Page 7 of 71 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: 99 Church Street (30 Park Place) - 82 stories, 926 ft - by Robert A.M. Stern

Where are they getting the FAR to do 60+ stories here? The base FAR is 15 and there's not much to buy on this block.

It's probably as-of-right.

The site is big, about the same size as Woolworth. For comparison, the 12 Barclay tower across the street has the same zoning, but the site is only half the area of 99 Church.

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

imagine how rediculously dope this would look if the modern tower was added on top of the current building base instead of in the place of it. i guess that's not viable here.

Yep, that would be sick, especially if they could execure those north/south square window sections in the same limestone and size as those on the original building.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    It's probably as-of-right.

The site is big, about the same size as Woolworth. For comparison, the 12 Barclay tower across the street has the same zoning, but the site is only half the area of 99 Church.
    The FAR here is 15. Which is a lot, but it's hard to do 60 stories that isn't ridiculously skinny with FAR of 15.

^
    It's not an office building.

12 Barclay. 56 floors on a footprint half the size.

While every young architect and every young generation of architects thinks they have to break the mold, you cannot really create coherent cities, or campuses for that matter like Yale, if every building is the representative of its own unique moment and its own self-invented set of principles and language.
    I'm glad someone said it.

^ And yet, don't we howl for endless originality right here on this forum?
    Last edited by ablarc; January 9th, 2008 at 07:27 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    This is a splendid building.

Massing somewhat influenced by ESB.

Default Old rendering...

Ablarc... this is an old rendering. Stern (architect) is expected to release a new rendering in 30-45 days. Expect less glass and something more traditional i.e., similar to Woolworth or the recently completed 15 CP West.

That's a shame because this really was an elegant attempt at fusing classical and contemporary.
    Last edited by stache; January 11th, 2008 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Deleted quote from preceding post.

Banned Member

I don't know that I would discard a Stern design outright without seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by elfgam View Post
    That's a shame because this really was an elegant attempt at fusing classical and contemporary.
    I tend to believe that this is the design.

While the article that I referred to was poorly written, I doubt that they would attribute copyright status to R. Stern if it was not his design.

When everything else about the article was sophomoric or worse, why would anyone believe that, just because the writer says so, the rendering has RAM Stern's copyright (especially when such a copywright has never appeared on any copy of the rendering that has been posted)?

From my vista, there's nothing about that rendering which shows a hint of RAM Stern.

Here is a rendering of a new 60-story RAM Stern Ritz Carlton Hotel going up in Astana, Kazakhstan ...

STREET PERSPECTIVE. Rendering: Thomas Schaller ....AERIAL VIEW TO WEST. Rendering: Thomas Schaller

Astana, the new capital of the newly independent Republic of Kazakhstan, is being developed following a 2000 master plan by the Japanese architect Kisho Kurokawa inspired by L'Enfant's plan for Washington, DC, with principal government buildings organized around a central mall. Our 60-storey Ritz-Carlton hotel and residences—to be the tallest building in Astana—is sited just off the mall. A grand glazed winter court will be a meeting place visiting dignitaries and diplomats sheltered from the city's climatic extremes. The 114-key hotel will provide banquet rooms and a state ballroom; above, 210 residences include numerous penthouses. The building sets back to reflect the program, rising to a glazed crown that will sparkle in the sunlight by day and glow like a lantern by night.

Content © 2007 Robert A.M. Stern Architects LLP.

Page 7 of 71 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast