Page 86 of 294 FirstFirst ... 367682838485868788899096136186 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,290 of 4400

Thread: Race for the White House

Investordude:

It seems to me that for someone who expressed the following:

Quote Originally Posted by investordude View Post
    My thinking is the baby boom generation will need to die off before we have rational policies and leaders who advance the country and move us beyond the endless bickering of the hippie generation. I hope I'm wrong.
    you more than most on this forum tend to broadstroke people into groups - what fuels all this bickering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Investordude
    This is typical of the left - they find excuses to engage in censorship instead of engaging in debate. Why am I not surprised?
    Censorship my ass. You expressed an outrageous, unsupported view about Buchannan, and it was challenged.

Default brown could be mad at obama over gay marriage dodge

kliq6, you may want to read this about Willie Brown: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...&type=politics

He states that he hosted a fundraiser for current mayor Gavin Newsom where Obama refused to take a picture with Newsom because Newsom had supported gay marriage and it was controversial at the time. Brown claims Newsom is upset (though I couldn't find a quote where Newsom confirmed he was mad).

In any event, it could be that Willie Brown was underwhelmed by Obama's response to the controversy. He might also have a point - it does seem kind of awful if Obama snubbed Gavin Newsom over this.

Default regarding buchanan, I understand question.

zippy/jasonik, I actually agree that I should have provided the link on the Buchanan quote to provide more context - although I've now done that, right? One thing I try not to do, unlike most posters here, is to cut and paste copy righted content, so I usually use links. In the case of Buchanan issue, I should have provided a link.

I'm pushing back against the idea that you shouldn't listen to my post because of formatting issues, or that I can't ask a question and also state my own viewpoint to kick off the discussion.

I think if someone where to say that I'm generally conservative, that would not offend me and would clearly be an accurate categorization (except on social issues). Why do people on the left find it offensive to be categorized that way?

Default the hippie point - that's part of Obama's explicit observations

zippy, I don't see what's wrong with my quote about hippie politics, or that it is angry talk - in fact, Obama himself is making that argument so I think you have to decide whether you agree with it in evaluating his politics. I don't see how its divisive to talk about the issues that the candidates themselves are asking to be evaluated on.

I've included 2 links to back up the relevance of the generational argument. The first is from Matt Bai who happens to be one of many columnists who have written about this. The second is a summary of Obama's quotes themselves.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/03/ma...in&oref=slogin

and
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2007/1...d_n_71729.html

This is typical of the left - they find excuses to engage in censorship instead of engaging in debate. Why am I not surprised?
    Absurd and goading.

zippy, I don't see what's wrong with my quote about hippie politics, or that it is angry talk
    Re-read my post. Where did I state there was anything wrong with it.

I noted that you seem to engage in it more than others here.

Practice what you preach.

zippy/jasonik, I actually agree that I should have provided the link on the Buchanan quote to provide more context - although I've now done that, right?
    That you tube clip? Shows nothing.

One thing I try not to do, unlike most posters here, is to cut and paste copy righted content, so I usually use links.
    Cut-and-paste or links is not the issue. You use neither.

You posted a few pages back that "most California voters are Independents." That is not an opinion, but a statement of fact. I had to dig up the link that showed the statement was false.

I think if someone where to say that I'm generally conservative, that would not offend me and would clearly be an accurate categorization (except on social issues). Why do people on the left find it offensive to be categorized that way?
    Who did that? You're the one that seems to be hung up on labels.

Default calling out partisanship is different from practicing it

I think there's a difference between identifying partisanship instead of practicing it. My suggestion is ninja wouldn't be upset about my use of the title bar if we had similar views, and its just such a silly point that I find it irritating. And I think it makes sense to push back on the idea I can only ask questions without also stating my own opinions in my posts. If the moderators want to get rid of the title bar or establish some guidelines for its use, I'll agree to them however.

None of that is inconsistent with the desire for a less partisan political leadership, even if I can observe partisanship when I see it.

Default Why do some get such satisfaction from bringing others down to their level?

Or as John McCain said: "Never get into a wrestling match with a pig. You both get dirty - and the pig likes it."

Default Investordude, Get Real.

About Investordude's use of the title bar on every single post... I already spoke about this but I just want to add a few things.

First of all, investordude uses the title bar not as a title or brief summary but as a kind of megaphone, turning up the volume on his statements in a way that seems mostly meant to provoke. Over and over, every time he posts.
    All across this forum, the title bar is used judiciously by the members here. Mostly to title something. With him it is used to railroad the conversation, because the nature of his title bar statements are repeatedly outrageous, inane, or both. This, of course, compels rebuttal simply to keep the conversation honest and accurate. We do better than that around here. This guy just repeatedly posts absurdities in a loud way so that the other forumers seem to need to take turns setting things straight.

When one person comes in and posts bold-faced unverified opinion in the title bars of his posts every time, it really is TIRESOME and grates on the nerves. And then he throws in his insulting labels.

Of course we don't need rules on title bar use, as he suggested, we just need him to quit the BS and stop pissing in the pool.

Default thanks for your candor

MTG, so in other words, you agree that the problem with my using the title bar is you disagree with what I'm saying?

Whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy
    About Investordude's use of the title bar on every single post... I already spoke about this but I just want to add a few things.

First of all, investordude uses the title bar not as a title or brief summary but as a kind of megaphone, turning up the volume on his statements in a way that seems mostly meant to provoke.

Makes you think if ID and this guy ^^^ is one and the same. Back to the subjuct. Obama is the projected winner in Virginia.

Thumbs up OBAMA Killed in Virginia

Obama KILLED in Virginia. And in Maryland. And in DC.

In fact, results in Virginia show that Obama received -- all on his own -- almost the same number of votes as were cast for ALL the Rebublicans combined. And together the two Democratic candidates received almost 2X the votes that were cast for all Republicans.

VIRGINIA Results (93% reported)

Barack Obama........................559,561 ......................63.4%
    Hillary Rodham Clinton..............315,453 ......................35.7
    DEM. Total............................875,014

John McCain...........................222,432 ......................49.7%
    Mike Huckabee........................184,253........... ............41.2
    Ron Paul..................................20,051...... ..................4.5
    Mitt Romney.............................15,565......... ...............3.5
    REP. Total..............................442,301

To put Virginia '08 into some context:

COMMONWEALTH of VIRGINIA
    February 10, 2004
    2004 DEMOCRATIC PRESIDENTIAL PRIMARY ELECTION -- OFFICIAL RESULTS

Precincts Reporting: 2377 of 2377 (100.00%)
    Registered Voters: 4,253,483 (Statewide / All Parties)
    Total Voting: 396,223
    Voter Turnout: 9.32 %

Change 2004 > 2008: More than TWICE as many voters cast for Dems in 2008 as did in 2004