Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The Museum for African Art - Fifth Avenue @ 110th Street - by Robert A. M. Stern

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    ^
    If there was any validity at all, I think that in New York, the phenomenon would be the reverse...

Wealthy, famous, guilty, liberals
    This ^^^ is not such a prevalent mindset anymore. How many well-off liberals -- especially baby boomers and younger -- do you know of who feel so guilty about the plight of minorities that they part with much of their money? Nowadays, the liberals keep most of their money and live with the guilt.

Zippy, I want to be wrong on this one, but I suspect I'm not.

Quoted from the
    Robert A.M. Stern Architects website:
    The museum is intended not only as a place for art but also as a gathering place for people, both for the vast African diaspora and for the vibrant cultural community that is New York.
    I (Rapunzel) see a potential conflict of interest: The condo owners will want as little "gathering" of people as possible. The owners will try to keep it contained as much as possible to an art museum.

lofter already mentioned this, but the blank section of the wall that faces 5th Ave feels really, really cold - the same goes for the blank area on 110 street. From the exterior rendering, at this angle, the design seems like a poor gateway to harlem.

Those blank walls almost serve to hurry people along to the museums entrance (which may be the point)

Quote Originally Posted by Fahzee View Post
    lofter already mentioned this, but the blank section of the wall that faces 5th Ave feels really, really cold . . .
    ^^^ Literally or figuratively?

Great that a museum for African art will be there, but this design is so bad.
    It's blocky, boring, has an ugly color, the trapezoidal windows are a half-hearted attempt at adding visual interest to a weak design. That whole "woven" fabric blah blah is a load of BS, really stretching it. Almost insulting to my intelligence. As previously mentioned, the opportunity to relate to the circle has been passed up as well. What's good here? The lobby? I hate this design so much I could spit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapunzel View Post
    Hypothetic museums that would have been loaded with "philanthropy":

- The Museum of Texas Culture
    - The Hollywood Museum
    - The Museum of Hotels and Resorts
    - The Wall Street Museum
    - The Museum of Real Estate, (renamed "Trump Museum", of course).
    How does private funding for an institution such as e the Museum of East Texas Culture in Palestine TX provide an adequate example of the lack of funding for a 5th Ave museum due to the nature of its exhibits.

The Museum Of Women has raised zero dollars.

City Opera can't seem to find a home anywhere - although that may be due to the antisocial behavior of opera enthusiasts (forum inside joke).

This ^^^ is not such a prevalent mindset anymore. How many well-off liberals -- especially baby boomers and younger -- do you know of who feel so guilty about the plight of minorities that they part with much of their money? Nowadays, the liberals keep most of their money and live with the guilt.
    I don't know. You tell me.

Quoted from the Robert A.M. Stern Architects website:

The museum is intended not only as a place for art but also as a gathering place for people, both for the vast African diaspora and for the vibrant cultural community that is New York.
    I (Rapunzel) see a potential conflict of interest: The condo owners will want as little "gathering" of people as possible. The owners will try to keep it contained as much as possible to an art museum.
    Would the condo owners want a "gathering" of opera patrons (same joke)?

Instead of hiring Stern, they should have hired the African starchitect of the African continent. How could anybody criticise an African's rendering of an African art museum? And in hindsight it couldn't have turned out much worse...

Would the condo owners want a "gathering" of opera patrons (same joke)?
    Are you suggesting "Porgy and Bess"?

^
    If that's what you think, you missed it.

Instead of hiring Stern, they should have hired the African starchitect of the African continent.
    Name?

How could anybody criticise an African's rendering of an African art museum?
    Beyond reproach on ethnic grounds.

Last edited by Jasonik; February 13th, 2007 at 01:08 PM.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Instead of hiring Stern, they should have hired the African starchitect of the African continent. How could anybody criticise an African's rendering of an African art museum? And in hindsight it couldn't have turned out much worse...
    African inspired, you say?

We've tried that before and as you can see, it didn't quite turn out so nicely.

The Kalahari Condominiums - Harlem, New York

^
    I like them.

Nice scale.

I like the Kalahari too...Manhattan wouldn't hurt for more architectural syncretism...

But I think it's too busy. I imagine something with an African inspired shape, not just some fake textile-like designs thrown across a boxy facade.

^ Indeed. The above was just a timid first step.

We may be too constrained by the grid, though. The new Native American museum in Washington is spectacular, but could something that curvilinear ever fit into the Manhattan cityscape without "wasting" valuable real estate? Even the Guggenheim economizes, and is somewhat boxy as a result.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast