Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most Diverse County

I grew up in county #50 ...

County-wide the numbers might show that it is diverse. But actually it is a somewhat segregated county -- the greatest diversity exists on the west and the south sides -- and the rest of the county is fairly homogeneous.

When I was growing up back in the last ice age it was actually red-lined and separated by race.

A good place to move away from ...

Hudson County is number 10 only behind Queens and Brooklyn in this area. YES!!

Exclamation From Wikipedia.org:

About Hudson County aka the Gold Coast. Take a good long look:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Coast%2C_New_Jersey
    Interesting Facts

If the Gold Coast were incorporated into one city, it would be the twenty-first most populated in the country and would still have the smallest land area of the most populous fifty. The only city in the Gold Coast that is on the most populated hundred cities in the United States is Jersey City at sixty six. US Census

The most densely populated city in the country, Union City, New Jersey is in the Gold Coast.

The most densely populated town in the country, Guttenberg, New Jersey is in the Gold Coast.

North Bergen is the city with the second most hills per square mile in the United States behind San Francisco.

North Hudson has the second largest Cuban American population in the United States behind Miami.

Jersey City is the twenty first most racially diverse city in the United States and the most racially diverse on the East Coast of the United States

The Gold Coast has six cities on the list a hundred cities with highest percent of foreign-born residents West New York (65.2%), Union City (58.7%), Palisades Park (57.0%) Guttenberg (48.7%), Fairview (48.4%) and Fort Lee (44.7%).

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    I grew up in county #50 ...
    A good place to move away from ...
    I lived in neighboring #7 for 9 years. I'm glad to be in New York, but must admit the Bay Area has its charms!

Back to your point, you're right, this index does not look at spatial integration. Incidentally, I believe that based on a different statistical analysis using census data (I think they look at this diversity index on a census tract level and average it city-wide), Oakland CA claims to be the most diverse and integrated city in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by tmg View Post
    I lived in neighboring #7 for 9 years. I'm glad to be in New York, but must admit the Bay Area has its charms!

Back to your point, you're right, this index does not look at spatial integration. Incidentally, I believe that based on a different statistical analysis using census data (I think they look at this diversity index on a census tract level and average it city-wide), Oakland CA claims to be the most diverse and integrated city in the country.
    I grew up in #2 for 15 years and moved to Jersey and then to Rockland County. Strangely, I see similarities between Rockland and Brooklyn. The Hasidic Jews have their neighborhood of Monsey/New Square/Kaser, surrounded by the African American communities of Sping Valley/Hillcrest. There is also the Latino community of Havestraw, Irish community of Pearl River, and the very liberal areas of Nyack. Of course being a NYC suburb, Rockland has many affluent neighborhoods i.e: New City, Nanuet, Tappan/Orangeburg. But affluent doesn't neccessarily mean white. I live on the border of New City and Nanuet and my neighbors are Blacks, Indians, Chinese, Hispanics, and various white ethnicities. My professors always talk about the diversity of Rockland and it being the "most diverse suburb in New York State, outside NYC". I looked up ethnic diversity on Westchester and Nassau Counties but Weschester is too geographically segregated and Nassau County is economically segregated.
    Although living in Rockland is a welcome vacation from hectic Queens, I can't wait to get back to the hustle and bustle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12