Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: One Prospect Park @ Grand Army Plaza - Condo - Prospect Heights - by Richard Meier

The area is huge. A comparison to Columbus Circle, which has a diameter of 400 ft:

GAP is an oval, 400 ft X 900 ft. If you include the 3 surrounding park spaces, the dimensions are 800 x 1200.

GAP was originally called Prospect Park Plaza, and was designed as a circle, the main entrance to Prospect Park. It morphed into a huge oval to handle traffic from Eastern Parkway and Flatbush Ave.

More info here.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Americans today (unlike the past) don't know how to drive through traffic circles without traffic lights and painted lanes guiding them.

Part of the overall dumbing down of America, I guess.

In other parts of the world, they don't use traffic lights and it works, a bit chaotic but works nonetheless.

^
    Do you drive?

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post

In other parts of the world, they don't use traffic lights and it works, a bit chaotic but works nonetheless.
    Rome has both traffic circles and traffic lights. As does London.

Without the lights there? oh my.

Only very large or very busy city centre 'round-a-bouts' have traffic lights in the UK. They are very simple and not a hairy experience at all. Europe is slightly different, anyone who has witnessed the area around the arc de triumphe knows what that ends up like.

GAP is about as major a traffic intersection (aka "very large or very busy city centre 'round-a-bouts'") as you'll find in Brooklyn.

I was just being general with my comment.

On August 6, 1889, A blind jury of two experts, appointed by the Soldiers and Sailors Monument Commission, selected the design of John H. Duncan from a field of thirty six entries that had been submitted the previous year. [4] Duncan, who would go on to design Grants Tomb in the following decade, proposed a free-standing memorial arch of a classical style similar to the Arc de Triomphe in Paris. After two and a half months of site preparation, William Tecumseh Sherman laid the cornerstone of the arch on October 10, 1889. After almost three years of construction, President Grover Cleveland presided over the unveiling on October 21, 1892 [5].
    Grand Army Plaza

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

An invitation to those unfamiliar with this location - head over on a nice day late Saturday morning, and you'll find one of the most splendid famers markets and gathering of people available in all 5 boros. Get yourself some feed and take a walk through the park and relish the current state of affairs. I still remember the pre farmers market days and pre-cleanup days of Prospect Park - the progress of the past 25 years is simply glorious.

i forgot i had these. they are from labor day during the west indian parade:

It seems vaguely Parisian.

I'm a bit troubled by the piece of slab hanging over the balconies with signage. The brise soleil cornice from the penthouse would be better suited and would define and accent the massing if used at points around the base where the balconies are notched into the building. C'est la vie.

Banned Member

Default June 1, 2001

From a wander about town today...

No pilotis though.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast