Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Car in Queens?

Question Car in Queens?

I'm moving to Queens to attend a doctoral program at Queens College. I do not know yet what area of Queens I will be living (will fly over there next month to rent apartment). My question is--Should I bring my car to Queens? I'm getting conflicting advice from people who have never even been to New York but have seen Manhattan in movies/TV. Also, I'm told by some others that Queens has sufficient public transportation to move around and that public transportation would be preferrable. Yet I was told by a broker that I should bring my car to get around quicker than the buses. And yet I'm also told that Queens has some areas with poor public transportation. I'm also told that parking may be an issue.

So, as you see, my head is spinning with the different pieces of advice. So I'd love to hear from people who actually live there.

Of course I do know that I definetely do not need a car in Manhattan. My question is about Queens.

Forum Veteran

Depends where you live - you definely don't need a car in many parts - others it would be nice. It's a choice for you. Parking would be fine, but inconvenient. Parking can take more time than just taking a train, but again, it depends on where in Queens you choose to live.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleA View Post
    So, as you see, my head is spinning with the different pieces of advice. So I'd love to hear from people who actually live there.
    They're all right.

You need a car.

It's a hassle.

Forum Veteran

I'm sure she'll appreciate that advice from someone who doesn't live here.

You're not allowed to talk about any place you don't live.

Last edited by ablarc; March 31st, 2007 at 06:03 PM. Reason: typo

Forum Veteran

Just ironic given "So I'd love to hear from people who actually live there."

^ Thought you lived in Brooklyn.

Where is "there"?

Some figures...

NYC CAR OWNERSHIP

Citywide:

pop. 8,213,839
    cars: 1,943,854
    Persons per car: 4.23

Manhattan:
    pop. 1,606,275
    cars: 252,209
    Persons per car: 6.36

Brooklyn:
    pop. 2,511,408
    cars: 428,839
    Persons per car: 5.86

Bronx:
    pop. 1,364,566
    cars: 255,103
    Persons per car: 5.35

Queens:
    pop. 2,256,576
    cars: 748,695
    Persons per car: 3.01

Staten Island:

pop. 475,014
    cars: 259,008
    Persons per car: 1.83

Source: N Y State Dept of Motor Vehicles

The lower the ratio of people to cars, the more suburban a place is.

Forum Veteran

I'm thinking "there" is not suburban North Carolina.

"I'm getting conflicting advice from people who have never even been to New York but have seen Manhattan in movies/TV."

Here's your problem, you are asking people who have never even been to New York, about New York. Second, what they saw of Manhattan on TV is just Manhattan, and Manhattan is not Queens.

I assume you will be living near the school, so my advice to you is BRING YOUR CAR! There's no subway in that part of Queens, and the bus service is far and between. You want to wait 30 mins on a rainy/snowy day for a bus???? There's plenty of street parking in that part of Queens, so no garage bills.

And for you to come to Mahattan from the college, on public transportation it will take you at least 1 hour if not more, and this is during rush hour where they run more frequent. If you do the same trip at night or on weekends, you will be doubling or tripling your time.

Half the "New Yorkers" on this board never venture out of Manhattan, so Queens is just as foreign to them as it is to you...............

If you are used to getting around everywhere by car, and if your life will be centered around Queens, then absolutely bring a car. It's almost a no-brainer. (This advice is against my best interest, which is to have as few cars in Queens as possible.)

Now that that's settled, the real queston is, "Which neighborhoods in Queens are the closest to Queens College; are the easiest to park in; provide the nicest lifestyle; yet are affordable?"

The best fit, in my opinion: Kew Gardens Hills. (Has Flushing zip code.) Run through that area with a fine tooth comb.

Out-of-towners understandably interchange "Kew Gardens" and "Kew Gardens Hills," which are two different areas. (Some realtors take advantage of this.) You want the "Hills".

BTW, I have to drive to/park on the street by Queens College about once a week because I'm affiliated with a few of their institutes of learning.

Actually, I'd say that the real question is what kind of neighborhood are you looking for, and how close do you want to be to the college?

Kew Gardens and Kew Gardens Hills are perfectly fine neighborhoods, but frankly, a lot of people would think they're dull. If you're looking for a more suburban neighborhood and proximity to the college, they're perfect and you should bring a car. However, if you're looking to live in a more lively area closer to Manhattan, don't bring the car. Having a vehicle in say, Astoria, would be silly, no matter how some random numbers about car ownership in the boroughs pan out.

For what it's worth, my old roommates attended law school at Queens College, and neither of them ever had a car. We lived in Sunnyside, and they would commute on the 7 train. It was certainly a pain, but so is having a car in most of NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    I'm thinking "there" is not suburban North Carolina.
    Has Queens changed that much since I lived in New York?

Is it teeming with new subway lines?

Have they built parking garages on every block?

Are you now allowed to park on the sidewalk?

Have they discarded zoning?

Do people get around on segways?

I'm not sure what's changed, or how long you've been gone, but it's safe to say that the fact you don't need a car to live in Queens hasn't changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau View Post
    I'm not sure what's changed, or how long you've been gone, but it's safe to say that the fact you don't need a car to live in Queens hasn't changed.
    It's safe to say nothing germane to the discussion has changed unless I've been gone since the 1930's.

People's needs differ, and so do their perceptions of their needs. Living in Astoria, most people would say you don't need a car --myself included. The rest of Queens? Maybe you don't, but I would.

In a broader sense, no one on the planet needs a car (but that is another discussion).

Random Personality

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau View Post
    I don't have a car, and I live in Queens merrily (well sort of). Of course it helps to live in an area thats about 5 blocks from 7 tain lines helps too.

My best advise for MichelleA is first decide where you would want to live, and then from there decide if a car is necessary. It really comes down to location.
    Last edited by ramvid01; March 31st, 2007 at 10:55 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast