Page 67 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1757636465666768697071 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1063

Thread: 99 Church Street (30 Park Place) - 82 stories, 926 ft - by Robert A.M. Stern

Well said.

Really, what's up with those windows? And hang in there 125 Greenwich is coming.

The windows I get. Metal would have helped a great deal. But faux-historicism? When is historicism faux? Is the Woolworth building also faux because it's neo-Gothic? Nothing in the middle ages looked like it. Also it's a midblock public terrace, not a porte cochere.

No, but neo-gothic was a prevalent style at the time Woolworth was built. That's why it's called neo-gothic and not just gothic. The same can be said of Beaux Arts, or Art Deco, or any other number of styles. Making a knockoff of an art deco building right now would, in fact, be faux historicism. It's not so different from a band like The Darkness. Had they existed in the 80s, they would have just been music. Now they are faux 80s music. The unfortunate term for this in architecture is of-the-time.

Anyway, I can't find a current site plan, but it looks like it is a public terrace, but that there is a new curb cut to the garage midblock on both Park and Barclay. Please forgive the inaccuracy of the original porte cochere claim. I was thinking about it, though, and 15 CPW has one without drawing as much ire. I'll have to consider that more.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
    Making a knockoff of an art deco building right now would, in fact, be faux historicism.
    Or you could call it Neo Deco or Art Deco Revival.

Well played!

The cast-stone facade on the tower is obviously inferior, but not such a big deal. I think the windows are a bigger problem.

The street level stone veneer is very attractive.

There is attention to detail. A nice touch on the HVAC building grills.

Quote Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
    Or you could see faux historicism in all it's supposed glory with the same crappy mid-block Porte-cochère. This building still dominates a landmark (Woolworth). It's still prefab, panelized, fake limestone. It still has cheap looking white-trimmed windows, whereas they could have gone for a more sophisticated bronze finish. I mean, I certainly like this building, but no less than 432 Park. It's just different.
    My post was not about quality of materials, it was about effort put forth by the architect in its design. Heck, even something as terrible as 10 Barclay across the street required some architect's input. In 30 Park Pl obviously some consideration put into making this something else besides cement and glass stacked safely as high as possible. Which is basically what 432 Park is, an exercise in engineering only. There is minimalist such as 4WTC, which I do not care much for, but you can see the architects hand in the design; then there is indolence which is what 432 Park visually represents. And if Vinoly did charge a commission I do wonder how much was saved with not having a façade, base, crown or even a window size variation to consider intellectually as well as actual implementation of such.

The terrifying thing about that tower is that they are already planning another one like it DT, albeit all glass, it is the same concept; make it as tall as possible as cheap as possible. Same façade, window treatment, floor plates, (seems like) no distinctive base, and obviously no crown for the architect to mind for more than (seemingly) 5 minutes on his desk.

And if this becomes a trend; architects have lost a good portion of their work on buildings exteriors.

Incredible how one can state that they are not talking about the quality of materials, and then complain about the (perceived) lack of quality somewhere else.

This building is formulaic for Robert Stern; he can practically crank them out in his sleep. There is nothing particularly difficult about the design of 99 Church, but that doesn't really matter, does it? It's a nice building, competently executed.

If one doesn't like cement and glass, there's a lot more of it at 56 Leonard, and of much lower quality than 432 Park. I have no problem with it, though.

432 Park has a base.

As for 432 Park not having a facade, that's not necessarily to save money. They could have sheathed the building in metal and glass, but I think that would have ruined it. A stone facade similar to 99 Church would have added non-structural dead weight. For a 1400 foot building without shear walls, that added load would have meant increasing the size of the core and/or the perimeter walls. You could say it's an engineering exercise, but I think making sure a building can remain standing is an important component of architecture.

It's debatable whether the ordinary concrete + facade of 99 Church is more expensive than the processed concrete (with more mass) of 432 Park. It appears to me that it's 99 Church that went cheap; they didn't use stone veneer embedded in concrete as was done at 15 CPW, and the windows are of lower quality.

Now if I wanted to troll 99 Church, I could make an issue of this, and go on and on about it. But as I said before, it's no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by TREPYE View Post
    My post was not about quality of materials, it was about effort put forth by the architect in its design. Heck, even something as terrible as 10 Barclay across the street required some architect's input. In 30 Park Pl obviously some consideration put into making this something else besides cement and glass stacked safely as high as possible. Which is basically what 432 Park is, an exercise in engineering only. There is minimalist such as 4WTC, which I do not care much for, but you can see the architects hand in the design; then there is indolence which is what 432 Park visually represents. And if Vinoly did charge a commission I do wonder how much was saved with not having a façade, base, crown or even a window size variation to consider intellectually as well as actual implementation of such.

The terrifying thing about that tower is that they are already planning another one like it DT, albeit all glass, it is the same concept; make it as tall as possible as cheap as possible. Same façade, window treatment, floor plates, (seems like) no distinctive base, and obviously no crown for the architect to mind for more than (seemingly) 5 minutes on his desk.

And if this becomes a trend; architects have lost a good portion of their work on buildings exteriors.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    Incredible how one can state that they are not talking about the quality of materials, and then complain about the (perceived) lack of quality somewhere else.
    I put up a perception of lack of quality when referring to 432 Park, really? I SAID lack of effort and mental exertion on part of the architects, not quality.... Chimpy, are you contorting again??

This building is formulaic for Robert Stern; he can practically crank them out in his sleep. There is nothing particularly difficult about the design of 99 Church
    I guess you mustve been there, watching him in his sleep as he cranked out different window sizes, barconies, facade detail and crown. If there is any professional architect out there to directly comment on how formulaic this is vs 432 Park; I would REALLY appreciate it.

If one doesn't like cement and glass, there's a lot more of it at 56 Leonard, and of much lower quality than 432 Park. I have no problem with it, though.
    56 Leonard is lower quality? LMAO, I vehemently disagree. Anyways in the materials (which I belive to be of similar quality), therein lies the rub, 56 leonard makes the most of the materials virtues creating a sophisticated structure that does not just aim for height, 432 Park just simply stacks it as high as possible with no regard to how ridiculously out of proportion the overall structure comes of.

Now if I wanted to troll 99 Church, I could make an issue of this, and go on and on about it. But as I said before, it's no big deal.
    Riiiiight, one draws a comparison put forth by two architecs and their product and cuz u disagree it is trolling. Always armed with those bannana peels, deterring away an architecture discussion in an architecture forum; good way to hold ur members, forum moderator.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Here we go again...

I agree that the white windows look bad (I otherwise like the building a lot). But let me offer a hypothesis (which others should shoot down if wrong). Though traditional-looking (or "faux historic" if you prefer -- I don't, the International Style has been around for 75 years versus 100 or so for Beaux Art, so there really isn't a meaningful distinction at this point, but I digress) on the exterior, like every other high end condo being built these days, I am sure it wants to looks super-modern on the interior. (No one is building interiors these days that look like apartments on the Upper West Side). The means ALL WHITE, including the windows. I suppose one can build a window frame that is bronze or black on the outside and white on the inside, but I don't think anyone does, so you have to pick your poison. (In my apartment, I have black window frames, which look like crap. I hate them.)

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    Here we go again...
    Fret not.... I have said may piece and when inevitably ZtC retorts I will have not follow up because as we know, it will not end till he gets the last word. No matter what is said or how bad the contortion/banana peel/accusation I will not reply; maybe if there is a bald-face OMG inaccuracy that I can succinctly disprove -but I don't anticipate this to be the case; so that should be it.

Quote Originally Posted by TREPYE View Post
    I put up a perception of lack of quality when referring to 432 Park, really? I SAID lack of effort and mental exertion on part of the architects, not quality.... Chimpy, are you contorting again??
    You said: "cement and glass." I mention that there is more "cement and glass" at 56 Leonard. Get it?
    I guess you mustve been there, watching him in his sleep as he cranked out different window sizes, barconies, facade detail and crown. If there is any professional architect out there to directly comment on how formulaic this is vs 432 Park; I would REALLY appreciate it.
    As you were there when 432 Park was designed, right? And again you seem to have trouble reading. The word formulaic isn't a comparative. It's a description. Stern's work is formulaic. For that matter, so is Vinoly's. So what? That's not the point. You're trying to put a quantitative value on something that doesn't matter. I guess from your criteria, Stern is really lazy compared to someone like Zaha Hadid.

56 Leonard is lower quality? LMAO, I vehemently disagree.
    As usual, missed my point, and actually, what I said. I said the concrete is of lower concrete, and added that it was not a problem for me. Meaning: I don't think that 56 Leonard is lower quality, and I like the building. I made it quite clear that I like all three of these buildings. So explain again why you are laughing.

Anyways in the materials (which I belive to be of similar quality),
    Actually, the concrete is of lower quality. That's a fact.

therein lies the rub, 56 leonard makes the most of the materials virtues creating a sophisticated structure that does not just aim for height, 432 Park just simply stacks it as high as possible with no regard to how ridiculously out of proportion the overall structure comes of.
    The concrete, or the amount of time the architect spends on it, really has nothing to do with it. You don't like the building, that's all. I get it. Everybody gets it. Maybe you can send it out on Twitter for the handful of people in the western hemisphere wh still haven't heard.

one draws a comparison put forth by two architecs and their product and cuz u disagree it is trolling.
    No, posting the same shit everywhere is trolling.

The comedy of these contortions is that you wind up stepping in your own contradictions:
    There is minimalist such as 4WTC, which I do not care much for, but you can see the architects hand in the design
    The most evident aspect of the design is the glass. Maki's design called for something more translucent, with a metallic component. We never saw the mockup. There's a video in the 4WTC thread where a Maki representative states, (paraphrase): "The facade material was chosen by the client."

So what did Maki do here?

If you still don't understand, how much time an architect spends on a design, or even who the architect is, doesn't matter at all. It's what you see. You like it or you don't. If you don't like faux deco - historical deco - neo deco, you won't like 99 Church, no matter how much effort the architect put into it.