Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Eventi - 839 Sixth Avenue at West 29th Street - Hotel / Condo - by Perkins Eastman

Did all the flower people move to the Bronx?
    I'm not sure, but if they did, what good is it. They belong in Manhattan. The city should have done something for them.

There's still a good amount of them on 28th street, between 6th & Broadway. Their lack of organization led to their own demise.

OK...so if they were "organized" what would have happened differently? Are you saying they would have been able to negotiate space in the new block-long bases(with the type of spaces divided in a way that is only suitable for banks, health clubs and big chain stores) that line the avenue now?

Roughly how many of them are you saying remain on 28th, I only notice a few.

About half that entire stretch I guess. Certainly not as many as there use to be though.

I do feel that their replacement by rental towers sucks but why can't they expand along the side streets, like the wholesalers have. Business must be waning why these stores close and don't reopen on the cheaper side streets. There is plenty of cheap groundlevel space in the area. Just down 30th many fur shops have closed and have been replaced by low-end wholesalers.

the blank wall on the north facade only goes up 20 stories or so, and above that the facade has windows. The eastern facade changes up then too. (I can't see the other facades from my building.)

What a joke, keep those awful fenestration patterns in London.
    The architects went out of their way to make this tower as ugly as possible.

Lousy indeed, not holding out hope for the street level either.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

This building is looking a lot taller than Stratus, although their floor counts are not that far off from each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    What a joke, keep those awful fenestration patterns in London.
    The architects went out of their way to make this tower as ugly as possible.
    Our architecture should be as good as London's. While I dismiss suggestions that Chicago produces all great structures (in reality, it has a lot of crap), most things in London tend to be high-quality.

Even if there is alot of that pattern of cladding in the UK it is still built with alot more quality than that cheap example.

I tend to judge things on the basis of the net gain over the previous structure, but out of curiosity, two questions: what's so bad about the fenestration? I am completely objective, and just interested in people's criticism. Secondly, what in London has similar fenestration patterns?

Hmmm, I kind of like it. I only have issues with the blank wall. I don't know why they did that.

I walked by this today at lunch. It doesn't look as bad in person, but this is in context to the immediately surrounding buildings. Another thing currently going for it - you can see the whole building from the north because of the vacant lot next to it - a rarity in NYC. Because of this, it looks surprisingly tall and thin. The blank south wall is a problem - I suspect it was necessary because of the thin profile - elevators in a central core would take up too much space, I guess.

I like how they differentiated the condo section from the hotel section. Overall though, it looks a little cheap and the glass is not my favorite...it's that dark gray/black glass which tends to look simultaneously sterile and dirty.

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast