Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Mt. Sinai Center for Science & Medicine - by Skidmore Owings & Merrill

Quote Originally Posted by LeCom View Post
    It would not be an eyesore as it would not destroy any pre-war Fifth Ave views that you're talking about. Any destruction of that pre-war skyline that could be done is already accomplished by the Annenberg Building and the adjacent shorter, though no less hulking, buildings such as the East Building and the Guggenheim Pavilion. A slender condo tower will really not make that much of a difference in that sense. Sure it would create a new marker on that portion of the skyline, but it wouldn't bring any dramatic change of scale to the immediate neighborhood. Unlike what you said, it won't be "in the midst of a residential neighborhood limited to 15 stories". It will be on a block surrounded by institutional buildin gs, and aside from a small pocket of pre-war buildings directly to the north and west, the only nearby residentials are the projects, some of which reach as much as 30 stories or more.

I actually think the hospital postion of the building is quite elegant, as far as hospital buildings go. Compare it to the next-door blockbuster, the Guggenheim Pavilion. Talk about being oppressive on the street level.
    Perhaps you haven't been in the area. 1200, 1212, and 1215 are the three Fifth Avenue apartment buildings that continue the long string of such buildings along all of the east side of Central Park. The bulk of these buildings are roughly the same height. The string of buidings is interrupted only by a few blocks for Mount Sinai Hospital. Even above 1215, there are several more blocks of what you call institutional buildings but all are in the same style and of roughly the same height. The NY Academy of Medicine, Museum of the City of NY, and so forth. The residents of 1212 have always seen themselves as being part of the general community of Fifth Avenue apartment building residents.

You are correct that no "Fifth Avenue" views will be destroyed by the condo tower, but all the eastern views from 1212 (and perhaps 1200) will be lost.

And i agree regarding the hospital portion of the new development. I have no problem with that building as currently designed. It's not attractive, but neither is it inappropriate for the area. An enormously high tower, on the other hand, is a very different animal.

The foundation for the 564' tower is nearly complete and they filed some of their MEP and structural drawings last week. Hopefully Durst has the financing to build the tower.

Here's a rendering. Not bad, they did shrink it down a bit due to community opposition, so that's my guess why it's so boxy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mount Sinai Condo Tower.jpg 
Views:	5524 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	8140  

Crane is up and the tower is rising.
    It's now only 518 feet, use to be 564 feet, and before +600 feet.

But remember the Annenberg Building is 436 feet and looms...

scottdunn
    Last edited by Derek2k3; June 11th, 2010 at 09:21 PM.

RWDi

You can see how the tower and the new medical facility are configured.

Okay so it's def under construction. There's a crane on the tower portion of the site and a crane for the new medical building.

Have to check out if anything's happening over at Related's 96th St site where that 50 story tower is planned.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10342485@N05/4870944160/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1034248...in/photostream

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

^ Tectonic comes through again! Thanks.

Derek, you won't find that Related site on 96 St. No new permits filed since last year.

BTW, any renderings of that tower yet (not that I think it'll be anything exciting)?

Some updates from last week, from my new office across the street from the construction. There's also one shot from Sinai's library in Annenberg tower, showing the cranes over I.M. Pei's Guggenheim Pavilion

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_3.jpeg 
Views:	224 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	10443Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	200 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	10442Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_8.jpeg 
Views:	228 
Size:	133.8 KB 
ID:	10450Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_9.jpeg 
Views:	221 
Size:	143.4 KB 
ID:	10446Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_1.jpeg 
Views:	214 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	10444Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_6.jpeg 
Views:	211 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	10448Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_5.jpeg 
Views:	224 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	10447Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_2.jpeg 
Views:	208 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	10445Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_7.jpeg 
Views:	222 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	10449.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

I was surprised to see that the residential tower is going to be steel. I wonder why.

Quote Originally Posted by drsinai View Post
    Perhaps you haven't been in the area.
    I've worked in the area for years. My windows in the Annenberg Building directly overlooked the construction site and the buildings you're talking about. Though the tower would be out of scale with the rest of the neighborhood, anything that draws attention away from Annenberg's bulk and the monotony of the projects would be ain improvement to the immediate area (as long as Central Park views are not adversely affected, but I don't think that will be a problem).

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Last photo looks like a prison.

If I'm not mistaken most of the lower floors will be mechanical, so there may not be many windows.

Seems like the concrete residential floors are being poured now. The distinction between the UES and E. Harlem is so sharp. A plan to trun these public housing complexes into denser mixed-use communities should really come forth in the next few decades.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast