Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Safety in New York

Which guides are they, and what do they say? I believe you, but I'm curious.

Friends of mine have slept in and, um, done some other things with one another very late at night in Central Park. It is very safe, both on the East and West sides. If anything, I would imagine the East Side would be even safer, but they are both really safe.

Quote Originally Posted by krulltime View Post
    ^ Not at all. You will be fine.

Hey moderators... Maybe we can make a sticky thread about safety in NYC? Lately so many people are still concern about safety in NYC. Having a sticky one might be helpful for all members.
    That's not a bad idea. I'll give it a try.

Tourists, consider yourselves warned: you're all doomed!

Smile Walking in Harlem

For my visit in 2005 I bought a copy of the AA 2004 New York Guide and also had a look at a slightly older copy of Fodors New York Guide.
    While they make some minor warnings like, "Dont walk in Central Park alone" or "Take a taxi if going to the East Village at night" , it is the lack of information about getting around in places other than Times Square etc.
    I had a good time in 2005 and am looking forward to my next visit in June.
    My original question about Walking in Harlem was asked, because I just wanted to know from a New Yorker.

There's parts of Harlem you don't want to venture. Mainly around the housing projects and the parks by night. This is because there isn't a street presence and the areas tend to be dark and barren, creating an opportunity for crime not isolated to Harlem. You will be safe on all Avenue's and 125th and 135th Street in Harlem at all times.

The areas you're going to be walking are considered Morningside Heights. The streets are filled with both tourists and locals, and you're seriously unlikely to encounter any problems.

I really think that the majority of travel guidebooks are written for people who have never left their hometown, nor traveled anywhere without driving door to door. I saw a lot of fear-mongering in the guides to Barcelona I read last year, but rightfully took it with a shaker of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau View Post
    The areas you're going to be walking are considered Morningside Heights. The streets are filled with both tourists and locals, and you're seriously unlikely to encounter any problems.

I really think that the majority of travel guidebooks are written for people who have never left their hometown, nor traveled anywhere without driving door to door. I saw a lot of fear-mongering in the guides to Barcelona I read last year, but rightfully took it with a shaker of salt.
    That's a LOT of grains!!!

So you'd say that Morningside is the ideal place to live in the Harlem area? It's def. the place I see advertised the most.

"Ideal" really depends on who's asking, and what they're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkDragon View Post
    So you'd say that Morningside is the ideal place to live in the Harlem area?
    Morningside Heights is safe, pleasant, lively, dominated by students, well stocked with bookstores and dotted with reasonably-priced places to eat. It's also fairly convenient to the rest of Manhattan if you don't mind a half-hour ride on public transport. There's enough to do locally that when I lived there I'd leave mostly on weekends. Very convenient.

It's def. the place I see advertised the most.
    That may be partly because of its good reputation, so realtors draw its boundaries on the wide side.

Oh boy. People still going on about this? Ever since New York got rid of this guy:

Crime has dropped dramatically

^ That or people are still watching too much of this film.

^Who put Miss. Liberty's head in the middle of Manhattan? How would one get it from the Liberty Island, to Midtown? Damn, stickup kids.

Who would fire their gun at the ground, while running away from an angry mob, while carrying a guy with a briefcase and be smiling while doing it?

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast