Page 40 of 48 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed WTC Tower #5 on Liberty Street

Oh me likes this! But looking at what could have been is like torture at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    It ^ could have given us a very NY skyline -- one that reaches into the past ...

Default skyline and what could have been

I like that rendering of the skyline but there is totally too much massed in limited space finally no matter what the style. I really do not like getting blown away on ground level by whipping winds without sunlight. Like the gigantic Spruce Building -- I have no idea if anyone will like it's shape or not, but from the renderings it looks absolutely too gigantic. And then the style is a huge factor when things are so so big, so the Spruce Building renderings look to me like some Martian spaceship landing next to the Potter Building and obliterating it. I realize this site is much more pro-building than I am. I think money influences things here some, design some, but there is less regards for just living with these huge buildings as neighbors. Well, of course, you can be on the umpteenth floor and smirk down.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

And as we've seen the set-backs and tapered silhouettes are no longer viable for commercial buildings
    Yeah, but what are the ugly condo's excuses?

And as we've seen the set-backs and tapered silhouettes are no longer viable for commercial buildings
    And that's been the case since WWII. Mixed-use programs are probably our only hope for getting a picturesque, setback-laden structure.

Those pictures make me think Rockefeller center.

Quote Originally Posted by JMGarcia View Post
    I liked that plan quite a lot too but I think the reality of it is that there just isn't any architects that can really do that retro-style at all well anymore. I'm afraid we'd end up with a complex of 60 Wall Sts.
    Not that they can't do it, just who will pay for it to be done correctly.

The Dude Abides

We don't necessarily need to copy the "look" of the past, just the spirit. I think there's a lot of potential for glass-and-steel skyscrapers to take forms similar to those of the great NYC classics, but with modern twists. Nouvel's MoMA Tower seems to accomplish this quite well, which is all the more impressive because it's relatively small girth-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    Not that they can't do it, just who will pay for it to be done correctly.
    Yes, I should have said "can't do it within the developers budget and requirements".

I also don't think there are any really good architects interested in doing some retro-style buildings that would be this high profile.

These above pictures were never a real plan.

They are just accompanying images for an author's City Journal article. He railed against modernism and proposed a retro themepark Hudson Yards and Ground Zero.

Incorrect.

Liberty Square was indeed a comprehensive plan submitted to the LMDC (or whomever was accepting World Trade Center site designs and plans) by Franck Lohsen McCrery, Architects.

Because of its classical ideals, the plan was soon picked up and promoted by the journal, as you stated.

I would have posted the link to the official plans through the architect, but with the passage of time, it has disappeared.

Alas, it is to my great happiness that the plan, albeit a little late, is garnering some of the attention it deserved.

Finally, olde time design can still be done right: Quinlan & Francis Terry, David Schwarz, etc. You just have to have the right touch.

Quote Originally Posted by JMGarcia View Post
    I also don't think there are any really good architects interested in doing some retro-style buildings that would be this high profile.
    Robert Stern.

Default JPMorgan Chase Tower at WTC Site to Lose the Beer Gut

From nymag.com

We're no closer to knowing when the toxin-clouded former Deutsche Bank building will come down from its corner at the World Trade Center site, but we have fresh reason to look forward to the JPMorgan Chase tower that's supposed to replace it. Someone close to the process tells us that the ponderous bulge on the lower floors of the design (labeled a "beer belly" by some critics) has vanished from the plans. Early renderings indicated that the projection would hold the bank's trading floor, but it was received negatively by preservationists. The building still must negotiate a tangle of parking, security, and public spaces while offering wide, high trading floors, says our source. "Amenity floors and cafeterias and conference centers add up to different sizes," the insider explained. So some creative structuring beyond the standard straight tower model may still be required. But we have it on good authority that the architecture will be more sloping than slouching. That is, of course, if the state clears the site up before JPMorgan gets tired of waiting and starts considering other locations… —Alec Appelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by scumonkey View Post
    Someone close to the process tells us that the ponderous bulge on the lower floors of the design (labeled a "beer belly" by some critics) has vanished from the plans.
    Yes. I like that very much.

The Dude Abides

It's occasions like these that make me really want to be an architect. There are so many possibilities here to come up with a creative solution to a series of complex problems. Let's hope that, for once, "going back to the drawing board" actually means "rethinking and improving."

Glad to hear that they're getting rid of that stupid bulge. This is too prestigious of a location for something as bad as that to be built. My question is why in that article they say they have to have "high trading floors". Is that because they're afraid of people bombing the base of the building or something along those lines? If that is a requirement, hopefully they can make a bulge in the building that actually looks nice to some extent.
    Last edited by tmac9wr; January 30th, 2008 at 04:14 PM.