Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Push for Historic District in Soho & Village

I have no problem with balconies, except when someone tries something different that they have no clue about. They look like sideways shower doors.

Also, comparing it to "sunny Athens"?

Where do you get that from? Teh only thing resembling it is the fact that it is tan and rectangular! This thing looks like a cheepie design by a guy that just got out of school. No real 3D interplay, all boxes.

Very old-skool video game like AAMOF!!!!

I have seen worse, no doubt about it, but this is about as spicy as vanilla.

Some pics to show the "quality work" at 159 Bleecker ...

Note the straight-from-Chinatown balcony rails ...

It used to be a theatre ... can't quite seem to figure out what it is now ...

The oh-so-beautifully integrated entry to the lobby ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
    Also, comparing it to "sunny Athens"?

Where do you get that from?
    Athens is mostly a dense, ugly, low-rise 20th Century city comprised of buildings that look EXACTLY like this one.

Use of the term "sunny" was somewhat ironic, as Athens has a severe smog problem. But also, the streets are narrow, like Bleecker, so often only the buildings' tops catch the sun --as this one does in the photo.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    The oh-so-beautifully integrated entry to the lobby ...
    It's a hodge-podge --just like the rest of the street. Bleecker Street's no beauty spot.

The building could be ok in another neighboorhood... and the Athens thing is right...or the outskirts of anywhere here....but for Bleecker?

And OMG look at street level.

That is the clumsiest, who gives a $hit, grafting job ever.

It looks illegal..like it was built over the weekend by the Mafia while everyone was out of town.

---
    Last edited by Fabrizio; January 26th, 2007 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post

It's a hodge-podge --just like the rest of the street.
    Now you're just being stubborn ...

I know you hate it and can see it's a POS ...

But I won't push you too far

Oh, I know it sucks, but there are so many other new buildings in New York that do much more harm. All those full block, set-back, blank-walled, balconied, 40-story megaliths with ground-floor banks... Or how about every single building by O'Hara or Kaufman?

At least this one's comfy in its anarchic setting; it doesn't overwhelm.

That building going up on Columbus in the Nineties is MUCH worse.

Use of the term "sunny" was somewhat ironic, as Athens has a severe smog problem
    Had. It's a somewhat outdated assessment. Measures taken in the 90's and 00's
    have reduced Athens smog, or nefos as it's locally called, drastically. I visit Athens EVERY year. Last time was just 4 months ago, and there was no smog at all. The skies were piercing blue, and yes, very sunny. In fact, I have not experienced smog in Athens in about 5 years. Of course, this may just coincidentally be the days I'm there, but I've read corroborating reports all over the internet. Athens is not the city it was even 10 years ago, by a long shot. I'm going to put together an updated photo thread of Athens because it doesn't deserve such malignment anymore!

^ Glad to hear it.

Yes, my info on Athens is ancient. I haven't been there in fifteen years.

How did they do it?

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Well for one, cars are cleaner burning than they were 15 years ago.

In fact, special price reductions and tax breaks were made available for those who purchase cars equipped with the latest anti-pollution technology. They have added a large number of electric buses to their fleet, and electric cars are being encouraged as well. Since 2002 and 2003, the addition of Shell Gtl to diesel fuels has further reduced smog problems. Then you have the modern and well used subway system that's been built and continues expanding. There are more things, I'm preparing a comprehensive Athens thread with pictures and explanations. The ongoing transformation of Athens is a largely unsung modern success story. Anyone who hasn't been in a decade or more would be shocked at the changes. There are still miles of cement blocks but interspersed you have lovely neoclassical buildings that are being renovated in huge numbers, and the greening of the city (over half a million trees recently planted) is softening the concrete jungle. Of course, the thing about balconies in Athens is that they're usually teeming with plants and flowers, which in my opinion is wonderful. There are streets that look like hanging gardens. It isn't the cold clean aesthetic of many Western cities but it has it's own beauty. Most visitors to Athens, on their typical 1 or 2 day stop before heading to the islands, never even see much of this sprawling city beyond the central area.
    Well, to be back on topic I'll continue this elsewhere.

Holy threadjack! How'd we get for a W Village historic district to pollution in Athens?

It's called a conversation. Happens some times.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
    How'd we get for a W Village historic district to pollution in Athens?
    The bridge was a POS.

That's a pretty damn hideous building. Frankly, I am all for putting historic districts in some of NYC's finest neighborhoods. Most of what is being built here is a sin. Bed-stuy and harlem should get the same protection. Build new housing in the places that need it, like Brownsville.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast