Thread: It's been one year since J.B. Hehman left this world

Default It's been one year since J.B. Hehman left this world

(Full disclaimer, while he died on the 4th, but the event itself has its anniversary today.)

It's hard to believe that today is the one-year anniversary of that tragic event. One year to the today that he was killed by a group of petty teenage muggers. It has also been a year since Wired New York unleashed its greatest outpouring of sympathy and community service. Through fliers and Maggie's Garden, WNY has honored TLOZ with his memories and his belief in New York as a great city.
    TLOZ himself said that,
    "New York has had many golden ages. They just take different forms and affect different aspects of the City."
    TLOZ will always be missed.

I just joined recently but I'm aware of what went down. I read it up on here.

It seems like he had a lot of good quotes in regards to N.Y. -- and he's missed.

He's very missed. But I think he would have liked all that went on here in his memory: the debates, the garden, and the spirit of community that is so clearly behind it, a community he was so big a part of.

Banned Member

Wow! A year has gone by. It's definitely a tragedy that had a profound impact on how I live life. He is very missed here, but his spirit is very much with us. I still find myself startled when one of his posts pops up. He brought out the very best in this community. I hope we keep the memorial forum here for years to come. It's a nice reminder of him and how he influenced us.

One year has gone by, yes but... TLoz, you're always alive in our hearts!

I never even saw this thread when i logged in today, but now that i know it's here i should add to it.

I try not to think about April 1st, it's got to be one of the worst days i've ever lived to see. I really cant believe it was one year ago today that i woke up, went to my computer and the first IM i got read "holy shit, J.B. was hit by a car and he's in a coma"...and then a couple hours later, another IM from the same person telling me J.B. had died.

There really wasn't too much mention of the date of the actual event leading up to his death among my group of friends, and i actually spent sunday watching wrestlemania with my best friend, who was one of J.B's friends, i guess as a way to forget what that day really was. neither of us made any mention of it.

That aside, everyone who knew him, personally and through the forum here, will always miss him.

I found an image on here about a year ago, that i cant remember who the OP was, but i'll repost it at the bottom of this in a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownGirl View Post
    He's very missed. But I think he would have liked all that went on here in his memory: the debates, the garden, and the spirit of community that is so clearly behind it, a community he was so big a part of.
    As a side note, I'm curious as to whether i know UnknownGirl, as i saw in another thread that she was a friend of J.B's, though no mention of from where. I went to highschool with him, so its possible that i know the poster. just curious.

Here's that image i was talking about.

Broderick John (JB) Hehman
    5.28.85-4.4.06
    Rest In Piece

Banned Member

That was created by Jasonik and it is one of the most lovely, heartfelt posts I've ever read.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider View Post
    That was created by Jasonik and it is one of the most lovely, heartfelt posts I've ever read.
    yeah, i love it, which is why i saved it. i wanted to have it on my computer just in case the thread ever went under.

i'm disappointed to say that i never made it to the planting at Maggie's Garden last year, though i would've loved to have been there. i finally saw the pics from that day and saw that 2 of J.B's best friends were there. atleast someone who knew him personally was able to make it.

maybe in the next month or so, i'll be able to get up there and see the finished product. i'd love to see it in person, just once.

i think maybe i'll stick around this time. see you guys on the forums.

Banned Member

I know there were a number of JB's close personal friends at the Memorial Project. There were also classmates and one of his professors showed up. It was a nice mix of real-life friends and virtual-online friends who appeared on that day to remember him. In addition, there was a huge community of individuals (WNY community members, NYU staff & students, JB's family and friends) that funded the project, but could not make it to the Project. Don't beat yourself up for not being their. The energy of JB and everyone whoever touched his life in a positive way descended on us that day. Everyone was there - you as well.

The energy of JB and everyone whoever touched his life in a positive way descended on us that day. Everyone was there - you as well.
    That's beautiful, BR, and very true.

Thanks BR. i really want to get up to the garden one day. maybe if the gathering that UnknownGirl speaks of actually happens and i have enough notice to get out of working, i'll meet up with you guys finally.

I know there were a number of JB's close personal friends at the Memorial Project. There were also classmates and one of his professors showed up. It was a nice mix of real-life friends and virtual-online friends who appeared on that day to remember him. In addition, there was a huge community of individuals (WNY community members, NYU staff & students, JB's family and friends) that funded the project, but could not make it to the Project. Don't beat yourself up for not being their. The energy of JB and everyone whoever touched his life in a positive way descended on us that day. Everyone was there - you as well.