Page 84 of 294 FirstFirst ... 347480818283848586878894134184 ... LastLast
Results 1,246 to 1,260 of 4400

Thread: Race for the White House

Default ohio/florida are up for grabs

Don't kid yourself. Especially Florida - they have a republican governor and legislature. Cuban Americans are likely to vote for McCain over Hillary (Elian Gonzales is enough to ensure that). That may also be true of Obama, as it seems he has trouble with Latino voters.

I don't think Obama seems smug by the way. Can you give me an example of that? And I think he's right - why should the Clinton's not file their tax returns unless they are hiding something ugly?

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
    Aiding a surrender to terror?

OMG, they are playing the fear card. Obama and Hillary are Terrorist sympathizers...
    Right. If you vote for a Hillary or Barack, the terrorists win!!

I admit I have a problem

Op-ed in the L.A. Times (worth a read for those worried about black-Hispanic relations)

The Latino vote is pro-Clinton, not anti-Obama

Super Tuesday offers many insights into the Latino vote. In California, exit polls gave Clinton 67% of the Latino vote compared with 32% for Obama. However, Obama did considerably better among Latinos in Connecticut (53%), Illinois (51%) and Arizona (42%).

It's hard to bunch all Latinos into any single voting block nationwide.

The Hispanic population in California is far more skewed to Mexico / Central America than is the Hispanic population on the east cost.

And many of the concerns in Florida are different still.

Two nationwide polls conducted at the beginning of Feb asked registered voters who they would vote for in a Clinton-McCain or Obama-McCain matchup.

CNN poll (Opinion Research):
    Clinton 50%, McCain 47%
    Obama 52%, McCain 44%

Time Magazine:
    Clinton 46%, McCain 46%
    Obama 48%, McCain 41%

Yes, but the polls are before any politcal debates between the two final candidates. Isn't JM running on "security", and didn't he basically admit he has no working knowledge of the economy? I think EITHER candidate can skewer him on both issues.

Please, the I will get Hillary's people but she can't get mine? You don't think that's a bit smug? And a bit off-putting to democrats? What are his supporters going to do? Sit home and pout, or vote Republican? Do we really care about this country, or just about NOT getting someone elected because her husband was a successful politician and a roving husband?

Obama's message of change is a brilliant media message, but it's not easily pulled off in office by any politician, much less a "relative" outsider. It takes guts, political connections, and an ability to withstand constant criticism (which will be only the greater because of the mess that W. is leaving in his wake). I want a candidate that won't only win 2008, but who has a chance of surviving 2012. It's going to be tough, people have very short-term memories, and it will take a very savvy politician to survive the 2010 mid-terms and beyond.

Obama is not an outsider, he is an insider with less experience.

Quote Originally Posted by pricedout View Post
    Yes, but the polls are before any politcal debates between the two final candidates.
    The poll is just data. It shows how the candidates matched up relative to each each other at that time, regardless of any debates between the finalists, which no one can know.

Do you think Clinton's numbers would be better or worse today, considering the week she just had?

McCain will not be a pushover, and right now, the perception is that Obama has a better chance of beating him than Clinton.

Default why do people think condi rice would be good VP pick for McCain?

I'm totally puzzled by the idea Bob Dole gave that Condi would be a good VP pick. Who would that please? She's against bombing Iran and she was partially responsible for the current mess in Gaza by forcing an election prior to creating the groundwork for civil society there. So, those things will infuriate republican hawks. On the flip side, she has no economic experience whatsoever and seems Cheneyesque to independents.

I think this would be a gift to democrats if he picks her.

Default why are there so many inane questions

appearing in boldface headlines on this thread?
    Who can know. It's just one of those questions that will burn unanswered forever.

Default maggie williams and vince foster

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...intons_ne.html

I personally think the Clinton's had nothing to do with Vince Foster's death, but given the sworm affidavit from the secret service that Maggie Williams had an involvement, its a strange choice for campaign manager. She also had some links to questionable fund raisers: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ariann...s_b_85909.html

This choice just raises some additional questions about the secretive and unethical tendencies that are part of the Clinton's reputation, rightly or wrongly.

Even if Obama leaves this issue alone, the republicans just got some fresh meat if Clinton wins the nomination - which I still think she is likely to do once momentum switches back to her in March.

You've seen the inspiring Obama video, but have you seen this?

Thanks. Impressive videos. How does Clinton or McCain top this juggernaut...it seems the imagination and hope of many jaded people has been rekindled.
    It' kind of hard not to be swept up in all of this. The second video has Portuguese translations. As I watched I couldn't help but reflect on the fact that the entire world is waiting and watching to see what decision we make.
    I want this man to be President. I want change and every day it becomes more clear that this man is the person who can inspire it across dividing lines.
    I can't even conceive of McCain winning in November against such a rising tide. This is only beginning. Just looking at pasty old McCain..he literally looks "20th century" and that's not good. Not that looks should matter, but let's be realistic , next to him Obama looks like "hope and future" incarnate.

The Dude Abides

I know this is a little dated, but I was away for a few days...

Did anyone else watch Romney's campaign-ending speech? I was actually laughing halfway through. I had the gullibility to believe this guy was, at the least, intelligent. Hard to think that after listening to his parting words. What a clown.

Moving on to other news: who here thinks McCain will likely pick Huckabee as a running mate to shore up the conservative vote? Seems like the best play for the GOP at this point.

Anyone watch Howard Dean get interviewed last week about the Florida/Michigan delegates? He was being extremely vague about what would happen should the nomination be too close to call before the convention. I'd like to know what will most realistically happen, given the stakes involved. At this point it seems Clinton has the edge in the "superdelegates," and she "won" both those big states. I want Obama to win, so this is worrying me. Especially because, after tomorrow, it seems the two will be virtually tied in the delegate count.

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686 View Post

Moving on to other news: who here thinks McCain will likely pick Huckabee as a running mate to shore up the conservative vote? Seems like the best play for the GOP at this point.
    I have heard rumours of Mr. McCain selecting Mrs. Rice as a potential running mate, but that seems particularly insincere as to secure race based votes. Maybe a little too blatant to be truthful?

Then again, a Mr. Huckabee on the ticket would have a very similar effect for the Evangelicals.

168 delegates up for grabs in today's DEM primaries in Maryland, Virginia, and DC.

Obama favored in all three, with Virginia the best opportunity for Clinton.

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686
    Anyone watch Howard Dean get interviewed last week about the Florida/Michigan delegates? He was being extremely vague about what would happen should the nomination be too close to call before the convention. I'd like to know what will most realistically happen, given the stakes involved.
    Do over?

In which case, the cost would be incurred by the DNC, not the states.