Page 4 of 294 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Race for the White House

If Democrats nominate Hillary, will we be looking at four more years of Republican presidency?

^
    Probably. Then again, there's that well-oiled machine.

Although I wouldn't mind a Republican president (assuming the fundamentalist baggage is tossed out) coupled with a Democratic Congress.

There are problems with the federal government that go beyond party philosophy, and I'm not too comfortable with either one getting full control.

The worst case is more of what we have had for the past 6 years.

I don't think America could sustain that horror.
    As for Senator Clinton, I'm more than a little afraid that she's just too despised by certain elements to win in the general election. I like Obama but
    he won't win the general election either. I feel like all of this is building towards disaster. Who could swoop in at the last minute to save Democrats from themselves?

I think Obama would stand a better chance in the general election than Clinton, but has a more difficult road to the nomination. It all depends on how he handles the national campaign machine.

I watched his interview on 60 Minutes, and he comes across as someone who is comfortable with his persona, comfortable with his answers. Contrasting Clinton's contorted efforts to avoid just stating that she made a mistake on the war in Iraq (I mean, what's the big deal in admitting a mistake), Obama, when asked about his teenage drug use:

Asked to explain why he did that, Obama says, "Well, I think it was typical of a teenager who was confused about who he was and what his place in the world was, and thought that experimenting with drugs was a way to rebel. It's not something that I'm proud of."

But the senator says he does not regret being so candid. "You know, I don't. I think one of the things about national politics is this attempt to airbrush your life. And it's exhausting, right, you know. 'This is who I am. This is where I've come from.' And, if we have problems in this campaign, I suspect it's not gonna be because of mistakes I've made in the past. I think it's gonna be mistakes that I make in the future,"
    I've seen quite a few come along in my time, and he's the genuine article.

I'm getting a button.

Let's hear it for President Obama. !

The Dude Abides

For anyone who's interested, here's the link to the full video of Obama's 60 minutes interview:

http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_vi...ml?id=2459484n

I think it's well worth watching. It certainly swayed me (to some extent).

^
    An RFK for young people?

You might have hit the nail on the head there ^^^

Obama seems to have an optimism & clarity -- partnered with a seriousnesss of purpose -- that is sorely missing in most politicians these days.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Obama seems to have an optimism & clarity -- partnered with a seriousnesss of purpose -- that is sorely missing in most politicians these days.
    Hope he can keep it. He has nearly two years to lose it.

Look what happened to McCain. And Hillary: did she ever have it? Sure doesn't now.

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    Hope he can keep it. He has nearly two years to lose it.

Look what happened to McCain. And Hillary: did she ever have it? Sure doesn't now.
    ... and than there is this...
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17132886/

obama apologizing for indicating lives lost in Iraq were 'wasted'

it's just a matter of time before the jackles jump on this.

Well, they WERE wasted. He should stick to the statement all the way to the end. An unnecessary war.
    People want someone with balls and conviction, it's my main problem with Hillary.

Poll: New York voters favor Clinton over Giuliani

By MARC HUMBERT
    AP Political Writer

February 14, 2007, 7:30 AM EST

ALBANY, N.Y. -- New York Democrats and Republicans have clear hometown favorites _ Hillary Rodham Clinton and Rudy Giuliani _ for their parties' 2008 presidential nominations, a statewide poll reported Wednesday.

But when it comes to the possible 2008 political subway series between the two, New Yorkers give the nod, 50 percent to 40 percent, to Democrat Clinton over the former New York City mayor, the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute survey reported.

"New Yorkers remember (former House Speaker) Tip O'Neill's line that all politics is local and pick a native son and a not-so-native daughter as their favorites for the 2008 presidential prom," said Maurice Carroll, director of the Hamden, Conn.-based polling institute. "After that, New Yorkers remember that their state is blue."

Clinton and Giuliani were expected to face each other in 2000 when she first ran for the U.S. Senate in her adopted New York, but he withdrew from the race in May of that year as he dealt with prostate cancer and a failing marriage. Clinton went on to easily defeat then-U.S. Rep. Rick Lazio. She won an easy re-election last year.

In the poll, Clinton was the choice of 47 percent of Democratic voters, followed by Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois at 16 percent, former Vice President Al Gore at 11 percent and former Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina at 7 percent. Gore, who lost the 2000 presidential race, has said he has no plans to run for president this time around.

Fifty-one percent of New York's Republican voters favored Giuliani for the GOP nomination, according to the poll, followed by Sen. John McCain of Arizona at 17 percent. No other Republican contender broke into double digits.

Quinnipiac's telephone poll of 1,049 New York registered voters was conducted Feb. 6-11 and has a sampling error margin of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

Copyright 2007 Newsday Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy View Post
    Well, they WERE wasted. He should stick to the statement all the way to the end. An unnecessary war.
    People want someone with balls and conviction, it's my main problem with Hillary.
    I am not arguing about the legitmacy of the statment, just about the political fallout.. he is already being critisized for it and he is already backpedelling away from it.

Default Which One Is NY's Choice?

Guilliani? Hillary R. Clinton? Obama? Who's it going to be? I'm thinking they're all great, one way or the other so... I just don't know. The first has his heroic image. I'm sympathetical to Mrs. Clinton (read her Bio, interesting story) and wouldn't mind if Obama 'd turn out to become the next President. As long as that Bush man, that not so very nice Bush man goes back to Texas and stays there 'till hist last breath on this planet will be blown out... and up.
    Last edited by ZippyTheChimp; February 16th, 2007 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Removed link

^
    No more links to your site. It was allowed once.