Thread: World Trade Center tales...

Default World Trade Center tales...

I understand that for some people the original World Trade Center was very important to some people and I thought it would be interesting if we could all share our special memories of those buildings as a way of remembering the buildings themselves. I can't start everyone off, but I do have a particular interest in the architecture and the way the towers (in particular) were designed. I particularly like the way the lobby columns branched off into several smaller ones making the outer facade which, from far away, made the impression of being one flat wall, and from close up gave the impression of train tracks extending into the distance...

No 9/11 stories please and nothing to do with conspiracies. Thanks

Default Sorry to resurrect this...

...but I've got one.

My dad and I were in the City in '97. It was my first time, and as an 12 year old, "awestruck" roughly describes how I felt.

It was our last night in town, and Dad wanted me to experience a Rangers game. Not being a sports fan, I was less than thrilled and wanted instead to see the Trade Center. Dad suggested a compromise: If we could get into the Garden, we'd see the game and visit the towers before we left town. If we couldn't, we'd go tonight and just head out that morning.

Unfortunately, things didn't quite work out at the Garden, and the way it happened left me pissed off and betrayed (I'd rather not say in public). Dad did keep his word, and we went down to the Trade Center. I rambled about something stupidly, Dad got annoyed with me and what had happened, but still kept his promise, and we went up. When we reached the indoor deck on the South Tower, I stormed off.

I wandered into the helicopter simulation, and rode on it. As I was jerked and jossled around, seeing the Manhattan skyline flowing beneath me, I realized that Dad had taken time and money out of his busy life to bring me here, the city I'd wanted to visit since I was, like, seven. So, I went back out, found him looking morbidly over Midtown, and gave him a big hug and said "I forgive you." He hugged me back. It's the only time we've had such an interaction in public. I then spent the rest of the time eagerly showing him what I knew of New York City.

Four years later, events in my life had moved New York from a place I liked to visit to the center of my life; from a hobby to an inspiring passion, a goal that was the only thing to survive the worst year of my life, as a sophmore in high school. It was a transformation no one had imagined.

And so, when I spent that Tuesday morning looking aghast as my city burned, I remembered what had happened there. Just after I realized that memory, the South Tower crumbled into oblivion, taking the site of that dear memory with it.

Nealry six years later, I have mixed feelings about what's going there. I was a restoration for sometime immediately after, but I had way too much to work out and on to really focus on that, and it became a non-issue. I think what's going up could be better, but in time New York will accept what goes up. But when I manage to disconnect the irony of sheer hatred taking out a place where fatherly love had happened, it is that memory that I keep closest to the World Trade Center.

My story is far from exciting.

I've visited the buildings twice, both towers, in '98 and 2000. I also have a friend who worked in 7 WTC, but I've never been there, and he has no pictures of the building or his office for that matter, which makes me sad.

Banned Member

I remember way back when they were being built. I went to an art show in the first completed tower with my grandfather and we looked at paintings by the construction workers. It was pretty fantastic. There was also the memory of seeing the towers going up: silver on the bottom, the rust color above, with the yellow plastic bubble going around two or three foors in the middle. It was breath-taking to see from a distance.

I visited many times....I actually have video of me and an ex-girlfriend in the indoor ob deck on YouTube from back in 95....I'll shoot the link over here later on today.

I proposed to my then girlfriend on top of tower two. Then we went for dinner at Windows on the World.

"The Wiz" is on TV right now (Tv1HD; TW Cable Channel 790).

The Emerald City sequence, a Disco Extravaganza, was shot in the WTC plaza in 1978 ...

I am native to and grew up in New Haven, CT, so NYC was a place we visited often and we listened to and watched NY radio and tv stations. I spent time at and within the WTC during and after high school. The WTC was a symbol of NY as much as the ESB, and when I later moved to Virginia in my late 20's they were the first and last site of the city I would see from the NJ Tpk. Their absence created a void visually, emotionally, and historically in terms of my personal experience. This past Christmas Eve I returned to the actual site for the first time when I visited the Memorial with my young family, including my 5 and 3 year old, who were both too young to experience the original. Yet, taking them to the very spot, and creating new memories, with young, new lives in the shadows of the rebirth in the forms of 1, 4, and 7 WTC's, was a very moving experience.

Lofter: thanks for posting that clip. 'The Wiz' was one of my favorite movies as a child, and perhaps the only movie to have featured the World Trade Center so prominently.

I always liked the west lobby of 2WTC back in the late seventies before they built the hotel that blocked the view or really the light coming into that lobby. I am color blind but I think around 1978 the carpet was a light blue and the light coming in off the late afternoon sun set off the white marble and stainless steel elevator doors etc. It was one of those great lost spaces in NYC kind of thing. And the volume of space put the whole thing on a cathedral sized scale of place.

I remember my mother driving us to this new mall in Woodbridge, where she wanted to look at carpeting for the house we just moved into. I have a flash of a memory from that trip where she was talking about the two tallest buildings in the world being built in New York.

Later in the '80s when we went to visit, I was stunned by the views, how far you could see, and how all the cars below looked like different-colored ants. Will post them one day. I also thought as I stepped down to get a close look out the windows how I felt that if too many people were on one side, the building might start tipping, though even then I knew it was in my head. The two or three times I've been there, the observation deck was closed for one reason or another.

This article is a reprint from the Daily News on April 5th, 1973. There are more pictures if you click the article link.

World Trade Center is dedicated in 1973

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Friday, April 3, 2015, 12:00 PM

DAVID PICKOFF/APThe Twin Towers of the World Trade Center in lower Manhattan are shown in this April 3, 1973, photo one day before the dedication.

(Originally published by the Daily News on April 5, 1973. This story was written by Owen Moritz.)
    The $800 million World Trade Center, two 110-story castles of commerce in shining aluminum, was dedicated as the world’s tallest complex in ceremonies yesterday that had a bit of everything - including Labor Secretary Peter Brennan’s non-appearance - and lots of rain.

Dogged by controversy from its inception, the trade center couldn’t escape it on its biggest day. Brennan, the former head of the construction worker union which provided 3,500 workers a day during the trade center’s construction, refused to appear in deference to a picket line put up by striking PATH workers.

Nixon Message Is Read

In his place, a message from President Nixon, dated March 28, two days before the PATH strike began, was read. It hailed the center as a “major factor for the expansion of the nation’s international trade.”

Govs. Rockefeller and Cahill were on hand for the ceremonies that marked the third time in the 20th century that a world’s-tallest was dedicated in New York with considerable fanfare. The first ceremonies came in 1913 when the Woolworth Building was unveiled as the tallest - the event marked by President Wilson pushing a remote-control button in Washington. The second came in 1931 when the Empire State Building was dedicated.

For those who thrive on such statistics, the World Trade Center is a larger-than-life present. It has 9 million square feet of space, almost twice as much as the nearest entry - the Pentagon - and nearly five times that of Empire State Building. It has 50,000 workers and 80,000 visitors a day - a total that is the equivalent of the entire city of Albany.

It has its own zip code (10048), its own power plant, 208 elevators in the two towers and 43,600 windows, each with an automatic window cleaner. Each floor is one acre.
    The trade center is five buildings in all - two main towers, each 1,350 feet high, plus two plaza buildings each nine stories high and the U.S. Customs Building, eight stories high.

The idea of a trade center to house in one complex all activities involved in international trade has long been thought about in New York. But it was not until 1960 that the powerful Downtown Lower Manhattan Association advanced the idea for the lower East Side of Manhattan.
    The Port Authority entered the picture in 1962, when it was asked to finance the undertaking, and the center has been shadowed of the Port Authority’s financial involvement at the expense of mass transit and its decision to make the center the world’s tallest skyscraper.
    April 5, 1973. New York Daily News.

The state of New Jersey, which can veto Port Authority decisions, forced the authority to build the skyscraper on Manhattan’s West Side. As part of the bargain, the Port Authority agreed to take over the faltering Hudson tubes, but in return the authority won historic legislation that in effect barred it from investing further in mass transit - legislation that has been the subject of controversy in recent years.

Later controversies swell around the dislodgement of a neighborhood of electronic shops to make way for the center and charges that its 9 million square feet of space, renting at below-market rents, helped cause the serious surplus of office space in Manhattan. Clients are limited to businesses engaged in international activities, with one noteworthy exception - the state of New York, which is renting 2 million square feet or 58 stories in the South Tower at an annual cost of just under $14 million. At last report, the two 110-story towers were 80% rented.

Theodore Kheel, attorney, a longtime critic of the Port Authority, called on Rockefeller and Cahill yesterday to urge the bi-state agency to sell the center to “private enterprise” as soon as possible. The Port Authority, Kheel feels, engaged in a “mischoice of priorities.”
    Construction of the center began in 1966. The north building was topped out in 1970, and the first tenants moved in shortly after. The South Tower was topped out the next year.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2170930

A couple weeks before 9/11, my friends and I were hanging out in the city all day. We ended up going down to the WTC plaza, buying a disposable camera and using the whole camera (was it 24 or 27 pics you were allowed to take?) on pictures of us and the WTC. I can distinctly remember taking pictures of the twin towers' reflection off the sunglasses of each other. We thought we were Ansel Adams, at least for that day. I dropped the camera off at a drug store for developing before I left to go out of state for college. Right after 9/11, my friends and I were talking about how we at least have that roll of pictures and how it was kind of neat we took those pics when we did. I didn't have a chance to go back to the drug store until the end of September, but was so psyched to get the pictures back. I walk up to the photo department and am told that there was a screw-up at the film developing center (it was common to send out the non-same-day development to another facility) and that NONE of the photos were salvageable. Long story short - No pictures from that day, I still think about it from time to time.

Here is a picture of me from Spring 2001 with the WTC in the back - I'm leaning on a pole at the intersection of Houston and Sullivan:

A new take on an old tale.

Not crazy about Levitt in the lead role, I think they should have used a French actor, but I'll see it anyway. Just the first shot going up the side of the building hooked me.