Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1425 Second Avenue a.k.a. 255 East 74th Street - condo - UES - by Hugh Hardy

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Default 1425 Second Avenue a.k.a. 255 East 74th Street - condo - UES - by Hugh Hardy

This new development is on the NW corner of Second Ave. and 74th St.

Demolition permits have already been issued for 7 walk-ups currently on the site (see photo below).

Indications on the DOB permits (and from the looks of the rendering) are that SLCE are the architects.

Renderings taken from RFK.

That's a decent looking building. Are the buildings that will be razed nice ones with cornices or P's O S?

The buildings are already gone, were removed rather quickly. They were nothing special but added to the "charm" of second avenues small non-corp stores and unique shop scene. I read (and u can see in the rendering) that Equinox has already been secured as a major tenant with a huge new gym. I will take that over a bank at least. You can sort of see from the picture what they looked like and I am guessing they would fall into your infamous POS catagory. I bet this new building will command high $ per sq ft prices.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    That's a decent looking building.
    Is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Peteynyc1 View Post
    The buildings are already gone, were removed rather quickly. They were nothing special...
    Were these buildings discussed in a prior thread? I recall somewhere a discussion over the fall or summer re: buildings near the Turkish place and some other restaurants on the west side of 2nd in the 70's.

the developer is James Stanton & Victor Elmaleh of World Wide Holdings,
    they in the past have developed the Milan Tower
    http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?p=24608
    and http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=10981

That's an extremely ugly building with no character and nothing to add in the way of streetscape or charm.
    What a blind shame.
    I once loved to watch glass towers rise. I thought it was the future. But the way these bases are being contrived, they are wiping out the character of New York that really matters, what happens on the street, not just in the sky.

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy View Post
    That's an extremely ugly building with no character and nothing to add in the way of streetscape or charm.
    What a blind shame.
    I once loved to watch glass towers rise. I thought it was the future. But the way these bases are being contrived, they are wiping out the character of New York that really matters, what happens on the street, not just in the sky.
    this is what you are going to get when the Architect is SLCE...

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    Demolition permits have already been issued for 7 walk-ups currently on the site
    They are all gone already...

February 23, 2007:

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    Were these buildings discussed in a prior thread? I recall somewhere a discussion over the fall or summer re: buildings near the Turkish place and some other restaurants on the west side of 2nd in the 70's.
    Wow, I just came across this thread. I live downtown now but lived at 75th and 2nd for 2 years not long ago. I can't believe half or more of that block is gone. That block was a really a nice little block, a mini restaurant row, various ethnic foods and maybe a bar. Just feels wierd to me they're all gone.

I think the Upper East Side height limits are to blame. Since developers can't go up they build out to attain a profitable square footage. I can't believe the community hasn't become outraged yet, they must only care about height.

Is there even ONE interesting building going up on the UES?

Banned Member

I fear the interesting ones are all coming down

Quote Originally Posted by ccdevidad View Post
    Wow, I just came across this thread. I live downtown now but lived at 75th and 2nd for 2 years not long ago. I can't believe half or more of that block is gone. That block was a really a nice little block, a mini restaurant row, various ethnic foods and maybe a bar. Just feels wierd to me they're all gone.
    I have lived in this area for quite a while. You a totally correct, this was one of the coolest and most colorful blocks on second ave (there arent many really). It is unfortunate to see another nice block lost and be replaced by a cold corporate-like tower. The UES already lacks decent diverse restaurant choices, and they just lost 4 or 5 more.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    I think the Upper East Side height limits are to blame. Since developers can't go up they build out to attain a profitable square footage. I can't believe the community hasn't become outraged yet, they must only care about height.
    Instead of focusing on height, city planning and misguided NIMBYs should be implementing some sort of zoning requirement that forces a developer to put back in place the same sort of businesses that were displaced for the new development.

If there were originally, let's say, two restaurants and a cafe on the site, then after construction, the retail spaces in the new building should have once again two restaurants and a cafe, not one big Wachovia bank branch instead.

But of course, in this city, something as sensible and smart as that will never happen. They'll probably just put a stop to all new developments or place an even more stringent height limit as a solution, thinking that will solve the problem.

Fools. There seems to be no shortage of them in this city.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast