Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed - The New South Street Seaport - by SHoP Architects

Banned Member

Thumbs down

The more I look at it the more I would prefer the skyline to be maintained behind the FDR boundary. Wrong place for a tower, however nice it might be.

I possess a differing opinion with regards to the location of this tower. I feel its placement outside of the ring highway deemphasizes the bulky skyscrapers further up the East River and thus introduces a very needed focus point within Lower Manhattan.

Combined with the neatly broken up blocks and decent, distinct architecture, this seaport plan is a winner. Hopefully it is approved.

I agree ^

The stretch of the FDR from the Sseaport south could use some great development on the river side -- towers and open spaces and all.

Gehry's unbuilt design for the Guggenheim Downtown attempted to address this area -- which is now a very narrow sidewalk and a no-go-zone -- it really offers nothing as it currently exists.

That ship may have sailed ... but it continues to be a conversation starter off this forum, so why not on it.

It's alright. If they are going to revamp the seaport ,why not do something like what Baltimore has at its harbor.

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

^ specifically?

10 Barclay = Decepticon Optimus Prime's Avatar

What is currently there at the Seaport isn't far off from Baltimore's Inner Harbor. It's even owned by the same company that built Harborplace (Rouse). It isn't working. It's not a concept that works everywhere. Actually even Baltimore is tinkering with the formula, trying to add more resident-friendly retail as more people move back to downtown Baltimore.

The Harborplace formula is basically 100% tourist driven, and that is why it doesn't work in today's New York. There are too many other destinations, and there are more and more people living downtown now (who don't use this space at all). The goal of redeveloping the Seaport (other than making money) is to provide an amenity not just for tourists but for people who live and work downtown as well.

Wow, the more I see of this building the more I like it:

I think it's absolutely beautiful in a feminine sort of way:

It's white, it's based on the idea of filigree, and it has roughly the proportions of a slender human figure. That puts it in the lovely company of the original 2 Columbus Circle and Sullivan's Bayard Building at Crosby Street. It also puts it in the company of this:

Absolutely beautiful!

wonderful post.

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

i like how the building seemingly rises from the water, and i find its breaking of the FDR wall somewhat inviting

Oh sure, it's like Pelli's building right at the water's edge in Hong Kong, and makes it seem bigger. Troyeth is right when he says it mitigates those fat, ugly blockbusters' impact. For this reason, this building is such a credit to its setting, I think it actually works better urbanistically than Calatrava's stack of cubes. Mostly what that did was exclaim, "Look at me!"

Also, stepping across the FDR's "setback" provides depth to the skyline. This occurs again further uptown towards NYU's medical center. Works well there, too.

The tower's external skin with the filigree and interconnected diagonals correspond and
    relate to the cables & arches of the Brooklyn Bridge ...

And notice the change in dimensions / design of the filigree in each of the tower's three sections (top / middle / bottom).

It also appears that the middle internal mass is off-set from the sections above and below it.

The building has terrific rhythm and movement.

I am half-expecting that building to walk across the water, jump up on the bridge, and begin dancing.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

And all that mentioned above, without having to destroy anything worthy, displace people and come out of the taxpayer's pockets.

Projects like this is such a no-brainer, it should fast tracked.

Instead, we get the same knee-jerk reactions against height.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast