Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Museum for African Art - Fifth Avenue @ 110th Street - by Robert A. M. Stern

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Aren't you guys related?

Anyway, Stern like most people are just that, he is human. Sometimes he gets it right and sometimes he gets it wrong.

No one is perfect and no one can get it right all the time.

All except Gene Kaufman--who incredibly--gets it wrong ALL the time.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    Aren't you guys related?

Anyway, Stern like most people are just that, he is human. Sometimes he gets it right and sometimes he gets it wrong.

No one is perfect and no one can get it right all the time.

All except Gene Kaufman--who incredibly--gets it wrong ALL the time.
    I guess by making his design so safe and predictably boring he is safeguarding himself from utter failure, ie. Gehry's human organ building in Seattle, that said we also shouldn’t expect an earth-shattering work of architecture than can elicit an emotion response, ie. Gehry’s Bilbao. With architecture I always side with audacity, as risky as the results may be, and of course none of this applies to Gene Kaufmann.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    Rapunzel, no way that sentence you highlighted in red was there originally. You must have added that later on.
    Post time: 13th at 11:07PM
    Last edit: 14th at 04:08AM
    Your post: 14th at 07:08AM

You're in a hole. Put down the shovel.

You can use my excuse: gloss over.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapunzel View Post
    There seems to be a pattern of some people not reading my posts carefully enough, and then later on misinterpreting them... Keep up the good work -- Emerson said, "To be great is to be misunderstood."
    Not me.

Didn't say you meant to mislead antinimby.

Nevertheless he was misled, and it's not hard to see how.

More fastidious presentation could have prevented this whole discussion; it helps to scan a post for what might be misunderstood before submitting. Folks don't always read meticulously.

Oh, and yes ... you're great!

Thank you, Ablarc.

Believe it or not, I was going to offer to take the Creedmore building and caption down before I read your compliment. Anybody who wants me to take it down, just say so, and I will.

Arrow Zippy: "Liberal Guilt"

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp
    Quote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapunzel
    This ^^^ is not such a prevalent mindset anymore. How many well-off liberals -- especially baby boomers and younger -- do you know of who feel so guilty about the plight of minorities that they part with much of their money? Nowadays, the liberals keep most of their money and live with the guilt.
    I don't know. You tell me.
    "Liberal guilt" is somewhat off-topic, as if I have to tell you. It might make an interesting topic in Anything Goes, especially if accompanied by a well thought-out poll. (A carelessly written poll might be worse than nothing.)

My sense is that liberal guilt has moved more toward the political and global arenas. There is guilt over feeling a bit happy that: the (Republican's) Iraq War is going poorly, the White House screwed up on Katrina, Bush spent Clinton's surplus and then some, etc. Some liberals feel guilty about eating meat -- or about going without meat, but not being vegetarians or vegans. There seems to be much guilt over continuing to drive cars in the wake of global warming, although an increasing number of non-liberals are feeling this guilt...

I could go on and on, but the upshot is that there is only so much guilt most people can sustain; there is little guilt "left" for the past and present plight of minorities, which may be the indirect reason why the liberals haven't kicked in a whole lot for the African Art Museum.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    Post time: 13th at 11:07PM
    Last edit: 14th at 04:08AM
    Your post: 14th at 07:08AM

You're in a hole. Put down the shovel.

You can use my excuse: gloss over.
    I know what I read and I know she did not have this disclaimer originally:
    It turns out that almost all his high rises have that hospital look, and they are particularly reminiscent of Creedmoor Psychiatric Institutional Hospital. (Built in the first half of the 20th century, obviously not by him.)

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby
    I know what I read and I know she did not have this disclaimer originally:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rapunzel
    It turns out that almost all his high rises have that hospital look, and they are particularly reminiscent of Creedmoor Psychiatric Institutional Hospital. (Built in the first half of the 20th century, obviously not by him.)
    Antinimby, I had that exact disclaimer when I originally posted. The only difference was that it was not partially highlighted in red boldface. I highlighted it after you replied, so you would see it.

If you don't like my referencing a psychiatric hospital's architecture in a topic about RAM Stern's work, I'll take out all my references to it. If you feel that strongly, chances are others do too, and are just not saying anything.

If you don't like my referencing a psychiatric hospital's architecture in a topic about RAM Stern's work, I'll take out all my references to it. If you feel that strongly, chances are others do too, and are just not saying anything.
    Liberal guilt?

I highlighted it after you replied, so you would see it.
    This meant that you did go back and edited it after my reply. Thank you.

I never had a problem with your post at all so no need to take anything out.

In fact, I didn't think much of it until Zippy decided to make a case out of it.

Therefore, I just felt I had to set the record straight.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby
    Quote:
    I highlighted it after you replied, so you would see it.

This meant that you did go back and edited it after my reply. Thank you.
    I didn't highlight those 2 sentences in the original post. Nor did I unhighlight them. They have always been unhighlighted, untouched.

I highlighted those same 2 sentences in my quote (only) of my own post.

Quoting my own post, and then highlighting a part in my quote, may not have been in good form. To this I plead guilty. But what a minute crime!

Somebody go out and get a new teapot.

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc
    Quote:

Liberal guilt?
    Not everything is liberal guilt. This one is called "being sensitive to others' feelings."

What's the difference?

The latter is guilt-free.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast