Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Dept of Sanitation Garage in Hudson Square

Default Stars add glitz to garbage garage and roof-park plan

Stars add glitz to garbage garage and roof-park plan

By Josh Rogers

Actress Jennifer Connelly with her husband, Paul Bettany, at the Hudson Rise event, above. Lou Reed addressed the crowd, below.

From left, Laurie Anderson, James Gandolfini and Lou Reed at Monday night’s Hudson Rise “picnic” event.

Maybe you can call it garbage chic.

Billed as a neighborhood “picnic” to rally for a scaled-back version of a proposed 120-foot-tall Sanitation garage on Spring St., a boldface-name event Monday night drew some of the most famous residents of Hudson Square and North Tribeca, who joined about 600 of their neighbors at the party space of one of the world’s most famous ad firms, Saatchi & Saatchi.

“Sopranos” star James Gandolfini, now acting in “God of Carnage” on Broadway, explained to The Villager why he came out on his one night off.

“I live down here,” he said. “I’d rather not have all these trucks that are going to come down here. I don’t think they’re paying attention to what they’re doing down here, Mr. Bloomberg and the rest.”

Mayor Bloomberg “seems like a very nice man,” he said. “I like a lot of what he’s doing for the city. This is a terrible idea. There are many, many better places to put this.”

But Gandolfini, who had received a rave New York Times review that morning, does not plan to bring the subject up with the mayor if their paths should cross again: “No, I don’t know him that well,” he said.

Asked if involving well-to-do celebrities in the neighborhood fight could end up backfiring, Gandolfini, said: “I’ve lived in New York for how long — 24 years. Most of that was before I was a rich celebrity. This is a terrible idea. It’s just going to make living in New York harder as far as I’m concerned, especially down here. It’s already difficult enough, even when you have money.”

Two married celebrity couples also attended — Jennifer Connelly and Paul Bettany, and Lou Reed and Laurie Anderson — as did Rain Phoenix and Talia Balsam. R.E.M. frontman Michael Stipe; Kirsten Dunst; Casey Affleck, Phoenix’s brother-in-law; and John Slattery, Balsam’s husband, did not attend, but they appeared in a Saatchi-produced video of famous and nonfamous residents criticizing the city proposal and talking about what they say is a better plan.

Connelly told The Villager that the community’s alternative plan — called Hudson Rise — would save the city money and provide more park space, as well. The alternative plan has a garage at Spring and Washington Sts. for the two Department of Sanitation districts that cover Community Boards 1 and 2, which include Battery Park City, the South St. Seaport and the Village, in addition to the neighborhoods closer to the facility, but does not make room for Sanitation District 5, which includes Midtown and part of Chelsea.

“They’re asking for a three-district facility, which is more than this neighborhood’s fair share,” Connelly said of the city’s plan. “No one is saying don’t put anything there. We’re just saying we’ll take our fair share — actually a two-district facility is more than our fair share.”

The Canal West Coalition and the Tribeca Community Association, which organized the free event and filed a lawsuit against the city last month, are trying to stop the plan on numerous grounds, including that the city did not follow Fair Share criteria before deciding to locate the facility.

The opponents estimate the Hudson Rise plan would save about $200 million from the city plan, which they put at $519 million. The alternative includes rooftop parks on top of a two-district garage built partially underground, and selling air rights to the St. John’s Center building adjacent to the site, which is currently a UPS parking lot. UPS would continue to have parking in both the city and alternative plan.

Michael Kramer, who represents the St. John’s Center and is one of the leaders in the fight against the city, said the celebrities “bring attention to the local issue.” The effort is already paying dividends as New York 1’s “Inside City Hall” ran a segment on the project last week with Reed, Anderson and Richard Barrett, another opponent leader.

The city has not said much about the project since the lawsuit was filed last month. Previously, Sanitation officials have said the current plan is the most cost-effective alternative and would open up park space on Hudson River Park’s Gansevoort Peninsula, where many of the garbage trucks currently park. But many community leaders and local politicians have said the city has not considered any of the alternative places they have suggested to move the Gansevoort garbage trucks.

The City Council passed the Sanitation garage plan 40-1-1 late last year with the strong support of Council Speaker Christine Quinn, whose district includes the garage site. Councilmember Alan Gerson, who represents all of Tribeca and Soho, said one reason he abstained was that the city agreed to consider alternatives, and even if it doesn’t do so, that failure will help the lawsuit. He said abstaining is a “courteous way of voting No,” and that another reason he hesitated is that traditionally councilmembers do not oppose land-use measures supported by their colleague representing the district.

Gerson was the only elected leader to appear at Monday’s event, and for the most part was warmly received. But he was heckled by Sean Sweeney, leader of Downtown Independent Democrats and the Soho Alliance. Jean Grillo, a Democratic district leader and former Gerson supporter, was outraged that Gerson was allowed to address the crowd.

“If I knew they were going to let him speak, I wouldn’t have come,” she said.

Politics was in the air all night long. One of Gerson’s campaign opponents, Pete Gleason, came, as did Maria Passannante Derr, a former C.B. 2 chairperson, who is challenging Quinn this year.

Derr said Quinn is “not listening to the community.”

Andrew Doba, a Quinn spokesperson, said in a prepared statement that the speaker “worked closely with community leaders and the administration to find an equitable solution to the community’s concerns. She has even worked out a proposal with the administration to have [the Sanitation Department] work with C.B. 2 and her office to further explore possible alternative sites for the District 5 garage.”

The opponents are also challenging a 2005 settlement agreement between Friends of Hudson River Park, the city and the Hudson River Park Trust, which the plaintiffs say violated the Trust’s legal obligation to hold public hearings and submit to a board of trustees vote before being implemented.

The Trust did not respond to a request for comment, but A. J. Pietrantone, executive director of the Friends, said, “We don’t agree with that part of the lawsuit, but we do think they have a valid community concern about the siting of the garage, and we hope that can be worked out.”

Pietrantone said in a phone interview that if Sanitation Department officials requested an extension on the deadline to leave Gansevoort in order to study alternatives, his group would be open to discussing it, but they “never asked us.” The city faces financial penalties if it doesn’t leave Gansevoort by the end of 2012.

The opponents recently hit a setback when the decision on the settlement’s validity went back to Judge Michael Stallman, who presided over the 2005 case. Kramer said they “reluctantly” agreed to the city request to move that part of the suit to Stallman because opposing the move would have risked offending both judges.

Before Phil Mouquinho, a Hudson Square restaurant owner and project opponent, called up the celebrities at the end of the evening, he took one last shot at Bloomberg.

“Mayor Bloomberg, tear down that wall that exists between you and the people,” he said.

Reed then led the actors and musicians to the stage and spoke briefly about Hudson Rise: “We very much endorse this plan. … All of us thank you for coming.”

http://www.thevillager.com/villager_...saddglitz.html

I was so close to going to this "picnic" but got lazy. If only I knew Jennifer Connelly was going...

Quote Originally Posted by Merry View Post
    [SIZE=5]and that another reason he hesitated is that traditionally councilmembers do not oppose land-use measures supported by their colleague representing the district.
    I've always found this retarded. Why even have a vote?

Default In the Huffington Post - Garbage Dump Protest

Timothy Greenfield-Sanders

Posted April 3, 2009 | 01:20 AM (EST)

Lou Reed, James Gandolfini and Laurie Anderson at Tribeca Protest. Photo by Scott Gries "Enough is enough", said Tribeca resident Kirsten Dunst. After all, the neighborhood already has over 400 UPS and FedEx trucks and a garbage garage. Laurie Anderson, Lou Reed, James Gandolfini, Jennifer Connelly, Paul Bettany, Michael Stipe, John Slattery and Talia Balsam agree. Last week, these folks along with 600+ people gathered at the Saatchi & Saatchi building on Hudson Street to protest the Bloomberg Administration's plan to dump a three-district, 120' high garbage depot, a 34,000 gallon fuel storage facility and a 5,000 ton salt shed onto the neighborhood.
    This is not a "not in my backyard" situation. The city wants to truck in garbage from all over Manhattan. It's a terribly ill-conceived proposal. And we all know that New York City has seen its share of downright stupid proposals. Just imagine if Robert Moses had had his way. He wanted to level what's now Soho and portions of Washington Square and run a super highway through it? Thankfully, one woman, Jane Jacobs, galvanized support and stopped him.
    Local activist and Tribeca Community president Carole DeSaram says, "the City's plan is total insanity -- to take billions of dollars of development rights and literally build a garbage garage".
    "Where the city is going to find $500 million in this time of fiscal austerity is beyond me," said Richard Sloan, professor of Behavioral Medicine at Columbia University Medical Center. That's a half-billion dollars to ruin the neighborhood and reduce property values (and property tax revenue) and compromise the health and safety of the area residents.
    Lou Reed, always succinct, says, "To take that kind of facility and put it right across the street from two parks is beyond my comprehension and environmentally irresponsible."
    Fortunately, The Tribeca Community Association has a better plan. They propose accepting garbage from two adjacent districts, but not with the unfair burden of trucks and garbage from as far north as 59 St. and Lexington Avenue. The community plan, dubbed "St. John's Park at Hudson Rise!" integrates publicly accessible green space with critical sanitation services without devastating the neighborhood.
    I am currently reading Russell Shorto's amazing book, The Island at the Center of the World, and so Laurie Anderson's remarks really hit home. "Is this really what the coast of Manhattan should look like? When you see what other cities do with their riversides, it's startling to see how long it is taking New York to realize we live next to this national resource, a national treasure. The Hudson River is an inspiring and beautiful part of our city."
    I agree. For more information or to help fight the dump...
    Visit the web site
    Email
    Sign the online petition
    Make tax deductible donations to 501.c.3 non-profit: Tribeca Community Association, 533 Canal St., NY, NY 10013
    Protest to Deputy Mayor Edward Skyler: 212-788-3191
    Protest to Speaker Christine Quinn: 212-564-7757

FAQ: Comments and ModerationFAQ: HuffPost Accounts
    Post Comment
    Post Comment You must be logged in to comment on this article. Log in or Create an account

Want to reply to a comment? Hint: Click "Reply" at the bottom of the comment; after being approved your comment will appear directly underneath the comment you replied to

View Comments: Newest First Oldest First HuffPost's Picks Expand All Collapse All
    - + johnem See Profile I'm a Fan of johnem I'm a fan of this user permalink
    Lest we all forget that this garage had a solution at 29/30th Street that was APPROVED by their community board that mysteriously then moved to the Spring Street site. The Rose Organization (Joe Rose), a big supporter of Mayor Bloomberg just HAPPENED to own a piece of land adjacent to this 29/30th Street site... HMMMMMMM Let's benefit one developer / friend to destroy a neighborhood. Some investigative reporting needs to be done here in my opinion...

Reply Favorite Flag as abusive Posted 08:21 AM on 04/04/2009

- + DTerry See Profile I'm a Fan of DTerry I'm a fan of this user permalink
    With all of the money and effort that has gone into creating a people-oriented Hudson River park, it is truly bizarre to set it back by spending hundreds of millions of dollars on an industrial facility which will sit on the river for decades. It will inspire "what were they thinking?" comments as long as it exists. The project smacks of an expedient compromise that is designed to satisfy centralization demands by the Sanitation Department at a location whose residents were not expected to have much political clout (unlike other sites which were considered). I think the reaction is proving this wrong.

Reply Favorite Flag as abusive Posted 05:51 PM on 04/03/2009

- + CJC11 See Profile I'm a Fan of CJC11 I'm a fan of this user permalink
    The question is: why isn't the city looking at the excellent "GREEN" plan the community has taken such great pains and expense to develop as an alternative.

The community plan, dubbed "St. John's Park at Hudson Rise!" integrates publicly accessible green space with critical sanitation services without devastating the neighborhood. The plan is incredible, beautiful and GREEN. And that's what we all want for our downtown community, we have such little GREEN space as it is.

WHY is the Sanitation Dept., being so bull headed about accepting something the community is behind and they still can have their facility? Makes no sense. The Commish and the mayor's office need to wake up and see how to make this alternative plan work. Otherwise we all need to get out and march on city hall, seems that's the only way to get attention these days.

Reply Favorite Flag as abusive Posted 05:46 PM on 04/03/2009

- + jbgnyc See Profile I'm a Fan of jbgnyc I'm a fan of this user permalink
    PS. Don't let anyone tell you having a Mayor with tons of money frees them from "outside" influences. Sometime, having someone with Bloomberg's billions, "freezes" the opposition. Nobody wants to take him on. It's truly scary how much work it took to beat back his crazy plan to bring the Olympics into midtown New York (yikes). He spent millions, millions of his own dough. I know we can list many of the good things he has done in his 8 years. But too much money, too much power, and, worst yet, LITTLE or NO opposition, creates despots. Please help us fight for Hudson Rise!!

Reply Favorite Flag as abusive Posted 05:37 PM on 04/03/2009

- + jbgnyc See Profile I'm a Fan of jbgnyc I'm a fan of this user permalink
    Christine Quinn stopped listening to her district when she became Speaker and she sided with the Mayor against term limits. Lots of her fellow Democrats did the same when they realized their King (excuse me, Mayor Mike) would watch their backs by finding a way to allow them to give him and themselves a third term, despite NYC voters who said no, twice. You can bet, if the Mayor was facing the door, Quinn would be all over this in outrage because she'd be after his job. But now she needs the mayor so she screws her voters. But to remain Speaker she still has to be re-elected. As do all the others. Voters will remember.

Reply Favorite Flag as abusive Posted 05:22 PM on 04/03/2009

- + chris458976 See Profile I'm a Fan of chris458976 I'm a fan of this user permalink
    I've always liked the fact that Bloomberg was an independent because he didnt have to answer to any party. the problem I've learned is when he wants something that is totally ridiculous, no one has the balls to stand up to him. How can Quinn turn against the people that elected her and not support their wishes? This is a completely unnecessary waste of taxpayer money. How about 500MM for police, schools, fireman?

Reply Favorite Flag as abusive Posted 11:43 AM on 04/03/2009

- + Clavis See Profile I'm a Fan of Clavis I'm a fan of this user permalink
    New York City hasn't been for New Yorkers for quite some time. We're the actual residents who pay the taxes, yet we're treated like second-class citizens -- no, make that THIRD-class citizens, since we're behind the top 1% *and* the tourists...

(Not that I'm complaining about tourists -- they help keep this city going, too! Please, come visit us! See our beautiful salt piles and garbage garages!)

Reply Favorite Flag as abusive Posted 10:58 AM on 04/03/2009

- + yoyomommy See Profile I'm a Fan of yoyomommy I'm a fan of this user permalink
    And of course, the alternative plan presented by the community is not only a terrific amenity available to all the residents of NYC, it is also far less expensive to build.

Reply Favorite Flag as abusive Posted 10:27 AM on 04/03/2009

- + thefarmboy See Profile I'm a Fan of thefarmboy I'm a fan of this user permalink
    So the mayor and his sort of people spend their millions on real estate on the Upper East Side, then trash real estate in other high-end areas of the city by proposing to build facilities to dump 4 districts' trash on beautiful Hudson River side of Soho-Tribeca. Not to mention throwing $500M (as in a half a billion) towards the effort. And political stoolies like Quinn kiss her fellow politicos by blessing their nasty proposal (while passing effluent out of her rear at the constituents of the neighborhood she's elected to serve).

Rare does a community "protesting" a government action actually step up and propose a solution that not only offers a massive compromise (by giving the city their garbage facility in the proposed location, albeit not taking on 4 districts' trash, but still handling 2, which is more than their fair share), but does so in a way that improves the city for all, by adding public space, green space, AND at a savings of something like $200M.

What kind of bozo politicians are turning a blind eye to this?

Reply Favorite Flag as abusive Posted 10:22 AM on 04/03/2009

- + dadudester See Profile I'm a Fan of dadudester I'm a fan of this user permalink
    This garage is a complete outrage to the community and Cristine Quinn is an enabler of Bloomberg in dumping this monstrosity in the middle of a residential neighborhood.

Reply Favorite Flag as abusive Posted 10:06 AM on 04/03/2009

- + kronicler See Profile I'm a Fan of kronicler I'm a fan of this user permalink
    This half-billion dollar project won't just ruin the few streets that surround it, garbage trucks will compete with commuters to NewJersey on Washington & Greenwich Streets all through the far west Village and Tribeca, areas that have benefited from 20 years of investment of money and care from residents and City tax dollars. Mayor. Bloomberg is taking a quarter-century of hard work and dollars spent to develop a low rise, mixed use residential span from Battery Park City to Chelsea --all adjacent to the Hudson River-- and is trashing it. What other city in the world would put a GARBAGE FACILITY and salt storage shed on the riverfront? Barcelona, Paris, London, San Francisco...all world cities that have recognized the beauty and power of water and used it to improve quality of life. Not New York City. Somehow, New York City thinks that if you run a boardwalk and plant a line of shrubs along the river (Hudson River Park), you can crush the livable areas across the street and it's OK. Never mind that the trucks, pollution and 120'H, 3-block building will render that park almost inaccessible for the people who live the shadow of that building. New York is America's most important city and its economic engine. It deserves more than to drop a monolithic garbage building at the crossroads of 25 years of thoughtful planning, to bring it all to a screeching half. And for this Bloomberg deserves the third term he's illegitimately claimed?

Reply Favorite Flag as abusive Posted 09:29 AM on 04/03/2009

- + Den10 See Profile I'm a Fan of Den10 I'm a fan of this user permalink
    I am amazed that Bloomberg would waste $1/2 billion when budget shortfalls are so critical. The community has come up with a good, lower-cost alternative -- to eliminate the salt shed (whose salt would harm people and their pets, plants, infrastructure, etc.) and to eliminate one sanitation district from the proposed three-district garage. This would create a shorter facility that could have a public park on top and reduce over 4,200 annual truck miles for that one district.
    The Bloomberg administration talks about its concern for quality of life and environmental stewardship, but this is an instance where that's all it is -- just talk!

Reply Favorite Flag as abusive Posted 07:58 AM on 04/03/2009

- + projectsnyc See Profile I'm a Fan of projectsnyc I'm a fan of this user permalink
    The Hudson Rise would better organize the existing MN1 Garage and add the MN2 Garage to the District that it serves. It would create 2.5 acres of new parkland and potentially create a safe and iconic link between Canal Park and the Hudson River Park. The delivery of sanitation services to the Midtown MN5 district would be enhanced by locating this garage closer to the area that it serves.

Mayor Bloomberg has proposed a $10.2 MM Salt Shed facility in front of the Holland Tunnel Vent Building. Common sense tells us that this is the wrong location. More flexibility by DSNY with a goal of reducing overall salt useage is needed here. The Riverkeeper has been studying this issue and is most alarmed at the harm that salt spreading has caused to the watershed. It is toxic in the air, dangerous for small animals walking nearby, and the last thing that you would want opposite a park.

Reply Favorite Flag as abusive Posted 09:22 AM on 04/03/2009

You must be logged in to reply to this comment. Log in or

Post Dept of Sanitation Garage in Hudson Square

I took this snippet from the prior post: it is well stated and reflects my own views on this 'ill-conceived' project. Also, any one know why the the previous 29/30th street location (which seems to me a better alternative) was dropped as the designated site for this Sanitation Garage. Conspiracy theories welcome!

"Bloomberg is taking a quarter-century of hard work and dollars spent to develop a low rise, mixed use residential span from Battery Park City to Chelsea --all adjacent to the Hudson River-- and is trashing it. What other city in the world would put a GARBAGE FACILITY and salt storage shed on the riverfront? Barcelona, Paris, London, San Francisco...all world cities that have recognized the beauty and power of water and used it to improve quality of life."

Default has anyone heard?

I have yet to here the city put forth a coherent argument for why this location makes sense. I have heard the reasoning that sanitation has to move from the gansevoort peninsula but that does not justify this location being reasonable.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I hear Christine Quinn has taken another meeting with the community. It may just be CYA on her part or maybe she is finally starting to realize this thing has some serious issues...

Banned Member

Probably because the transfer station is right across West Street.

The architect's website with more images & info on the plan:

http://www.zh-architects.com/ > urban design

'Mad Men' star John Slattery is angry over proposed trash facility in Hudson Square

BY Celeste Katz

October 11th 2009

See article for video.

"Mad Men" star John Slattery is plenty mad - but not about the cutthroat world of New York advertising.

Slattery, who plays scheming executive Roger Sterling on the hit drama, is fighting city plans to build a $346 million Sanitation Department facility in his trendy Hudson Square neighborhood.

The city says the new building at the western end of Spring St., which would consolidate three sanitation districts, will open up park space elsewhere, get trucks off the street into a garage and provide direct access to the West Side Highway.

But Slattery and local architect Stas Zakrzewski - who has designed an alternate building both men say is environmentally smarter and could also save $32 million to $72 million - say the city's plan should be junked.

"There are a lot of families in the neighborhood, and they haven't been taken into account in the designing of this facility," said Slattery.

"The air quality, the traffic, the noise [are all] going to be affected."

Among the neighborhood's concerns: pedestrian safety with hundreds more daily visits to the area by garbage trucks, as well as a salt storage facility just across the highway from the river.

Zakrzewski, whose alternative features a large public park atop a lower building than the city envisions, calls the current plan an unfair burden.

"We should have one district garage in our neighborhood, and we're willing to accept two."

Slattery, whose acting credits also include "Flags of Our Fathers" and "Charlie Wilson's War," says he's not merely engaging in Hollywood histrionics.

"There are people who have been living here for years," Slattery said.

"It's not a bunch of wealthy people who are just complaining that their views are going to be blocked. It's the actual livability of the neighborhood.
    "We've been shut down. ... The mayor wants what the mayor wants, and [City Council Speaker] Christine Quinn, I guess, also wants what the mayor wants."

Not so, says a Quinn spokesman, arguing her staff has reviewed the alternative plan and ensured communication between residents and government.

Bloomberg spokesman Jason Post said talks continue, but the city plan gets two other garages off the Gansevoort Peninsula "so it can be developed into parkland in accordance with a state law and a related court order."

Sanitation also says Spring St.'s not being singled out, and other neighborhoods have consolidated facilities that serve three and even four districts.

Still, Slattery maintains the project just isn't smart - environmentally, socially or financially.

"It's a building with its head in the sand," he said.

Default Hudson Rise Benefit 10.15.09

Jane Jacobs, Star Edition

By Suzanne LaBarre

Friday, October 16, 2009 2:15 pm
    Watch out, Nicolai Ouroussoff. There’s a new architecture critic in town. And he’s a very mad man.
    John Slattery, the impeccably squinty-eyed actor who plays career scuzz Roger Sterling on AMC’s Mad Men, has no love for a chunky new sanitation facility due to rise over Hudson Square, where he lives with his wife and children, in downtown Manhattan. “It’s incredibly inefficient,” he said squinting in a slick, gently lit art gallery last night at a community rally for an alternative design. (The community being Soho, there was both a popcorn machine and wine.) “It doesn’t take into account the people that live here.”
    He went on: “The attention this received has spun the community’s concern for the as-designed project as, ‘We don’t want it in our neighborhood. Not in our backyard.’ That’s not the case at all. All we’re saying is we have a smart, better, cheaper, more responsible, more efficient, more sustainable, and more forward-looking design. It’s better in every way.”
    What Slattery and his brethren are championing is, essentially, a greener vision of the neighborhood. Hudson Square is an awkward site off the Hudson River, an industrial ghost town that has only recently fetched up with New York’s (pre-crash) condominium craze. It has since become a wealthy redoubt with scarce few amenities; an ersatz Soho. Residents say it has some of the poorest air quality and among the least public green space in the five boroughs. Now, the city’s gone and made things worse with a plan to erect a monolithic (and vaguely prison-like) 138-foot-tall garbage-truck garage over two acres.
    A counterproposal designed by Stas Zakrzewski of the Soho firm z + h architects would tuck the garage under a park dotted with forests, a sculpture garden, an ampitheater, and a seasonal pool, among other features. Hudson Rise, as it’s called, won some coveted awards from the AIA and has plenty of support from the neighborhood, which just happens to be lousy with celebrities. Among its endorsers: Kirsten Dunst, Casey Affleck, Jennifer Connelly and Paul Bettany, Laurie Anderson and Lou Reed, and Slattery and his wife Talia Balsam, who plays his ex-wife on Mad Men. This is Jane Jacobs, star edition.

A rendering of z + h architects’ counterproposal. Click here to view more images.
    It’s also a game of political football. Bill Thompson, the Democratic candidate for mayor, swept into the gallery last night to deliver a brief speech, promising, “If I were elected mayor, Hudson Rise would happen.” The operative word, of course, is if. Thompson is up against incumbent billionaire Michael Bloomberg, who has out-spent his rival 16 times and who, by all accounts, eats kittens for breakfast. Bloomberg is famously loose on development. The rest of the evening unfolded rather bizarrely, with assorted political and civic figures rising to the podium to praise Thompson, and it wasn’t clear if the event was a rally for Hudson Rise or for the Democratic challenger himself. Any new development in Bloomberg’s New York becomes a proxy—the mayor against the little people—but the timing of this one ensured it would be put to political use.
    In this case, the little people happen to be celebrities, and even they can’t force the city to budge. A 2005 court order resulting from a lawsuit filed by another civic group requires the Department of Sanitation to move a fleet of garbage trucks from an existing site on the Hudson—and soon. “We’ve been to hearings,” Slattery said. “[New York City Council Speaker] Christine Quinn is representing the mayor in this situation. I went to the hearing and they sat there and listened to the Department of Sanitation make its case. Then when we got up there to make our case, Christine Quinn left the room and the rest of the people in the room pulled out BlackBerries and were, you know, texting and emailing. It hasn’t gotten the attention it deserves.”
    Slattery has a point. New York has made sport of bad planning, from the demolition of Penn Station decades ago to the psychic mess of Atlantic Yards. PlaNYC, Bloomberg’s sweeping effort to green the city, was supposed to change everything. But what’s green on paper doesn’t always translate to the street. The Department of Sanitation facility meets PlaNYC’s imperative because it’s expected to earn LEED certification even though just looking at the thing, it’s obvious there’s nothing particularly green about it. “I think some of the problems in New York City is the architecture that gets approved,” said Slattery. “This is a chance to actually implement something community-related, sustainable, and forward-thinking.”
    Said Jason Post, a spokesman for the mayor’s office: “The other alternatives have been studied and we continue to have an open door to the community.” He adds: “There has not been an alternative we’ve seen that is either not dramatically more expensive or otherwise superior to the current plan.” Which is to say, tough luck, folks. Talk about maddening.
    Top photo, Suzanne LaBarre; project renderings, courtesy z + h architects

1 Comment »
    1. Last night’s event was an endorsement of Hudson Rise, a two-district solution with community amenities. Mr. Thompson joined the event to endorse Hudson Rise — and since the Bloomberg Administration has persisted in lying about the reality of their Gulag DSNY and most of the press has quoted them as though it were gospel, defeating this bunch in City Hall seems the only path to thoughtful development of the remaining and few blocks on the lower west side yet to be transformed.
      The City’s 3 district facility was proposed AFTER a plan similar to Hudson Rise was approved by the City Council for 12th Avenue and 30th Street to provide services to 2 of the 3 districts that would now be served by the current DSNY plan. Why was their version of Hudson Rise viable for Chelsea and not viable for Spring Street?
      Hudson Rise is less expensive, more sustainable and completely acceptable to the people who will live near it. It would still be a garbage facility, by the way, proving that we aren’t NIMBY’s. They can put it on our backyard…just actually be sure that it’s still a yard when you finish.
      Comment by Rosemary Kuropat — October 16, 2009, @ 3:37 pm

Default Realize hudson rise benefit a success!

REALIZE HUDSON RISE BENEFIT A SUCCESS!

by Joelle Panisch

Supporters of the proposed Hudson Rise, a smarter alternative for the city’s space to house it’s garbage trucks and salt shed, held a benefit last night to raise funds and awareness. The turnout was great for a rainy Thursday. In addition to the many district #2 residents in attendance were political supporters such as Margaret Chin, Yetta Kurland and most notably mayoral candidate William Thompson as the keynote speaker.

Said Thompson “[it is] cheaper for the city of New York, is environmentally sound, and adds to the community. […] I promise you that if I become Mayor of New York your project, The Hudson Rise, will happen. It’s smarter, its better, it is good for the community and we should use it as a model and replicate it across the city of New York and involve other communities in the planning of their own neighborhood.”

Organizer Rosemary Kuropat applauded Thompson for his support and endorsed him for his mayor. Kuropat was also extremely critical of the Bloomberg administration saying, “It doesn’t matter to the Bloomberg administration what the community thinks. […] What matters to the Bloomberg administration is what Mike Bloomberg thinks.”

Also in attendance were local celebrities such as Lou Reed, Laurie Anderson, and John Slattery.

For more on the Hudson Rise go to www.realizehudsonrise.com.

The Hudson Rise idea sounds pretty good. That makes this entire situation confusing for 2 reasons:

1. Why doesn't the city seem to be willing to seriously engage the Hudson Rise plan? Is it a costs issue, or just one of stubbornness/losing face?

2. If it is a costs issue, why don't some of the celebrities pony up, or hold a few dinners and/or bachelor(ette) auctions to raise money? I can understand the city not wanting to pay an extra $20M for this thing to be built (even though it spends many times that number on various parks around the city, and park proposed for the top of the structure seems like a pretty damn good park). But whatever the costs differential is, it seems that sort of star power could raise it if they really wanted to. Anyone know if that's in the works, and, if not, why not?

The City wants the new building to house vehicles for THREE Sanitation Districts (plus Sanitation Dept. offices, parking, fuel loading, salt storage & space for UPS).

My understanding is that Hudson Rise would accommodate all of those aspects, except that it would house vehicles for only two SDs (and possibly not include the salt storage space).

Default Endorsing a greener, greater hudson square

FACT SHEET

The lower west side community has been actively opposing a Department of Sanitation New York (DSNY) plan to construct a 3-district sanitation garage and maintenance facility on Spring and Washington Streets in the Hudson Square neighborhood overlooking the Hudson River.

The proposed facility, which will rise 138' including mechanicals, will be the tallest building in the area, and the City has exempted itself from setback requirements and other standard building codes, thus ensuring that the area, including parts of the Hudson River Park, will be cast in shadow for
    large parts of every day. Its highly touted green roof will be inaccessible to the public.

The DSNY plan will deteriorate air quality
    Although the DSNY-conducted Federal Environmental Impact Statement states that the mega-garage will enhance the neighborhood, the truth is far bleaker: it will add almost 600 vehicle trips daily to an area that is already over-run with Holland Tunnel traffic, and while DSNY states that
    these additional vehicles won't deteriorate air quality "substantially," the City has been under Federal order for a decade to improve air quality in that part of town.

The DSNY Plan will add to traffic congestion
    While representatives of the City have gone to great lengths to talk about their new green fleet of garbage trucks, DSNY has purchased just three hybrid collection trucks out of a fleet of 2,196 trucks! Further, not all those "vehicle trips" through the local streets will be trucks, the City will
    provide free parking to Sanitation Department employees, despite Mayor Bloomberg's aggressive efforts to get private cars off the streets of Manhattan. In a letter dated November 19, 2008, Deputy Mayor Ed Skyler promised to reduce the number of employee parking spaces by 50%, from 74 to 37. However, the facility design approved by the New York City Design
    Commission on September 14, 2009 reflected no reduction in parking spaces for private cars.

[COLOR="rgb(0, 100, 0)"]The DSNY Plan has a record-setting price tab[/COLOR]
    While the Department of Sanitation argues that a consolidated 3-district facility is more efficient and will save money, in fact, this mega-facility will be the most expensive ever built in New York City at a half billion dollars. Two aspects of the City's plan contributed to this extraordinary ticket price: first, the City is buying air rights from UPS, whose distribution facility is currently located on the site (with trucks parked all around the current building). The City's plan is to pay 2007 prices in 2010 -- more than three times the going rate.

Second, in addition to the significantly above-market price tag that taxpayers will be repaying for decades, the City will build a brand new distribution facility for UPS on the first floor of the new sanitation facility--at the City's expense. The DSNY plan will add $107 in debt and debt service costs for every man, woman and child in New York City.

[COLOR="rgb(0, 100, 0)"]The DSNY Plan is energy inefficient[/COLOR]
    Parking and maintenance facilities for large trucks are generally low rise affairs because of the large turning radii of garbage trucks, which require very wide ramps to turn. Fully 44% of the five-story facility designed by Dattner Arcitects/Weisz+Yoes Architecture on behalf of DSNY will be consumed by ramps that will be empty most of the day. That translates to nearly half of all space that must be lighted, heated and cooled 24 hours per day, seven days a week, a collossal misuse of energy in today’s world.

[COLOR="rgb(0, 100, 0)"]The DSNY Plan is environmentally abusive[/COLOR]
    Salt Shed Poison. Further imperiling the local community as well as the adjacent Canal and Hudson River Parks is the City plan to add a 7,000 ton road salt shed that will rise more than 82' high, directly across Canal Street from the mega garage. Airborne salt will corrode area buildings, and has been shown to affect birds' ability to navigate, to kill plantings, and cause respiratory ailments in children and the elderly.

Federal Flood Plain. Worse, the site is a Federal Flood Plain, which has been, until now, a de facto reason not to site a road salt shed in a particular location. If the Sierra Club's predictions of a period of intense hurricanes in the region produce the tidal surges that Executive Director Carl Pope claimed in a joint appearance with Mayor Bloomberg on Charlie Rose (April 22, 2009), there will be more than property damage: receding water will drag 7,000 tons of toxic road salt into the Hudson River.

[COLOR="rgb(0, 100, 0)"]REALIZE HUDSON RISE: a community solution[/COLOR]
    Despite claims of the City of a “NIMBY” reaction by area residents and small businesses, the local community has proposed a two-district facility in the same location. Called Hudson Rise is designed to conform to local area heights at 70’ H, and is designed for sustainability; for example, run-off water will be recycled to wash trucks. Hudson Rise is right-sized for the neighborhood and would save money.

The Community plan is an appropriately sized two-district facility that would save the city nearly $40 million, including the cost of siting and building a facility for the third sanitation district elsewhere.

Importantly, Hudson Rise would add 2.5 acres of publicly-accessible green space to the area, which has the second lowest green space to residents ratio in the entire city. The Friends of Hudson River Park has supported the plan, despite delays Hudson Rise could cause to their own park development plans because, as Executive Director A.J. Pietrantone stated in a letter to
    supporters on September 21, 2009, the plan better addresses community concerns and "enhances Hudson River Park in the process."

To date, the Bloomberg Administration and the Department of Sanitation has held several meetings with the community but has been unwilling to budge on their plans for the mega-garage on the Hudson River waterfront. City Council Speaker Christine Quinn, who represents the area (Council District 3), has been neutral at best, and in fact, shepherded the DSNY plan through the Land Use Review Process of the City Council.. Many people believe that her unwillingness to stand up to the Bloomberg plan and support Hudson Rise led to the strong opposition she faced in the September 15th primary, in which she garnered just 52% of the vote. In her last two runs for election, she ran without opposition.
    Last edited by projectsnyc; October 19th, 2009 at 08:15 AM.