Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Car in Queens?

http://tinyurl.com/2ag28z Front_Porch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    ^ Why? Track repair? For how long will this take?
    The official explanation is improvements on the 7 line itself (see www.nysun.com/article/49154) but I believe the larger problem is work on the LIRR Sunnyside hub.

I think this year and next will both be spotty.

ali r.
    {downtown broker}

Random Personality

As someone who uses the 7 line quite frequently, these delays are definitely due to track work. They are rearranging the switches to get an extra train in an hour supposedly. They are also modernizing the traffic lighting (I really can't th ink of the correct term right now) so it can run smoother.

It may have to do indirectly with the station thats going to be built at Sunnyside, but that is still far off in the future, as I would assume they would have to connect it to Grand Central before being actually useful (or youll have a spur until its done).

Although this track work is not uncommon, for as long as I remember, which is about 10 years, they have been doing track work. Seems endless really.
    Last edited by ramvid01; April 1st, 2007 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleA View Post
    . . . I currently live in Los Angeles, so when I officially move in July, we (me & 2 cats) will be driving ALL THE WAY to New York in the hot summer weather. With healthy cats is one thing. But now with the diabetes, it's going to be a scary road trip.
    Don't do a cross-country road trip with a diabetic cat; if she happens to need emergency medical attention while you are driving in the middle of nowhere...

Take a plane from LA to NYC -- Bring the diabetic cat, minorly tranquilized, on board with you in a carrier. You can watch her and attend to all her needs. Choose:

(1) Have the healthy cat, minorly tranquilized, in the plane's cargo. A week before this plane ride, send your possessions to your Queens apartment and have your car transported to NYC via an agency.

or

(2) Have somebody in LA watch your healthy cat while you're flying to NYC with your diabetic cat. When you arrive in Queens, put your diabetic cat in a veterinary kennel and fly back to LA. Drive across country in your car with your possessions and healthy cat, and reclaim your diabetic cat as soon as you arrive in Queens.

When I moved from California to NYC in 1990, I did option (1) with my kitten on board and my 2 cats in cargo. My knowledge on this subject is obsolete, but I know that you can still bring one on the plane and one in cargo. BTW, my 3 cats are all still around to tell the story.

Oops. You're absolutely right. What was I thinking? I guess I will have to fly with the diabetic cat. I hadn't thought about if something goes wrong in the middle of nowhere. I guess I'll have to have my car transported by an agency. Thanks so much for the advice. (My kitty thanks you too )

The wife used to live in Forest Hills. A very nice, but a bit removed area of Queens.

ALL of her family members had cars. It was a 15 minute walk to the nearest subway stop, and there was no corner deli/grocery worth walking to.

But, that being said, it all depends on where you will be, and how close to the college. If you are going to be within a mile of the campus, it will only take you 15-20 minutes to walk there! Also, it depends on which direction you will be going when you use your car. Plan on visiting the family often? Keep the car.

BUT, if you get a car, there are a lot of areas that are crowded and hard to drive through. The closer you get to manhattan, usually the worse the driving and parking gets. They are also not the best way into the city unless you are buying something heavy and need to cart it back.

ALSO, remember that if you are coming to a city school and you bring a car, you will be the official taxi driver for your friends when they find out. That can be a royal pain sometimes!

So it is up to you, but I would start picking through the areas and find out where you want to live first, then decide on the car. Queens is pretty diverse, so it is hard to say that a car would be good, or bad, everywhere.

For Queens College, you will need a car, depending on Bus service while trying to study is a bad idea in my opinion. Think of the day you want to study late in the library but because of the bus sch. you have to leave. I have lived in various spots in queens and always had a car. Now i live in LIC and choose not to have one because I am out of town most of the week and a garage is too expensive in LIC

Ali R, the 7 train has been down the last couple weekends, but with the Mets Season starting they have no choice but to keep service running especially on weekends with games.
    Last edited by shocka; April 3rd, 2007 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shocka View Post
    For Queens College, you will need a car, depending on Bus service while trying to study is a bad idea in my opinion. Think of the day you want to study late in the library but because of the bus sch. you have to leave.

Ali R, the 7 train has been down the last couple weekends, but with the Mets Season starting they have no choice but to keep service running especially on weekends with games.
    Are everyones legs broken or something?

How bad is that area that you cannot walk, bike, or blade to the library to study?

And don't bring in the bad weather circumstance either! You think digging your car out late-night during a storm is any fun?

So I would still come down and look around, see how close you will be to the campus, and how important it would be to have the additional transportation. It is handy to have a car when you are in school, but it is also handy to have $$.

Your choice.

I would bet good money that a bus runs later than the library is open, especially for Queens College.

Still, Ninjahedge is correct to bring up finances. If they're not a worry, bring your car and garage it.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleA View Post
    Oops. You're absolutely right. What was I thinking? I guess I will have to fly with the diabetic cat. I hadn't thought about if something goes wrong in the middle of nowhere. I guess I'll have to have my car transported by an agency. Thanks so much for the advice. (My kitty thanks you too )
    MichellaA: I don't drive, but I do have cats and cats-on-planes experiences that may be more recent than Rapunzel's. While I can't point to any specific horror story, I would never put a cat or any other sentient animal (drugged or not) in air cargo, especially during the summer. Never.

A few years ago, I flew several times with 2 cats between NYC and another city where they were having surgical procedures done that weren't yet available at any animal hospital in NYC. One-at-a-time, the cats traveled with me in the passenger cabins, without incident, except for the reactions of some fellow passengers when they saw me removing cats still adorned with surgical tubes from their carriers and hand-carrying them through the X-ray machines.

The in-cabin pet policies of the airlines do differ somewhat; so if you do pick that option, be sure to do your research and make your reservations well in advance. Also, unfortunately, expect to pay more than you would to bring along a small human.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
    Are everyones legs broken or something?

How bad is that area that you cannot walk, bike, or blade to the library to study?
    Ninjahedge, I am not sure how much you know about eastern queens, i actually call any place east of Kew Gardens the Burbs of Queens.

There is VERY LITTLE difference between these areas and Nassau county. Public transport is limited to LIRR and Bus, which might not even be public. At night there are not too many people walking the street, certainly more then on Nassau county, but nothing close to an area such as Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, Astoria, Sunnyside etc.

Quote Originally Posted by shocka View Post
    Ninjahedge, I am not sure how much you know about eastern queens, i actually call any place east of Kew Gardens the Burbs of Queens.

There is VERY LITTLE difference between these areas and Nassau county. Public transport is limited to LIRR and Bus, which might not even be public. At night there are not too many people walking the street, certainly more then on Nassau county, but nothing close to an area such as Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, Astoria, Sunnyside etc.
    Have you been to the area in Forest Hills away from Queens Boulevard?

It is pretty vacant at night, and VERY suburban. Wife lived a good 15 minute QUICK walk from the last stop on the F.

People just do not want to walk!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123