Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 25 Bond - NoHo - Condo - by BKSK Architects

The Dude Abides

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio View Post
    That's a good point point and something I pondered about while looking at the photos.

( and again I admit I'm nit-picking here.)

But is it a long term "style" (as were B-A, Deco or International) or rather this years fins?
    Good question, because it's not easy to answer.

I've brought this up in other threads, and it's been pointed out that the technique has been around for at least 50 years. One of our oldest NY examples is Javits Federal Plaza. While not a style of its own, I don't think it's as easily dismissible as a one-year long fad, especially in this day and age. What do we even call our generation's architecture? Post-post modernism?

What do asymetrical window treatments have to do with the choice of limestone as a building material?
    I'm not sure, and I certainly can be wrong about this. But it seems that when choosing to do an assymetrical facade, the architect has to select a heavier material to offset the lightness of the glass. I've seen limestone used, as well as terra cotta panels, steel (stainless), and other metals. For some reason, it's not done very often with cheap brick or concrete. The result is a better looking building.

It doesn't work well everywhere. 110 Third (Toll Bros.) cheapened out and the effect isn't nearly as good as the renderings suggested. But there have been a host of smaller projects proposed for lower 5th avenue, a few in the Meatpacking district, and one major tower on West 45th that all use the technique, and they all appear much better than average NY architecture.

Is it just the "newness" rubbing me the good way? Maybe, but there's probably more to it.

I think it reinforces the lack of symmetry on Bond St.

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686 View Post
    What do we even call our generation's architecture?
    Cacophony.

Deconstructivist?

Self-indulgent, slipshod mess?

Or am I being grumpy again

Banned Member

Thumbs up

I walked by yesterday. This building and 40 Bond look great and neither represent the cookie cutter crap we are used to seeing.

The Dude Abides

From http://cityrealty.com/new_developments:

25 Bond Street nearing completion 20-APR-07

Construction work is nearing completion at 25 Bond Street, a 9-unit condominium apartment building in the NoHo Historic District.

The project is on the site of a former parking garage and measures 100 feet wide by 114 deep. It is being developed by Goldman Properties, which developed some of the handsomest new buildings in SoHo on Greene Street.

The former owner of the property, Tribeach Holdings, the developer of 129 Lafayette Street, had planned a building with 23 apartments.

BKSK is the architectural firm for the development. It has designed several of TriBeCa's most distinguished recent residential projects including the Hubert at 7 Hubert Street and the Duane Park Building at 166 Duane Street.

The 8-story building has a setback at the 7th floor and its base is an unusual limestone facade that is an irregularly spaced colonnade about two-and-a-half feet in front of the windows. The stone facade is very syncopated. The top two floors, however, are not faced with limestone, nor is the rear of the building, which overlooks its large rear garden.

The building is across the street from 40 Bond Street, which is also nearing completion, and from 48 Bond Street, another new condominium apartment project now in construction. 40 Bond Street, which has been designed by Herzog & de Meuron, has a facade with protruding and rounded green-glass spandrels and mullions.

On the website of 25 Bond Street, Tony Goldman, the developer, proclaims that "There are periods in time when New York City has produced great buildings and now is one of those times," adding that "For us, it's a privilege to be part of this moment, adding stately beauty to downtown."

The building has concierge service, direct elevator access, 10-foot-six-inch ceilings, wood-burning fireplaces, individual lobby storage spaces, a communal outdoor grilling ensemble, and two parking spaces for each unit. The living/dining/kitchen areas in the apartments measures about 38 by 44 feet.

There are two apartments still available on the second floor and each has three bedrooms and three-and-a-half baths. Each apartment has about 3,800 square feet of space and is priced at about $9.1 million.

The Dude Abides

In 2003, a very simialr-looking building (30 finsbury Square, in London) won the RIBA architectural prize. http://www.ericparryarchitects.co.uk/pdf/fsq.pdf

30 Finsbury does seem to be the inspiration here.

More info:

http://www.cityoffices.net/propertie...are-london.cfm

http://www.ericparryarchitects.co.uk/

http://www.architectureweek.com/2003/0416/news_3-1.html
    London-based Eric Parry Architects Ltd. won a design award for "30 Finsbury Square," a commercial office building, notable for its construction of load-bearing stone in deference to its historic neighbors. The limestone contrasts with the otherwise extensive use of glass, metallic infill panels and polished granite cladding. The pier pattern expresses the structure through reduced loading towards the top, but some vertical alignments are offset to create shifts in focus.

Photo: Hélène Binet
    "30 Finsbury Square," with an irregular facade
    of stone piers, by Eric Parry Architects.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25 Bond_30 Finsbury Square_01a.JPG 
Views:	437 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	4198   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25 Bond_30 Finsbury Square_02a.JPG 
Views:	449 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	4199  

More info:

http://www.hilsonmoran.com/?section=projects&pid=9

27-30 FINSBURY SQUARE, LONDON
    (SCOTTISH WIDOWS)

This high quality office development comprising 14,900mē on lower ground to sixth floor on the East side of Finsbury Square. The architect Eric Parry has produced an original and striking design, which has won awards on both sides of the Atlantic, from the RIBA and AIA.

The Client for the development was Scottish Widows with Jones Lang LeSalle acting as their Development Manager.

I like the older buildings in Finsbury square mich better (why is no one surprsied ). Beautiful, grave, massive buildings.

That said, the material for 30 Finsbury is lovelyy limestone which just GLOWS when the sun hits it the right way.

The facade is superb. I wish it covered a larger, more conspicuous building, but it is befitting of the gem that is Bond Street.

The street level facade is almost completely installed -- lots of glass with the same hefty bronzed-steel mullions as are being used on the floors above.

The Lobby ... heavy rusticated stone like on the exterior is going up on the walls here ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast