Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Verrazano-Narrows Bridge - Designed by Othmar Ammann

There is a pedestrian/bicycle path on the Queensboro Bridge. Or did you mean separate ones?

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Merry View Post
    There is a pedestrian/bicycle path on the Queensboro Bridge. Or did you mean separate ones?
    Where is it?

I ride across often...
    Last edited by scumonkey; October 19th, 2014 at 02:24 AM. Reason: better pic

Ahhh, you beat me to it, SM!

The North Outer Roadway was converted into a permanent pedestrian walk and bicycle path in September 2000.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queensboro_Bridge

http://katiessweatylife.wordpress.co...nsboro-bridge/

Clearly marked instructions that some people ignore .

http://www.streetsblog.org/2013/10/1...-in-manhattan/

I've walked across that. It's not enjoyable because you have to look over your shoulder every five seconds. I do not consider that a pedestrian pathway.

They really should consider turning that single outer lane on the bridge's south side (back?) into a pedestrian walkway. It also has one of the best views of the skyline anywhere -- where the city seems to rise like Oz. The LIC community board could successfully push for this given the amount of development slated around Queens Plaza.

Last edited by Derek2k3; October 19th, 2014 at 12:09 PM.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

I don't mind the walk coming from Queens until you get near 1st. Ave. Then it becomes a free for all until you can get to a sidewalk.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Speeding bikes and pedestrians don't really mix well in a tight pathway like that, especially after that horrible accident in Central Park a few weeks ago, where a lady pedestrian died after getting hit by a bicyclist.

The Brooklyn Bridge is another one where both pedestrians and bicyclist have to dodge each other.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    Speeding bikes and pedestrians don't really mix well in a tight pathway like that, especially after that horrible accident in Central Park a few weeks ago, where a lady pedestrian died after getting hit by a bicyclist.

The Brooklyn Bridge is another one where both pedestrians and bicyclist have to dodge each other.
    Bikes should be banned from the Brooklyn Bridge , its way to congested for them...

Bikes should be banned from the Brooklyn Bridge , its way to congested for them...
    NO- It would be better if those clueless walkers were made to stay within the walking lane, and not meander all over the bike zone as well.

I second that. NYC bikers are perfect angels, after all. They never run red lights and always yield to pedestrians.

I never said that either ...but no denying that on the Brooklyn bridge, pedestrians have all but taken over the bike lane.

It's too narrow, with way to many tourists. I walked it recently. There's too much pedestrian traffic to keep the lane separation.

Quote Originally Posted by scumonkey View Post
    NO- It would be better if those clueless walkers were made to stay within the walking lane, and not meander all over the bike zone as well.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234