Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 330 Madison Avenue - by Kahn & Jacobs

Thats 100 Park Avenue.

^^^Thanks, I moved them

I walked by 330 Madison on 9 Feb 2010 and noticed that billboards with a rendering of the new facade havce been posted.

It don't exist if there ain't no pics!

it's the same image that curbed posted last year.

Gracias.

De nada

It's been up for a while now, but I never see work going on. With that heavy-duty scaffolding installed it seems inevitable however.

I'm still not certain how I feel about all these re-claddings. Are we just going to reclad an entire period of office building architecture for what's trendy?

Many of their skins are indeed awful, and some towers just need to be torn down altogether, but I do think half the hate stems from the fact that they're dirty and have lost their shine. Most of these building would look fine if they were cleaned and their windows were replaced with similar but more efficient glass.

I bet we're going to look at all this blueish green glass the same way 30 years from now. I guess it's a reflection of our throw-away society/architecture where things aren't suppose age well anyway.

This and the hippodrome are the only deserving recladdings I can think of. Never in a million years should the Bryant Park Verizon Building, 2 Columbus Circle, the original GM Building at Columbus Circle, and 100 Park Avenue been reclad. I sincerely hope they do not go through with the reclad at One Astor Plaza.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    I'm still not certain how I feel about all these re-claddings. Are we just going to reclad an entire period of office building architecture for what's trendy?

....I do think half the hate stems from the fact that they're dirty and have lost their shine. Most of these building would look fine if they were cleaned and their windows were replaced with similar but more efficient glass.
    EDIT: Stern's response encompasses all reclads whereas I'm referring specifically to the wedding cakes built circa 1946-55.

Let's hope not. Although there are plenty of these still in existence, it's obvious that most owners view them as stepping stones to a better product one day. And although many are ugly in their banality, there's something charming about them...I guess it's the way how they slot in between the theatrics of Art Deco and the simple slabs of High Modernism, not to mention the overlooked factor. They make a great parallel to the concurrent Lost Generation.

I would imagine they are re-cladding for the purposes of making the buildings more energy efficient rather than aesthetics.

Let's see ... who pays the heating bill?

From curbed.com 17 Feb 2010:

MIDTOWN—Glassy facade facelifts of office towers were all the rage when commercial rents were soaring, but economic meltdown has a way of slamming the breaks on costly renovations. Still, Vornado appears to be going ahead with the makeover of 330 Madison Avenue, if the renderings and signage that recently popped up around the building are any indication. Then again it's been about 10 months since plans were announced and all we have to show for it are a few signs, so we'll see. [CurbedWire Staff]

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    It's been up for a while now, but I never see work going on. With that heavy-duty scaffolding installed it seems inevitable however.

Many of their skins are indeed awful, and some towers just need to be torn down altogether, but I do think half the hate stems from the fact that they're dirty and have lost their shine. Most of these building would look fine if they were cleaned and their windows were replaced with similar but more efficient glass.

I bet we're going to look at all this blueish green glass the same way 30 years from now. I guess it's a reflection of our throw-away society/architecture where things aren't suppose age well anyway.
    Um, no matter how much you scrub down 330 Madison - it will always be disgusting 1970s travesty.

The re-clad is a tremendous improvement.

Now, onto the Verizon...
    Last edited by JFK-CDG; February 18th, 2010 at 01:17 AM.

While the old hotel that 330 Madison replaced is far better than the current building, I think that 330 has a nice shape nonetheless, as do many buildings from the 1970s. They're better than the simple boxes that schmucks like Macklowe and Zuckerman build today.

This tower, with a nice new skin, will be nice.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast