Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fun dating ideas

I don't think the dancing thing is really important. Do people really do that on dates on the city? I can't imagine that hitting Bungalow 8 or something is really going to ramp up the romance factor of the evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau View Post
    I don't think the dancing thing is really important. Do people really do that on dates on the city?
    Times sure have changed.

You bet -- dancing used to be the thing that got it all going ...

Exclamation Warning: Valentines Day Women

This time of year, men have to watch out for the Valentines Day woman. (I'm not abbreviating that.) It's the woman who is so desperate to have a date, complete with flowers and chocolates, on Valentines Day that she will go out with any men -- even ones she wouldn't look at other times of the year -- from now until that day.

If you think this is a small minority of women, think again. Madison Avenue et al has programmed a sizeable percentage of women to believe that they are inadequate, or just plain losers, if they don't have a date, flowers and chocolates on that day.

For the record, I don't feel as if I'm betraying the female sex; on the contrary, I am helping them.

Default Ideas from an non-local

I've listed 6 ideas below, I guess it depends on the type of girl/age/weather

Option 1
    I'm kind of bias but Ice Skating @ the Rockefeller Centre?? Ice skating is always a good 'ice breaker' pardon the pun. Even if you fall it just makes you look fun.

Then you could go for drinks in the Rainbow Room....

I thinks it's a good idea to do an activity like this prior to drinks because if conversation is hard you can revert back to either of your performances on the rink, i.e. I am so bad, you were amazing.. etc

Option 2
    Eat somewhere different. Why not try a cuisine that seems really unusual that she has never tried before. Take her to a Nepalesse if she's not had one, or some cool Fusion Restraunt. Also try places where the meal is as an experience- like in a Japanese restraunt as the chef's table.

This could go either way. Either you pick a bad restraunt and look stupid... or you could open her eye's to a new type of cuisine...which would make you seem fun and exciting by introducing her to new things.

Option 3
    I would recomend this if you don't know her very well and want to come off looking strong but don't really know what food she likes..plus don't want to ask so as not to seem incapable of booking a suitable restraunt.

Make a reservation at like 30 different top restraunts all different types of food etc.

Then just ask her where she wants to go or what kind of food she fancies...
    if she says "I fancy British cuisine" (Obviously a good choice ) then you could say, I figured you would say that so I booked for Gordon Ramsey's @ 8 just in case...making you seem like you were very intuitive as to want she wants, whilst also seeming open to pleasing her rather than just going where you had managd to get a table.

Alternativley you could not say anything and turn up at a posh restraunt...seeming like you booked last minute and you are soo important that they still fit you in.

Option 4

Although you live in/near NY and might see loads of tourist attractions every day in passing...have you been on them all??

I would say that 99.9% of Londoners have never been on the London Eye, been to the Tower of London or the National Portrait Gallery or even taken a photo of themselves stood in front of Big Ben. Anyway the point I am making is that you often live next to things but never visit them. So going to them can acctually make a good date... its like being a tourist without the getting lost.

This is the kind of thing I did with my fiancÚ when we first met ... and we had a great time.

Option 5
    Oxygen bar..if you have one.

It's where all the air is 100% oxygen... usually in a vault type room below ground. When you couple these together it is meant to give the same sensation that cavers get. This would be really relaxed for drinks and talking, whilst also being very different.

Option 6
    I went to the original Blind restraunt in Switzerland a few months ago and it was great.... aparently one has opened in New York.

A blind restraunt has no light whatsoever. Your server is normally blind and you basically cannot see your food. Its really fun and is meant to make the food taste better.

The good thing here is that you can just concentrate on talking.. a good option I think.

Sean, I have a legitimate question for you about your date. What type of date is this? Depending on how you know her, I would recommend different things.

How did you meet her?

Through friends and you don't know her
    Through friends and you already know her
    Randomly in some place like a club, bar, or airport
    Through the Internet, dating service
    At work
    A friend or an ex

And what are your goals?

Hookup
    Short-term
    Long-term/marriage, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    I searched, but there was no thread How did we miss this topic.

Anyways, taking a new girl out on Friday... let's hear it

Frank I love Option 3... it goes along with a dating tip given to me in class by a professor.

I will try to put it in the words of the excentric 60+ yr old professor

"While you are out on the town courting a fine young lady, if you are not a wine aficionado, the best thing to do is open your wine list, glance at the 2nd cheapest wine on the list and commit it to memory. Look over at your date and say they do not have any wine that I like. Once the waiter comes ask if they have a bottle of the wine you have memorized. This was my secret to success back in my dating days."

Ah, going for the second cheapest wine is too obvious. Everyone knows that trick, so either cheap out or pay up.

Ah, going for the second cheapest wine is too obvious. Everyone knows that trick, so either cheap out or pay up.
    Or take a wine tasting and you will learn how to pick a good cheap wine from a list.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisIsntMyRealName View Post
    Sean, I have a legitimate question for you about your date. What type of date is this? Depending on how you know her, I would recommend different things.

How did you meet her?

Through friends and you don't know her
    Through friends and you already know her
    Randomly in some place like a club, bar, or airport
    Through the Internet, dating service
    At work
    A friend or an ex

And what are your goals?

Hookup
    Short-term
    Long-term/marriage, etc.
    I met her through friends. Short term I guess? I dunno, I'm just having fun. But I'd like this thread to apply to everyone looking for things to do/places to go.

I like all the places you guys mention. I like FrankHegly's Oxygen Bar and the Blind restaurant. Those sound fun.

just a quick question:
    does the guy in NY ALWAYS pay for the girl on the date?

Depends on the girl... and the guy.

You don't need a wine tasting class to know from good, cheap wine. Just do some research, buy a few bottles, and go at it. Hell, there's a first date for you.

As for the payment question: the person who asked the other out on the date should always offer to pick up the check. The response that person gets should be pretty telling. Back in my dating days, I would always offer half, and if refused, would pick up the tab for something else later. Be very wary of a woman who never offers to pay for something.

You don't need a wine tasting class to know from good, cheap wine. Just do some research, buy a few bottles, and go at it. Hell, there's a first date for you.

As for the payment question: the person who asked the other out on the date should always offer to pick up the check. The response that person gets should be pretty telling. Back in my dating days, I would always offer half, and if refused, would pick up the tab for something else later. Be very wary of a woman who never offers to pay for something.
    I always offer to pay. I have broken up with girls though in the past because I always payed and they never offered. A relationship is a two-way street. Even though I was making good money at the time, it was the principle of the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Stern
    I always offer to pay. I have broken up with girls though in the past because I always payed and they never offered.
    I assume that these girls also never:

- Made you a substantial dinner, lunch or breakfast. Especially dinner.

- Packed picnic lunches/beverages for the both of you.

- Contributed free passes to movies, museums, etc. to the date.

- Got you tickets to something that you (not necessarily she) wanted to see/participate in.

- Bought you a present (not birthday, holiday, or Valentines) -- just because you kept on eyeing it in store windows.

- Carried a "cute" baggie of quarters for any time quarters are useful.

- Spent time and effort providing (non-bedroom, lol) services for you. Random examples: Editing your thesis; going on a pesky, time-consuming errand for you; finding you a good accountant...

So many girls are urged by older generations to never pay for anything on a date. Unfortunately, many elders forget to tell the very same girls that they must pay for some things in a roundabout way. (See list above.) Otherwise, the guy will begin to believe (correctly or not) that the girl is self-centered and that he's being used. Girls, are you listening?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast