Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 325-329 West Broadway - Soho - Condo

In the long run... londonlawyer's Avatar

Default 325-329 West Broadway - Soho - Condo

Does anyone know what's being built there? This lot is huge.

http://tinyurl.com/2ag28z Front_Porch's Avatar

Confused; isn't SoHo Grand on West Broadway?

I was just showing an apartment at 7 Wooster, and my rough memory of what would be at 11 is an active parking lot ..

ali r.
    {downtown broker}

Yes. But this lot runs from W. B'Way to Wooster. It was a lot, but it is now enclosed by plywood construction barricades and is being dug up as we speak.

You'll have more luck with the address 311 West Broadway.

Curbed called it a five-story Gwathmey Siegel building over a garage, which I believe, but then Lockhart very publicly changed his mind, saying new intel was coming soon . .

ali r.
    {downtown broker}

It's also 311 West Broadway -- former parking lot.

DOB info HERE

Pics from mid-December (info from that time at curbed ) :

The block-thru parking lot where this development will rise has just been fenced in and they are starting to clear the site:

Info HERE and HERE

Krulltime posted THIS back in December 2005.

And THIS in April 2006:

Landmarks commission approves design for new building in SoHo

18-APR-06

The Landmarks Preservation Commission today unanimously approved with minor modifications a plan by Adg-Soho LLC to erect a new 9-story at 325-9 West Broadway and restore two buildings behind it at 23-25 Wooster Street.

The new building has been designed by Beyham Karahan and will have 29 residential condominium apartments. The approved design had been revised slightly to make its asymmetrical fenestration pattern align somewhat better with its neighbors.

Commissioner Thomas Pike stated that it was a “wonderful design” and Commissioner Roberta Brandes Gratz praised it as a “terrific design” that is “dramatic and subtle at the same time.” Commissioner Richard Olcott said that the design was “very elegant.

Commssioner Stephen Brynes also liked the plan but suggested that the rooftop setbacks on Wooster Street might be made less visible.

The left third of the building’s façade is setback about two feet. The building’s top floor also has a cantilevered element that is a symbolic cornice.
    The mid-block building is between Grand and Canal Streets. It is close to the Soho Grand Hotel and many boutiques and restaurants.

Copyright © 1994-2006 CITY REALTY.COM INC.

Here's what seems to be on track for this site ( POST ):

Chocolate Factory - Soho

Beyhan Karahan & Associates

The West Broadway Facade

New Building in Soho Approved By Landmarks

South of Grand Street on a through-lot between Wooster St. and West Broadway, this mixed-use building will become part of the modern future of the Soho historic district. As part of the development, two existing 4-story industrial brick buildings will be restored to their 1940 condition.

The Commisioners of the NYC LPC commented on the skillful system of proportions derived from the 19th Century Soho cast-iron buildings, and the use of setbacks and balconies to evoke the prominent fire escapes of this unique neighborhood. The reinforced concrete structure of the building will be exposed on the north side of the parti-wall of the building and through selective exposed columns and a trellis above the metal-clad facade. Undulated and perforated preweathered galvalume panels will be used to provide transparency and shadow lines, in conjunction with flat insulated panels.

A green courtyard with a reflective pool has been created at the cellar and ground floor levels. Each residential unit will have large, floor-to-ceiling windows and high ceilings capturing the character of the interiors of 19th Century industrial buildings.

Thanks for the info, Lofter.

I thought that Gwathalmy Siegel was the architect.

these things are going to cost a fortune i bet...i agree that the west broadway address will do better than the wooster.

front porch - how has 7 wooster done?

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    Thanks for the info, Lofter.

I thought that Gwathalmy Siegel was the architect.
    I may be wrong, but I believe he is the architect for a larger development adjacent to this property.

Quote Originally Posted by bigkdc View Post

front porch - how has 7 wooster done?
    Oh, I am the furthest thing from an unbiased source on that, since I was the rental broker on one of those apartments . . . and fully expect to sell that unit in two years when its lease is up.

It's a very small building, two units per floor. I feel like a lot of the units I have seen were bought by investors who had a two- or three-year holding timeframe: attracted by the new build, small building, cobblestone street, fireplaces, mint finishes, and the fact that the developer supposedly took a unit in the building.

That said, you are steps away from a strip of Canal where you can get a watch for ten bucks ... so the investor argument is that you wait till One York is finished and sells, plus that bit of Canal gets somewhat nicer, and those two factors jack the micro-neighborhood up in value.

ali r.
    {downtown broker}

I had seen Laboz's plans when they were done by Gwathmey. Nice design, ridiculously expensive build. Laboz spent most of last year trying to flip the project, he was asking almost $1,000/buildable sf! He contended that finished units would sell in the $2500/sf range.

I guess with no takers, he's figuring he'll build it himself. (And maybe he went with a less expensive design from other architects).

On 7 Wooster that seems like a decent thesis with one york. When do you think that will actually open? 2008 sometime?

The 11 wooster location is pretty interesting as it is loud as anything on the weekends with the west broadway traffic.

The building itself looks great and I am sure they will get tons of foreign interest given the location

Quote Originally Posted by Front_Porch View Post

...you are steps away from a strip of Canal where you can get a watch for ten bucks ... so the investor argument is that you wait till One York is finished and sells, plus that bit of Canal gets somewhat nicer, and those two factors jack the micro-neighborhood up in value.
    Sam Chang / McSam is building a HOTEL around the corner on Canal ...

You should get yourself a comfy pillow while waiting for that stretch of Canal in the area of 7 Wooster to get "somewhat nice" -- it could be a really looooong wait ...

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Sam Chang / McSam is building a HOTEL around the corner on Canal ...

You should get yourself a comfy pillow while waiting for that stretch of Canal in the area of 7 Wooster to get "somewhat nice" -- it could be a really looooong wait ...
    Will that hotel rise just on the empty lots or will the small crappy buildings west of those lots be razed too? I hope the latter bec. those buildings are mierda. There's an absolutely magnificent building just west of the P's O S on the corner of Canal and W B'Way.

I think one of the low-rise POS will be part of the McSam Hotel site, but it seems that it won't take down one or two of the POS that abut the beauty at the corner.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast