Thread: A snowless Stockholm at newyears

Default A snowless Stockholm at newyears

I met up with a few Swedish SSCers yesterday and we took a long walk 'round town talkin' and taking pictures. So this ain't the usual touristy shots, thought you might like to see the other bits of the city too.

more pics...

and the last two...

Not too shabby, I hope?

Love the notched gables.

I wish we had a few survivors in NYC.

Hehe, those aren't the survivors, those are the faux-hanseatic fronts from the early 1900s. The real stuff is a couple kilometers away in the Old Town. Plenty of buildings in Stockholm from the "National Romance" period. Sure, they're all kinda fake in a way, but most are pretty nice. at least, way better than the crap from the 50s-80s.

It's nice to see shots of Stockholm that are not the standard "tourist shots." Graffiti!

When was the last time Stockholm was without snow this time of year? How is the lack of snow affecting the city? (Economy, culture, environment, drinking water, etc.?) Do most people want snowfall, or are they happier without it?

Well, not sure when the last time we didn't have snow at newyears was, but it's been snowless not for simple lack of snow but because it's been so warm. Warmest since records start in the (iirc) mid 1700s. It's snowed twice so far this season, once in late november and once in late december, but the snow didn't stick around long.
    As for the effects, hasn't really done much. It's a bit darker than usual (no bright snow to reflect all the city lights). Alot of us are kinda hoping for a "year without winter". Been a few "years without summer" in thet last few centuries (there was a reason so many left for the US...), so time for a reversal.

Stockholm
    date: 2006.12.31
    time: 00:53
    temp: 4c

I thought that maybe retail sales in Stockholm were higher this year -- more incentive to go outside a lot and shop. That is often how it works here.