concrete backing for attachment to the building.

“The engineering of the limestone precast panels was pretty intense,” Grecco said.

Artex Systems of Canada, the project’s precaster, developed detailed shop drawings for each unique limestone panel and ordered the stone from the Indiana Limestone Co. in Oolitic, Ind. The stone contractor cut the limestone to specified dimensions and shipped it to Artex’s Toronto plant, where crews embedded and epoxied pins into the stone and then poured concrete over it to create the backing. The limestone was then shipped to New York.

“I do not know of one single panel that did not fit the building,” Grecco added. “The joineries are terrific.”

15 CPW Limestone Facts

• Limestone Source: Empire Quarry, Indiana Limestone Co. of Oolitic, Ind.
    • Color-Finish: Buff to bright gray with sawn smooth finish
    • Quantity: 2,832 panels and approximately 13,000 sq. ft. of hand-set
    pieces covering 299,000 sq. ft.
    • Weight: 6,000 tons with pieces ranging in weight from a few hundred
    pounds to more than 24,000 pounds
    • Quarry method: Belt saws slice 20-ton blocks, like a loaf of bread,
    into 2-ft.-thick slabs. Slabs are sawed to the correct height, laid flat and
    then sawed to an approximately 2.5-in. thickness
    using a multiblade
    technology. Special blades and machinery were flown in from Spain to
    obtain the sawn finish desired by the architect. For ornamental or profile
    work, large pieces of stone were put into a shaping machine, called a planer,
    which shaves the stone to the desired shape.

15 CPW under construction (Curbed February 2007):

If you wonder who is buying here, the Robert A.M. Stern Architects webpage for 30 Park Place shows this at the bottom:

English 中文 Chinese

And here's the pitch to those from across the sea ...

四季酒店公寓

纽约市, 纽约州, 建造中

四季酒店公寓与由卡斯·吉尔伯特1913年设计的地标式摩天大楼伍尔沃斯大楼坐落于同一街区,距著名的世贸 中心重建选址仅一街区之隔,是一座即将成为曼哈顿下城区大厦群中又一重要地标的80层塔楼,将混合容纳具有 175间酒店客房的五星级四季酒店以及143套高端产权公寓。四季酒店的入口位于巴克利大街上,客人可由此 进入位于酒店四个楼层中包括大厅、休息厅、餐厅、舞厅、会议设施以及一个水疗与健身中心在内的各种配套设施 。在酒店的空间设计中,一个庭院由南至北贯穿街区,被一个容纳酒店建筑设施与地下停车场入口的附属建筑切割 而成,酒店的每一个公共房间都将面向该庭院设置。公寓住宅的入口与大厅则相对独立,位于公园街上,仅为公寓 的住户服务。公寓的配套设施位于建筑的29层,各功能空间与健身中心都采用了开敞式设计,面向位于室外的凉 廊开放。建筑的主体将由石灰石和铸造石料建造而成,由下及上,一直延伸至建筑顶部,与建筑顶部整层独套的跃 层公寓及其精巧的退台式设计共同构成建筑壮阔的天际线轮廓。

© 2013年 罗伯特•斯特恩建筑师事务所

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Thanks for sharing!

Looks like Artex Systems is pretty prolific in supplying precast panels:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Artex...50784808273148

It's basically a hit parade of notable buildings, 15CPW and a bunch of other Stern buildings, Liberty Mutual and Millennium Place in Boston, Foster's West Chelsea building, KPF's High Line building, The Laureate, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
    Beautiful, but what HAS to be a fake view. It's not clear to me how NYbG doesn't at least partially obstruct that view. The terraces MAY be above Woolworth, but the view will never be that clean to Brooklyn.
    I think that is a view from NYbG. For marketing purposes, it's not a terrible transgression. It does roughly approximate what it would look like from the top, and if a customer might be offended by such "blatant misinformation", they could do a little basic research, look at a map, and picture which tall buildings might be in the way when it comes to actual views.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140521_085118.jpg 
Views:	6535 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	17891

Facade coming together nicely.

I wonder what's with the weird rough-looking fluted detail between the windows. Are they going to mount decorative panels there?

What's going up is not exactly what's rendered. I suspect what look to be bronze panels in the rendering were VE'd to just be textured panels.

Perhaps there will be bronze inserts set into those panels?

Yeah, the panels have probably been nixed. I would think that they would have pre-installed mounting hardware if they were putting anything in there.

It's still a shame Moodys was demolished, but I'd say it's an improvement, or a lateral move:

I have to agree with you on that oquatanginwan. I think this new building will be a decent if not superior successor on the ground level.