Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Museum for African Art - Fifth Avenue @ 110th Street - by Robert A. M. Stern

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Perhaps "Welcomes SOME of you" ???
    I was thinking of a community outreach, like:

"When you're all through, take sanctuary here."

aha ^^^ I was speaking in regards to the rift within the Episcopal Church, whereby some are clearly not so welcoming of others.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

They're protesting this project...

More coverage over at curbed.com (don't forget to read the comments--they're quite funny.)

Activists take on bulldozers in fight for gardens

Friends and members of moregardens.org.

By Justin Rocket Silverman, amNewYork Staff Writer
    April 4, 2007

Activists climbed into trees and tried to block construction workers Tuesday from demolishing an East Harlem community garden in the latest flashpoint of the city's development boom.

"We're doing this to defend this garden and the 20 others that are threatened right now in East Harlem," said Christian Austin, who spent more than 90 minutes in a tree Tuesday in a failed attempt to stop the bulldozers.

The site is being prepped for the construction of the Museum for African Art, which has been heralded as the first addition to Museum Mile in almost 50 years. The $80-million building will include a tower with 115 luxury condominiums offering views of Central Park, which is across the street.

Austin eventually came down from the tree, and police cleared protestors from the garden. Bulldozers then flattened the shed and other garden furniture.

As part of the protest, Austin and other volunteers with the group More Gardens had been living since January in a small shed in the Nuevo Esperanza Community Garden on 110th Street and Fifth Avenue. Advocates pledged to continue their fight by living in a multi-colored bus parked across the street.

The battle over the gardens harkens back to the 1990s, when supporters of community gardens around the city sought to save their patches of green from developers' wrecking balls, often staging similar acts of resistance. Many of the protests took place in the East Village and Lower East Side where dozens of community gardens flourished.

Still, the city has since lost nearly a 100 community gardens, said Hannah Riseley-White, an organizer with the Green Guerrillas, a group that seeks to preserve them. Of 60 gardens under threat in the city, 20 are in East Harlem, she said.

"A lot of them were part of the rich cultural histories of that neighborhood," Riseley-White said. "They are more like community and cultural centers -- and that will be lost."

Neighbors at the newly demolished garden chanted "No condos in Harlem" and other slogans Tuesday.

"We had to come out here every morning and get the junkies out so we could plant the trees," said Alvin McKinnon, 73, who helped start the garden 18 years ago. "The city wants luxury housing in there now, and they don't care at all whether the people who live nearby want it or not."

The developers, Sidney Fetner Associates and Brickman Associates, did not return phone calls.

A spokesman from the city's Department of Housing Preservation and Development, Neill Coleman, said the gardeners were told they would need to leave by last month and were offered a new place to garden.

"This morning trespassers were removed from the site of the future Museum for African Art," Coleman said Tuesday.

"The Museum for African Art facility will lead to the creation of a new museum that will extend the City's storied Museum Mile and create a 'cultural gateway' to Harlem, generating substantial economic activity for the area."

Police officer at scene of Harlem garden protest.

Christian Austin spent 90 minutes in a tree in a failed attempt to stop the bulldozers.

Garden founder Alvin McKinnon.

Disputed Harlem garden.

Activist Aresh Javadi, Christian Austin and Christian's wife Olga.

Friends and members of moregardens.org as construction workers put up fence.

Copyright 2007 AM New York

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    They're protesting this project...

More coverage over at curbed.com (don't forget to read the comments--they're quite funny.)
    Post #7

Post #8: "Oh please, educate my organic ass."

Post #9: "#7 wins most idiotic post ever."

I think it was a toss up between 8 and 9.

I found this funny too...

#7, can I please demolish your apartment building? It's spring and I need a place to plant some squash and "bring the community together"...

What a stupid post and what an idiotic, false comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    How does private funding for an institution such as e the Museum of East Texas Culture in Palestine TX provide an adequate example of the lack of funding for a 5th Ave museum due to the nature of its exhibits.
    I was puzzled by this question because the answer seemed so obvious:

Of course every effort would be made to preserve the Museum of Texas Culture in L.A., especially since it was inspired by the greatest Hollywood icons of Westerns, (most recently and notably, the now late Gene Autry).

I just got to looking up the museum, and I realized I had made a mistake for which I apologize. I thought that it was called the Museum of Texas Culture; in fact, it's The Autry National Center, which umbrellas:

- The Southwest Museum
    - The Institute for Study of the American West
    - The Museum of the American West (currently seeking major financing for renovation)

All of these institutions are in L.A.

The names of these museums are so different from "The Museum of Texas Culture" that I don't know how I made this leap, (especially because I usually have an excellent memory). I can't even blame it on the Bush Administration, can I?

Anyway, Zippy, did I answer your question?

^ The example is no longer ridiculous, but it still doesn't provide any proof of your assertion.

The question was rhetorical, in the context of my post.

A bigger rendering of the Museum from a Sunday NY Times article
    on Robert A.M. Stern / Yale School of Architecture ...

Building Respect at Yale

Neoscape/Robert A. M. Stern Architects
    The Museum for African Art on Fifth Avenue at 110th Street.

Robert Stern has created some really nice buildings across the country but this one is really disappointing.

Not very elegant nor classy and not taking advantage of the curvature of the circle. Just a stack of boxes. Kondylis or O'Hara could have done the same thing.

Random Personality

^^Maybe there are budget limits that keep him from doing so

From what I recall, the museum needed the revenue from the condo tower.

It limited Stern's options, but yeah...a tower didn't exactly encumber the Time Warner Center's delicious curvature.

It's a real shame this thing looks so boxy. And look at that blank wall on the Western side of the Northern low rise section

As well as a blank wall facing the park on the condo tower. This is a horrible design. I prefer the community garden.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast