Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I crazy to commute from Hoboken to Princeton every day???

Default Am I crazy to commute from Hoboken to Princeton every day???

Hi, we're thinking about moving from Los Angeles to Hoboken. I have a job offer at Princeton and my husband will work in NYC. We really want to live close to Manhattan. It looks like it would take about an hour to Princeton by car, and a little more by train. Is that true?? Does anyone do this??

Thanks a lot!

I have a friend who does Princeton <> NYC everyday during the week ...

It's about 20 minutes longer than the Hoboken <> Princeton trip.

He says after 6 months the trip has lost its charm.

It is a bit far, but there is a direct train ride (I believe) from Princeton to Hoboken.

And the 20 minutes makes a WORLD of difference.

If your husband is in NYC and you are in Princeton, Hoboken would be a good middle ground.

Thing is, if you are looking, look for conversions or classic brownstones. A lot of the pre-fab condo/apt developments are not the best out there (and are inflated in price).

Also, do not live right next to the station. It will make commuting shorter, but you will also hear trains 24/7....

I've got a couple of friends who commute daily by rail between NYC and Philadelphia. That's a one-train ride. If I'm reading the NJ Transit schedules (at http://njtransit.com) correctly, Hoboken-Princeton is a three-train ride (with transfers at Secaucus Junction and Princeton Junction). Are you a big train buff?

You would have to see if your company offered a shuttle or something for the last leg of teh journey. Seems like the Princeton JCT and Princeton stop are close to each other, but why bother?

As for 2 trains, most people do that every day with teh city. Bus to Subway or Train to Path, or Train to Subway, so it is very common for suburban commuters.

Although you may also want to look at the Hoboken to Newark link and then Newark to Princeton Junction.

Needless to say Princeton+New York is a VERY large split!

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by margotj View Post
    Hi, we're thinking about moving from Los Angeles to Hoboken. I have a job offer at Princeton and my husband will work in NYC. We really want to live close to Manhattan. It looks like it would take about an hour to Princeton by car, and a little more by train. Is that true?? Does anyone do this??

Thanks a lot!
    Its a decent trip but if they pay is good it makes the trip better

http://tinyurl.com/2ag28z Front_Porch's Avatar

I find New Jersey Transit to be less-than-desireable -- in terms of comfort, scheduling, etc., not up to the standards of my beloved LIRR.

I wonder if there's some way you could do the trip 9 days out of ten -- that might be just the break you need.

Am I crazy to commute from Hoboken to Princeton every day???
    Do a careful assessment of your personality. If you are Type A, or mostly Type A, then after awhile you will be angry with this commute. The more laid back and mellow you are, the more this commute is a realistic longterm option.

Why not live somewhere closer to the middle of both places. Live in Summit or Morristown so you'll be along a NYC train route but you can drive to princeton in 1/2 hour. Lots of rich yuppy towns all along that train line with nice downtowns etc...

I will say that Hoboken is better than all of those towns but your piece of mind is probably more important.

I commuted to NY over 1 1/2 hours each way (on a good day) on a bus for 6 months and I almost lost my mind so I moved to Hoboken.

Thanks, everyone! I do have some flexibility, since I'd be at the university and could not go in on an occasional day. What about driving to Princeton? Is the traffic bad going away from the city? I'm considering that too.

You will be going against traffic, which is a good thing!

So from Hoboken I guess you take 3 East and then the TP south....
    I would say you can take the time given by online directions and add half an hour and that should give you a pretty conservative estimate of the length of your trip.

Default driving from Princeton to Hoboken

yes, you are crazy. before you take the job rent a car, do the drive back and forth the hours you will be commuting. next day do the train. then imagine snow, rain, traffic accidents. a horror show.

Forum Veteran

but if you could drive in LA, which ithink you said you are from, you can handle NY

Hoboken at rush hour is not too pleasant. I would probably say the drive would be about 45 minutes on average (w/o looking at the directions).

The killer would be how many miles you would put on the car, and how much gas it would use. 45 minutes of commuting is not HORRIBLE, but it still i not nice...

You could also look for ways to hybrid the commute. Drive to the junction (I think you can do that) and then catch the train... Or only have a cheap vehicle for the last little princeton to princeton jct...

Long and short of it, it will be difficult for you both to work so far from each other.

I did a L.A.-Orange County driving commute for a year. A one hour drive each way during rush hour in the L.A. area is child's play compared to the same commute in the Northeast U.S., and it's almost entirely due to the weather. If you want to know what the quality of your drive will be like on a regular basis here, imagine driving the Santa Ana Freeway rush hour during one of the worst weather days of the year.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast