Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1425 Second Avenue a.k.a. 255 East 74th Street - condo - UES - by Hugh Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Is there even ONE interesting building going up on the UES?
    There was one at 980 Madison, and they killed it. I attended a lecture by someone from Foster & Partners and he showed the double skinned curtain wall, the rooftop garden, and the sustainable systems of the tower. It would've been nothing short of the most progressive residential building in New York. Anyway he had quite a bit to say about New York's struggling ability to change and adapt. Historic cities all over Europe such as Coppenhagen embrace the future while still preserving the past, why people here feel that it's either or is beyond me.

There are plenty of sites throughout the UES which don't come with the same restrictions where Foster's building could go up -- and most likely it would be even more successful if it weren't forced into a shotgun wedding with an already existing base structure. But all we get are these banal boxes.

Here, architecture is often just used to make more money or gain public approval. Extra spending on design isn't necessary in this case and indiscriminate buyers will still snap the units up like hotcakes. Only city policy can change this, but they've been admirably focused on affordable housing, which isn't favorable for decent architecture either.

Stu_Jo
    Big hole. Underground parking?
    Last edited by Derek2k3; March 10th, 2007 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdevidad View Post
    I ... lived at 75th and 2nd for 2 years not long ago. I can't believe half or more of that block is gone. That block was a really a nice little block, a mini restaurant row, various ethnic foods and maybe a bar. Just feels wierd to me they're all gone.
    Can you remember some specific establishments?

Seems like a shame. I'm with Midtown Guy; I suspect I prefer what was there over what will replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peteynyc1 View Post
    I have lived in this area for quite a while. You a totally correct, this was one of the coolest and most colorful blocks on second ave (there arent many really). It is unfortunate to see another nice block lost and be replaced by a cold corporate-like tower....
    Consider, however, that this tower is SUBSTANTIALLY nicer than the POS that Macklowe is developing on 53rd and Madison.

Looks like Worldwide did put some extra money into the design....it's not SLCE

http://www.h3hc.com/projects.asp?sub...stNo=worldwide

I'd like to see the whole tower.

It looks quite good in my opinion.

Lots for tots at 255 East 74th Street

26-MAR-07

The World-Wide Holdings Corporation is developing a 30-story residential condominium building with large apartments on the northwest corner of Second Avenue at 74th Street.

The tower's entrance will be at 255 East 74th Street.

H3 Architects, of which Hugh Hardy is a principal, is designing the building, which will have 87 apartments.

The lower floors will have loft-like duplex units and several units will have "in-residence playrooms just for the kiddies." "These residences are custom designed for both empty nesters as well as growing families who need more space and crave a wide range of kid and adult-oriented amenities," according to Richard Lebow, director of marketing and sales for the World-Wide Group.

The building, which replaced several low-rise buildings that had popular restaurants, will have a 42,000-square-foot Equinox facility on the ground and second floors.

It will also have more than 2,400 square feet of facilities for "tots, tweens and teenagers, such as a toddler room with a cruising wall, a climbing tree house, a play zone for crafts and a reading area" and a game room "designed for tweens and teens will include an arcade with pin ball machines, extreme dance and basketball arcade games, as well as foosball, air hockey and table tennis" and a "1,500-square-foot outdoor 'Tot Lot' and indoor lounge, kitchenette and party room will also be available."

The building, whose plan has some slight angles, will be clad in glass and metal panels and will be 338 feet tall.

The top floor will have three penthouses and a common roof deck. The building will have a 24-hour doorman, valet/concierge services, Sub-Zero refrigerators and Miele appliances, 10-foot-high ceilings, Toto toilets, radiant heating in the master bath floors, a private outdoor garden, and some apartments will have fireplaces, balconies and terraces.

Completion is anticipated for late 2008 and prices are estimated to range from $2,500,000 to $7,000,000.

James Stanton is a member of Casa 74th Development LLC, which is part of World-Wide Holdings, the developer, which is also planned to erect an apartment house and school on on the southwest corner of Second Avenue and 57th Street. Victor Elmaleh, a well-known artist and squash player, is chairman of World-Wide, which has in recent years been involved in numerous residential conversion projects including the Steiner Building in Chelsea and 50 Murray Street, 53 Park Place, 88 Greenwich Street and 71 Broadway in Lower Manhattan and 137 Reade Street in TriBeCa.

Copyright 1994-2007 CITY REALTY.COM INC.

Tearing down all those walk-ups with great retail for only 87 units is just not worth it. These height limits are ridiculous....imagine a 50 story tower on half the lot. Makes more sense to me. Plus, why not upzone 2nd ave a bit in anticipation of the subway?

This tower is better than average, but will deaden that corner.

The Dude Abides

Fat and ungainly.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

You sure get around anti, thanks for all the photos.

You're very welcome. Always glad to contribute a little photo updating myself.

Click on pic to enlarge

A Fine Blog

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast