Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: The Museum for African Art - Fifth Avenue @ 110th Street - by Robert A. M. Stern

This building's design is garbage.

That expanse of concrete masquerading as a plaza sure looks bleak.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    That expanse of concrete masquerading as a plaza sure looks bleak.
    My first thought as well. And the building behind it only makes it look bleaker. IMO, Stern is very successful when designing classical/classically inspired buildings (15CPW being the best example, even The Harrison on the UWS being an improvement over the African Art Museum), but when he tries for anything more Modernist, it's not so hot.

That statement (classical buildings are nicer than Modernist ones) could be applied in general, however, and I would say that most Modernist structures look good only when they're brand new. They age poorly due to both materials used and design, and their primary source of interest is that they are new and shiny. Their "bones" aren't so hot, so once the newness wears off, so does the buildings' appeal. Looking at that photo of the plaza and the building's "dancing windows," though, it looks like this Modernist structure has been born old.

Don't thiink he was trying to be "modern" here. It just got value engineered into a cookie-cutter building.

I think this building has a few deeper problems that we haven't really discussed here. So first, the massing is somewhat heavy handed. It feels like it should have stronger setbacks as it rises. In person, the materials are actually quite warm in a way that the photos here don't capture (although the plaza is bleak). Going further, though, it's just not a good residential buildout. Because of the long angled hallway on each floor, the floorplans are odd, apartments have large unusable spaces given to hallways, and are generally just not well aligned. I think this is the same sort of limestone build that is in RAMS wheelhouse, and to some extent Derek is right, there was some value engineering too. All in all, I think this is an unfortunate failure for an architect whose work remains evocative of periods gone by. This leads to some questions about art and creating our own periods and styles and such, but we can save that for a longer discussion elsewhere.

Absolutely. Stern should stick to what he knows. This design is a failure by any measure.

Don't shoot, I like it .

One Museum Mile's $3.6M Sale Sets Neighborhood Record

by Hana R. Alberts

A relaunch one year ago has done 1280 Fifth Avenue some good. Now branded One Museum Mile, the 113-condo unit on 110th Street, which sits atop the Museum for African Art, passed the 50-percent-sold mark in February. And last week, when 3BR/3BA apartment 11B sold for $3.565 million, it set a new record for the neighborhood of $2,030 per square foot. (Streeteasy and others label the area "Upper Carnegie Hill," but we're insisting that it's East Harlem.)

After miscalculations about the museum's opening timeline and some other delays, the Robert A.M. Stern-designed One Museum Mile is poised to push Harlem even further into gentrification territory.

The most compelling features of the 1,756-square-foot record-setting apartment in question are the views from both the interiors and a huge wraparound terrace, which look out onto the expanse of Central Park from its northeastern corner. The bedrooms are also generously sized compared with the living areas. If the vistas aren't enough of the great urban outdoors, 1280 Fifth also has a roof deck with a pool, plus other amenities like a 24/7 concierge, a gym, a kids' playroom, a teens' game room, a bike room, and parking.

Official listing: 1280 Fifth Avenue #11B [CORE]

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2013/0...ood_record.php

LOL "Upper Carnegie Hill". Yeah, it's even higher up on the hill. They just added more hill.

This is one of the few apartments with a decent layout. For a purpose built residential building hoping to get people to pay good money for units in it, the floor plans are miserable.

As I have said before: that is one fine looking building. It is one of those buildings that photographs just don't do justice to, see it in person - that buff colored stone and angled window frames make for a lovely looking facade.

Quote Originally Posted by infoshare View Post
    As I have said before: that is one fine looking building. It is one of those buildings that photographs just don't do justice to, see it in person - that buff colored stone and angled window frames make for a lovely looking facade.
    Oh, yeah, sorry I didn't mention that above. I find this building to be incredibly handsome. It'd be better without the wall through HVACs, considering you're paying $1,100 a square foot for these places, but still. Very nice. On the other hand:

Really guys? I mean, do you like your guests having to rifle through your second bedroom for a bathroom? Or walking past all the bedrooms to get to the living room? And it's not the least bit weird looking into your bedroom from the windows of your living room? I get it when this is in a building with "character" (aka office conversion), but why new?

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314