Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Push for Historic District in Soho & Village

I think we need a moratorium on all landmarking before the NIMBY's turn NYC into a museum to itself.

Currently citywide:

1200 individual landmarked structures.
    110 interior landmarks.
    10 scenic landmarks.
    27,000 structures within 103 historic districts.

The above represents 3% of New York City property.

I think we need a moratorium on all landmarking before the NIMBY's turn NYC into a museum to itself.
    At 3% in 50 years of landmarking, why don't you figure out how long we have to wait until we get the museum.

It's way too late to turn NYC into a "museum to itself". Although I don't support preservation without just cause and despite the many examples of truly worthy PoMo architecture that have been built in NYC, I'd take that museum any day.

There are enough examples of architectural/social dross that remain untouched without structures/neighborhoods worthy of preservation being replaced by more examples of architectural/social dross.

We could all embrace more Kaufman "originals" taking place in Soho/Grenwich, right?

Demolition permit filed for 54 MacDougal Street. GVSHP will be livid.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	54 macdougal.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	16948  

Any idea what aberration might take it's place (assuming the permit is approved)? Surely whatever is planned will have to fit in with the neighbors?

Random fact...the Rosenberg jewelry shop in Men In Black was filmed at 54 MacDougal.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishInNYC View Post
    Surely whatever is planned will have to fit in with the neighbors?
    Unfortunately, it doesn't.

So much the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    GVSHP will be livid.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    Demolition permit filed for 54 MacDougal Street. GVSHP will be livid.
    Pardon my language, but no fu..king way! This is absurd.

THat area has been up for Landmarks consideration for years. Meanwhile, the troglodytes on the LPC, at the behest of our midget mayor and aided by the not-so-mighty Quinn, are allowing it to be chewed up lot by lot.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    THat area has been up for Landmarks consideration for years. Meanwhile, the troglodytes on the LPC, at the behest of our midget mayor and aided by the not-so-mighty Quinn, are allowing it to be chewed up lot by lot.
    I'd like to see it landmarked / protected ... but the destruction here is minute compared to what Kaufman/Chang are doing to the Garment District. That, to me, is the greatest architectural crime in the city in the last decade.

Default 54 MacDougal Street

Untapped Cities
    http://untappedcities.com/newyork/20...wrecking-ball/

Historic House from Men in Black May Face Wrecking Ball

Posted In Architecture, Planning

by: samantha schnell

Anyone who grew up in the ’90s (or earlier) will be sad to learn that the house on 54 MacDougal Street, in SoHo, might soon face the wrecking ball. The house’s address may not ring a bell, but its role as the vintage jewelry store in the 1997 classic, Men in Black, surely will. In the film, Rosenberg’s Fine Watches & Jewelry is the setting of the climactic alien showdown between Rosenberg, the undercover prince of the Arquillians, and Edgar, the farmer whose body is being inhabited by a giant alien cockroach.

54 MacDougal Street. Source: Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation.

The makers of Men in Black chose the little red house on 54 MacDougal Street because of its old, historic look. The house, indeed, is one of the oldest buildings in Manhattan; it has been around for nearly 200 years. Unfortunately, 54 MacDougal may not be here for much longer. Hudson Square Rezoning has plans to demolish the building as part of its ongoing initiative to encourage housing development on the West Side of Manhattan, north of Canal Street. Hudson Square Rezoning is run by the New York City Department of City Planning. City Council will vote on the Hudson Square Rezoning project on Wednesday, March 13.

The Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation (GVSHP) is committed to protecting the house on 54 MacDougal Street, among other historic buildings in the area. If you want to become involved, you can visit their website here.

The loss of this building will have a big impact: It sits at the end of King Street, and is visible for quite a distance across Sixth Avenue.

Someone should castrate these philistines.

Aside from this rather plain looking example, there are many other beauties that have not been declared right here next to the center of it all.....

I am not saying this does not deserve preservation, but I have seen several lately that deserve more attention, and outrage, than for the simple "gift" of age.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast