Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mt. Sinai Center for Science & Medicine - by Skidmore Owings & Merrill

Default Mt. Sinai Center for Science & Medicine - by Skidmore Owings & Merrill

Don't have any article clippings or press releases but err... just take my word for it.

Mt. Sinai Center for Science and Medicine

Description: Advanced medical research center being developed for Mt. Sinai Medical center. Parkfront mixed-use development includes a residential tower built atop the research center podium. (Possibly the strangest combination for a mixed-use tower, ever.)

Location: Between Madison and 5th Ave / E101st and E102nd Street

Architect: SOM

In-Progress Data
    Gross Area: 450,000 sqft
    Height: ~ 600ft
    Floors: 43 stories
    Last edited by Vengineer; January 17th, 2007 at 02:51 PM.

^ Where did you get this information?

Appreciate the scoop (all scoops from you for that matter), vengineer. I'd like to ask you though, is the design anything special? Or is it typical SOM blandness?

Quote Originally Posted by Stern View Post
    There's some information about it here:

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...t=10574&page=3
    Oh. Oops sorry I didn't know there was another seperate site for posting real estate developments. Wow, theres a whole new world out there.
    Last edited by Vengineer; January 17th, 2007 at 03:08 PM.

^ It is ok having this thread since this one will be 600 feet.

Wow if that information that you posted is accurate. Then 600 feet is pretty big for that area. I am sure it will have a huge fight with the Upper East Side NIMBYs. I am sure they will reduce the size in the end.

Hopefully SOM does a better job than that black box the Hospital currently has facing the park. When was it built in the 70's?

Here is a photo of that huge ugly black box looming over Central Park...

Quote Originally Posted by sfenn1117 View Post
    Appreciate the scoop (all scoops from you for that matter), vengineer. I'd like to ask you though, is the design anything special? Or is it typical SOM blandness?
    Well it has a green roof and a nice 4 story lobby area. Aside from that, yeah it looks like the typical SOM blandness. Although it IS quite early, the cross section of the residential tower seems to be... yes you guessed it, a boxy rectangle.

However, from an engineering standpoint it is quite interesting. Mixing a medical center and a residential tower for mixed use won't be a cakewalk. There is also talk of utilizing a mechanized parking system below grade imported from Germany or Japan, a crude version compared to the system depicted in Will Smith's "blockbuster" hit iRobot. It will be a massive building compared that what's around it and some of the upper level condos look pretty top notch.
    Last edited by Vengineer; January 17th, 2007 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by krulltime View Post
    I am sure it will have a huge fight with the Upper East Side NIMBYs. I am sure they will reduce the size in the end.
    I am not so sure. Anything past 99th on Madison is getting into scary land (for the Hard core NIMBY set). My ladyfriend used to live at the Medical school dorms up on 98th or so, and they considered themselves living at the edge on Manhattan (well, the white ones did). I am not so sure that the NIMBY dynamic (I.e. you will ruin my property value ) is in play here. They might want it built to further press money into the area. Who knows.

Vengineer - Will this be actual Labs, or more like office space that can be used for research work? I am not so sure that people want to live over a potential Bio-hazard site (Resident Evil comes to mind )

No, these will be real labs. Pretty advanced stuff in terms of cancer research. They want to save and preserve life as opposed to creating superhuman zombies; I can't imagine why. The outside air ventilation system for just the research podium (10 floors) is about half the capacity for the Freedom Tower.

But fear not, the residential tower cleverly doubles as a smokestack, transporting all the noxious and bio-hazard fumes 600' into the air. Sucks if theres a downdraft.

As for the potential NIMBY problem... the developers can probably announce an NBA store for the retail lobby.

Yea, but nobody really admits that the goal of their research institution is to "play god" or "create superhuman killing machines" the test is whether those looking to buy NBA gear hear the muffled moans of "Brains!!!!!".

Seriously though, I am sure that someone will complain about the potential "Bio-hazard" of living by a "medical" center.

Keep us updated - and thanks.

Hopefully SOM will try to make good and won’t replicate the mistake that they made with the Roy Allen abomination to the south. Unlike One Liberty Plaza, that building has zero allure. It is modestly big but very, very ugly. Probably one of the worst buildings in the city and that is before considering its total lack of context in its pristine location.

I wouldn't be surprised if NIMBYs did seize on the "biohazard" angle. Research buildings are full of all sorts of dangerous chemicals, regardless if their creating zombies or doing cancer research. Especially frightening to people is radioactive material and waste, which you can bet there'll be a lot of in this building. If I'm remembering correctly such fears were instrumental in torpedoing a huge new research building at the BU Medical Center up in Boston a couple years back.

564-foot-high condo tower planned by Mt. Sinai Hospital

18-JAN-07

Plans have been filed with the city by Skidmore Owings & Merrill on behalf of the Mount Sinai School of Medicine for a 564-foot-high, 39-story residential condominium building at 4 East 102nd Street.

The building would be the tallest building in Manhattan north of the hospital's huge 26-story, 434-foot-high Annenberg Building in the center of the hospital's multi-block complex a couple of blocks to the south that was designed by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill in 1976. In their great book, "The A.I.A. Guide to New York City, Fourth Edition" (Three River Press, 2000), Elliot Willensky and Norval White described the Annenberg Building at "a great rusty, cadaverous, blockbuster of a building, an incursive hulk that dominates the skyline of East Harlem (to its east)."

The new building will extend through the block to 101st Street where it faces the north side of the second phase of the hospital's Guggenheim Pavilion, an angled, white brick structure with tall atriums designed in 1991 by I. M. Pei of Pei Cobb Freed & Partners.

The documents on file with the city indicate that the building would have two levels of underground parking, and "mechanical equipment on floors 2 though 4, five apartments on the 5th, 6th and 7th floors, "mechanical equipment" on the eighth floor and four apartments on floors 9 through 38, three apartments on floors 29 through 35, four apartments on floors 36 through 38 and mechanical equipment on the 39th floor and the roof.

In response to a query from CityRealty.com, the hospital sent a statement by e-mail drafted in October about its plans to build "an important new addition to its campus between 101st and 102nd streets on the west side of Madison Avenue."

"The new building, the Center for Science and Medicine, will be an approximately 410,000 square foot state of the art medical science and research facility designed to compliment and meet the urgent expansion needs of Mount Sinai's existing world class research and clinical programs. It will be equivalent in height (180 feet) to the existing Guggenheim Pavilion in the block immediately to the south. Construction of the new Center is planned to begin in 2008 and to be completed in 2011."

"In addition," the statement continued, "Mount Sinai is also totally reconstructing one of its existing buildings (120 feet in height) located at 5 East 102nd, between Madison and Fifth Avenue to consolidate and modernize its ambulatory and neighborhood health care programs....This project will begin construction in the fall of 2006."

"In the absence of federal, state or city funding to assist in defraying the $800+ million cost of these new facilities," the statement continued, "Mount Sinai plans to sell residential air rights it owns which would allow construction of a privately developed and owned high-rise residential apartment building located between Madison and Fifth Avenues, 101st and 102nd Streets in the mid block. No developer-purchaser for the air rights has been selected at this time. In addition to the improved community health care services described above, these projects will include significant cancer research and treatment programs, benefiting the surrounding community which has rates of death from cancer 30% higher than the average in New York City. Further, construction and operation of these two projects will provide concrete economic benefits to the community, including construction-period and permanent employment opportunities, new research grants, and new City property taxes (for the residences)....Mount Sinai's plans for the new research and ambulatory care facilities have already been the subject of extensive discussion with the City, local elected officials and neighborhood, civic and community organizations....construction of the new Center for Science and Medicine will require approval of the City's Board of Standards and Appeals and related environmental analyses."

Copyright © 1994-2007 CITY REALTY.COM INC.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by krulltime View Post
    No developer-purchaser for the air rights has been selected at this time.
    So all this is a just marketing job to find a developer/buyer at this point?

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast