Thread: Moving from the UK (information)

Default Moving from the UK (information)

Hi everyone,

I've been redirected here to ask some questions, people are saying this forum is very friendly to do so.

I did read some posts that are already answering some questions, but I have some others a bit more specific.

I'm 33 years old (french), working in the Internet industry (I'm a developer basically) in a very good award-winning company in London. Life is not exactly as it should be, at least in my opinion and we (my wife, my son and I) are starting to think about moving to NY. Well, my son doesn't really think about it, he's 2 years old

Anyway, before making any real move, I'm trying to figure out what my life would be in NY.

I know it will be hard to manage the visas, I didn't read yet everything well.

About the job, I think great company in NY might be interested by my profile. I won't describe everything but basically, it seems people think I'm a good one I should be able to earn between 100-120k year if I believe in what I saw so far.

Now the question would be:

1. Do you think a company will bother helping a non US citizen if they find his profile interesting? I mean helping by helping for the visa to relocate. Would that be a common situation or they probably won't care at all?

I checked some posts here and also some website that are calculating taxes (sorry the us tax system is a bit alien for me for now), and it seems I should end up with about 70k (from 100k) in my pocket.

2. Does 30% taxes look like what it should be in NY?

I'm also used in the countries I lived in (france and uk) to have a public social system, at least for medical care.

3. If I have to pay a health insurance for me, my wife and my son, how much does it cost? I know there are probably a lot of different prices but I'm just trying to get a global idea.

4. Beside expenses such as rent, transport, taxes and health insurance, is there other "big expenses" in NY I should think about? (maybe other taxes I don't know about?)

5. is there a kind of "council tax" in the US? basically a tax you pay when you live somewhere (in the UK I pay a 100 pounds a month...).

I had a look to some properties in Queens and Long Island, I'm not going to live in Manhattan. It doesn't look that expensive (I currently pay a 50 m 1100 pounds a month in London).

6. Are these 2 areas safe? I need a clean and peaceful area for my wife and my son (and very green would be wonderful).

7. Is there any way I can find out how are the different areas in NY? (for example, I've never been there, but I wouldn't go to harlem). ? Maybe you know site that are talking about that (I found some links here, but they're not working anymore)?

9. Are nurseries and child minders expensive? I saw prices between 800 and 1400 dollars / month, does it sound right? Basically it would be as expensive as in London. Maybe you know better solutions? Is the government doing anything for that (free program, pre-school)?

And to come back about the visa.

10. If I get one because a company helped me relocate there, how hard and how long you think it will be to get the visas for my sons and wife?

Sorry for the long post and probably questions that are basic for you, but I'm not a US citizen and the system is quite different.

I hope you guys can help us out!

Thanks in advance.

R
    Last edited by Romu; May 4th, 2009 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Romu View Post
    1. Do you think a company will bother helping a non US citizen if they find his profile interesting? I mean helping by helping for the visa to relocate. Would that be a common situation or they probably won't care at all?
    Assuming they consider you better than the applicants they can choose from in the US, yes.

2. Does 30% taxes look like what it should be in NY?
    Probably over 35% after both federal and state taxes are paid.

3. If I have to pay a health insurance for me, my wife and my son, how much does it cost? I know there are probably a lot of different prices but I'm just trying to get a global idea.
    If you cannot get from your employer, you are generally shit out of luck. For a family of 3, we are talking at least several hundred USD a month for good coverage.

4. Beside expenses such as rent, transport, taxes and health insurance, is there other "big expenses" in NY I should think about? (maybe other taxes I don't know about?)
    Not really. Living is generally fairly expensive, although if you are coming from London, it is cheaper than what you are used to. Sales tax on items are 8.3something%

5. is there a kind of "council tax" in the US? basically a tax you pay when you live somewhere (in the UK I pay a 100 pounds a month...).
    There is real estate tax, although if you are renting, all of this is included, so the rental price you see in ads are the full deal you have to pay. Other than electricity and utilities etc of course, but that is the same everywhere.

I had a look to some properties in Queens and Long Island, I'm not going to live in Manhattan. It doesn't look that expensive (I currently pay a 50 m 1100 pounds a month in London).
    London is (considerably) more expensive than New York is.

6. Are these 2 areas safe? I need a clean and peaceful area for my wife and my son (and very green would be wonderful).
    As safe as any million+ population city is going to be, really. You're used to living in a big city, no need to worry. I moved here from a town of 20k, and still haven't found it bothersome

7. Is there any way I can find out how are the different areas in NY? (for example, I've never been there, but I wouldn't go to harlem). ? Maybe you know site that are talking about that (I found some links here, but they're not working anymore)?
    Get a Time Out guide or something. nycgo.com has some decent information as well. No reason not to go to Harlem.

9. Are nurseries and child minders expensive? I saw prices between 800 and 1400 dollars / month, does it sound right? Basically it would be as expensive as in London. Maybe you know better solutions? Is the government doing anything for that (free program, pre-school)?
    Sounds about right. And I think as far as pre-school, there are few public options, although I don't have kids so I don't know for sure.

10. If I get one because a company helped me relocate there, how hard and how long you think it will be to get the visas for my sons and wife?
    If you get one, they get one. If your wife intends to work I believe she has to get her own employment visa, but if she does not, she could follow you as a spouse.

Hi Ken

Thanks for the detailed answers, I'll check all this and probably come when I'll have more questions.

Romu

I'm having difficulties to find a pre-school cost for 2-5 years in NY (full time), does anyone knows something about that?

Romu

Banned Member

You can check out this site. I live in a child-friendly area on Brooklyn. This should have really good info on the process and resources. I don't think it is limited to Brooklyn.