Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Push for Historic District in Soho & Village

^ The Knights speak.

Pul-leeze.

We need to get rid of the historic districts we have now, not be building more. You guys may want to see NY turned into dead, musty museum to itself. I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NYatKNIGHT View Post

... has anyone heard this area referred as the "South Village" before ...
    South Village

nytimes.com
    March 29, 1981

Letters to the Editor

To the Editor:

Your article (''N.Y.U. Programs of Rebuilding Drawing to a Close,'' Feb. 2) glides over the impact that these programs had on local communal groups.

The case of the Italian American community in the south Village is particularly interesting. In the 1950's, this working-class neighborhood was targeted by the university for urban renewal programs that would provide a residential infrastructure favorable to campus expansion. The tenements housing an Italian-American population whose roots in the area extended back to the Civil War (a local parish was established in 1866) were to be razed in order to build high-rise apartment houses for middle-class professionals.

Removal of the Italian-American population was justified on the ground that the area was a slum and that Italian-Americans lacked commitment to the neighborhood. In any event, the evacuation of Italian-American families was a precondition for upgrading Village schools. Coincidently, it was also a precondition for the construction of the apartment buildings.

Village Italian-Americans proved difficult to budge. Many families had lived in the neighborhood for several generations. Moreover, local Italian-Americans regarded the south Village as ''a family neighborhood,'' not a ''slum.'' The neighborhood reflected the higher standards of living achieved by the second and third generations. Italian-American politicians and civic leaders formed an organization to coordinate opposition to slum clearance. Despite high-level support for the project (including backing by Robert Moses), the heart of the Italian-American south Village was spared.

DONALD TRICARICO
    Professor of Sociology
    Queensborough Commmunity College
    Bayside, N. Y.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeW View Post

You guys may want to see NY turned into dead, musty museum to itself. I don't.
    I want to see NYC saved from POS like this \/ which was recently erected at 159 Bleecker (atop the old Circle in the Square Theatre building):

http://www.cbhk.com/newhomes/develop...dArea=Downtown

We kind of imagined the boundaries of The Village as;South and West of the Square,but not so West that you cross Sixth,unless it's like Bleeker or 4th.(Sixth Ave,by the way,was NEVER "Avenue of The Americas").
    Up 6th a little,to just beyond Your Father's Moustache.
    Down 6th to Canal...Some thought the Cast Iron District belonged,some didn't,and the Eastern part of GV ended at W Broadway,upto Astor Sq.
    Canal --and Chinatown--defined the South boundary of GV...

See, I have no problem with that building. It isn't even out of scale with it's neighbors. See the aerial view linked below. There's a large building across the street. By zoning it's probably as of right. There's no problem with this building, and the city shouldn't let the local NIMBY and luddite crowd create a problem where none exists.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...05488&t=k&om=1

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    I want to see NYC saved from POS like this \/ which was recently erected at 159 Bleecker (atop the old Circle in the Square Theatre building):

http://www.cbhk.com/newhomes/develop...dArea=Downtown

It's not the size ^^ it's the rest of it -- it's an ugly POS that stands out like a sore thumb amongst the buildings along Bleecker Street.

In a Landmarked District a POS desing like that never would have passed muster.

So I say Landmark as much as we can.

See, I have no problem with that building.
    That's why you said this:

We need to get rid of the historic districts we have now, not be building more.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    It's not the size ^^ it's the rest of it -- it's an ugly POS that stands out like a sore thumb amongst the buildings along Bleecker Street.
    I used to live on Bleecker Street and thought most of its buildings were no great shakes (exception: the apartment building directly across the street from the reputed POS). Actually I find the POS to be at least nicely scaled to its surroundings and fairly crisp, though I can't remember the building that preceded it. Got a pic?

The north side of Bleecker from Thompson looking towards 6th Avenue ...

Circle in the Square Theater site on the north side of Bleecker before demolition ...

Circle in the Square site post-demolition / new construction ...

In my opinion the new building is an improvement.

Additionally, it brings a ray of sunny Athens to this dour street.

Those horrid balconies?

Even though the original building is no real prize there are 10 other designs --especially donsidering they built atop the existing structure -- that would be better than this.

And now imagine another 4 or 5 or 6 of these up & down those blocks .

This stretch of street has plenty of streetlife, much of it quite lively. Those balconies will see lots of use in good weather; it's like having a grandstand seat on the passing scene. They will carry the street's animation up onto the streetwall.

And no doubt they will look even better once they put up the cut-rate balustrades ...

If you see it up close you'll see it looks like it's all been done on the cheap.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Balconies may not be very attractive but they are here to stay so we're just gonna have to learn to live with them as part of our streetscape.

With that said, those rectangular shaped balconies are just so totally devoid of any kind of artistry.

They look they came off the shelf of a home improvement store.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast