Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Proposed - The New South Street Seaport - by SHoP Architects

He should switch careers again and become a circus clown. Judging by his architecture, that might be his true calling.

I might be in the minority, but did anyone else here like the Seaport the way it was? Yes, it was kitch, but it had character that was different from ye olde generic, trendy, contemporary glassy shopping center. Yes, it was a tourist trap, but it was a vibrant public space with dense pedestrian activity.

This is a tough one. For many years this was the closest gamestop to my office, and I preordered a number of games from here. I tried to avoid the place otherwise. It was, definitely, a vibrant public space with good pedestrian activity, but it's really hard to believe that whatever gets built here won't be. I mean, the elevated acre over at 55 Water street is also an incredibly vibrant public space, and despite being what I consider a "well kept secret," it's always crowded. So anyway, yes, it is some unfortunate lost character, but I also imagine the replacement to retain the busy-ness. Somewhat related, the grocery type place up the street that replaced the burger king and foot locker and such is great, and a serious addition for the nabe.

What I recall is that the building was functioning quite well during warm weather weekends, and evenings: shops, and food stands all up and running, plenty of foot traffic, ect. However, during the cold weather season (much of the year) and on summer weekdays, the place was quite desolate, and many of the shops/stand/carts were either closed or 'partially' open for business. I hope the new facility can manage to be more of a year-round affair: the new building I think will accomplish that perpetual liveliness that is much needed at that location.

Forum Veteran

I personally liked the place. Sure it was packed with clueless tourists and the inside was a sterile mall, but the boardwalk and east waterfront were nice. The restaurants along the 2nd floor perimeter were nice places to catch a meal in the summer

The mall was full of souvenir and specialty shops, which makes it a tourist trap but not a generic mall. As someone that spent four years (high school) living in northern New Jersey, I know quite a bit about what a generic mall is, and that wasn't it. And the food court on the third floor, with its full height exposure to the waterfront, central performance space and perimeter balconies with wooden lounge chairs, was a unique space altogether despite relatively generic dining options.

A commercial space does not have to be a hole-in-the-wall hipster bodega in order to espouse character.

Old Pier 17 Is Almost Gone, New Pier 17 To Open In 2016

The remains of the old Pier 17 building, as seen from New York Harbor. Photos by Hannah Frishberg.

Down at South Street Seaport, the Howard Hughes Corporation is wiping away the last pieces of Pier 17. The once-beleaguered project had demolition dates initially set for last October (and they even held a ceremony for a faux "groundbreaking"), but the skeleton of the old, tourist-beloved mall still stands today, though officials say the demolition process is three-quarters complete. Press were given a short boat trip for a better view of the structure's remaining frame, alone on the pier alongside cranes and piles of rubble. Representatives from Howard Hughes say once they finish razing the structure, as well as the pier below it, the new, better, glassier mall will be built, and is slated to open by 2016.

Rendering of the new and improved Pier 17, designed by firm-of-the-moment SHoP Architects, who also created the Barclays Center and the master plan for Domino. There will be a massive events space in the new building, but the structure will be a similar height and density to the old structure. The new glass mall will host "a mix of boutique and large restaurant and retail spaces" (and hopefully be less chain-filled than its predecessor), and feature a huge publicly-accessible rooftop terrace.

During the water taxi ride, there was no mention of the heated neighborhood backlash to the development, only its contribution to the "urban experience" of the area.

Howard Hughes spokespeople even referred to the the new privately-owned public space as "Bryant Park, 300 feet out into the water."

Not just the structure, but the pier as well will need to be demolished in order to create and support the new development.

The New Market Building, as seen from the water. If a plan for a 50-story tower moves forward, this building would be demolished.

A closeup of the remains of Pier 17's old mall.

It seems that the stairs and escalators are some of the last parts of the old building to be demolished.

—Hannah Frishberg

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/0...en_in_2016.php

The new rendering shows it not looking so much like a solarium, but I hope they replace the pilings because that pier looks rickety.

The entire pier structure at Pier 17 is being demolished and will be rebuilt.

Water Street sorely needs the landscaped median and sidewalks that were proposed.

Now that the old Pier 17 is gone, here is a reminder of what it was like several years ago

Planned South St. Seaport tower shrinks 10 stories

The developer revamping Pier 17 and some surrounding buildings has unveiled a downscaled version of its controversial plan.
    BY JOE ANUTA
    NOVEMBER 20, 2014 1:00 A.M.

A residential tower planned for the South Street Seaport will now top out at 42 stories instead of 52.Photo: SHoP Architects

Howard Hughes Corp. unveiled its updated plan for redeveloping South Street Seaport Wednesday, stating that a controversial residential tower has been downsized by roughly 150 feet from the original proposal. And on Thursday morning, SHoP Architects showed off new renderings and a scale model of that tower.

The developer, which leases the site from the city's Economic Development Corp., presented its plans at a closed-door meeting with the Seaport Working Group, a coalition of elected officials and community members formed to weigh in on the project, which aims to turn Pier 17 into a retail and events venue, restore several historic buildings, and bring a marina and public esplanade to the area.

The residential tower will now top out at 42 stories instead of 52, and Howard Hughes will also build roughly 60 affordable apartments in a separate, renovated building nearby, according to group members who spoke after the meeting.
    "Our plan preserves the historic district, repairs crumbling infrastructure and delivers the benefits the community has called for," Howard Hughes Chief Executive David Weinreb said in a statement.
    But the downsizing of the tower failed to win over many of the elected officials who have taken a keen interest in the project.

"Building a tower at the South Street Seaport is like building a tower at Colonial Williamsburg," said Manhattan Borough President Gale Brewer, who called for a subsequent meeting of the working group in the coming weeks to discuss Howard Hughes' updated plan.
    City Councilwoman Margaret Chin (D-Manhattan) said outright she did not support the project in its current form.
    And while plans for the retail and event destination on Pier 17 have already been approved, the residential tower will need to go through the city's land use process, meaning Ms. Chin's opinion will carry considerable heft, as she represents the area in the council.
    Shortly after Wednesday's working group confab, an opposition group, Save Our Seaport, voted to oppose Howard Hughes' updated proposal.

"I think we should look at every viable site other than what is currently being proposed," said the organization's Michael Kramer, who attended the working group meeting, referring to a number of alternate sites for the residential tower that have been floated by community members and elected officials recently.

The updated plan also includes about $300 million worth of community benefits, such as a new middle school and money to fund the Seaport Museum and historic tall ships moored along the pier, according to Howard Hughes.
    "We are pleased to have the support of Lower Manhattan families and small business owners who know that the only way to truly save the South Street Seaport is to invest in its future," Mr. Weinreb said in a statement. "We are confident that as more residents learn about our plan, they will embrace it."