Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 100 West 18th Street @ Sixth Avenue - Chelsea - Condo - by Garrett Gourlay Architect

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

What a terrible-looking piece of garbage. Add in AC vents underneath the windows and it would be no different from a McSam.

I remember there were a couple of nice walkups that were razed for this junk.

I am interested in people's take on the retail at 100 West 18th.

If you didn't know, Chase and Modell's have both installed garish and HUGH signage over multi-levels on the Sixth Avenue and 18th Street side of the building.

In my opinion, went from sexy and fresh to cheesy and stale simply from selecting these retail shops as their front-and-center tenants. What were they thinking? Do you think the developers even thought about making the retail consistant with the sales office themes of young, trendy, hot condominium living? I am surprised and disappointed.

I was a bit surprised myself. The Banks are common but Modell's was a shock. I guess in NYC Tenant$ are tenant$$$$$$$$ lol

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

^ If they'd just continue the glassy "chamfer" all the way down through the base and to the street level, it would have looked so much better.

As for the signage, I agree it cheapens the look. What I think would help a lot is to use storefront awnings to make it more classy looking but of course, outside of a few architectural firms, today's generation of architects don't have the imagination.

(I'm no architect but even I can do much better than 80% of stuff going (or have gone up) in this city.)

The building is not so bad... but does anyone here think that down-on-the-street scene is better than the tenements and taxpayers it replaced?

It doesnt look horrible, the brick is a decent material although ground level is very 'insert ground level here'. It reminds me of so many apartment buildings in the Upper East Side that i find attractive.

The Building doesn't look horrible (what a thing to say, is that a compliment)? But the signage on the retail truly cheapens the building. I wouldn't be surprised if it negatively affected the value of the apartments, either, but a small but significant amount.

TWO floors of Modell's signage? Seriously, what were they thinking?

A condo building with a modells in it cannot be able to call itself luxury.

The Dude Abides

People said similar things about Best Buy and 15CPW.

Except for certain very rare instances, any ground floor retail is better than none.

Banned Member

Three Modell's signs and five Chase signs. How utterly obnoxious.

Yes, I used the word "utterly".

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123