Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Where's lofter1?

Nice! Now I have a reason to visit Oregon one day.

Default On the Road to Wallowa

And you should ^^^

There are many reasons to visit Oregon. Shortly after I arrived we hit the road for North East Oregon, namely Wallowa County and the Chief Joseph Days Rodeo.

The trip was a long one and stops were not encouraged. So at 70 miles an hour I decided to stick my camera out the window, click away and take my chances ...

Our drive took us along the Columbia River and past a seemingly endless grove of Poplar trees -- 17,000 acres to be exact, and so dense and protected that the trees are now reportedly home to bears and wild boars. The trees are trimmed and harvested, so while driving by the effect is quite surreal ...

Turning south east we started our journey into the foothills of the Blue Mountains ...

We stopped for gas in Le Grande, once a grand old logging town ...

It was here that I took my first shot of an old Oregon-style house, probably built in the 1920s but now a bit worse for wear ...

We continued on towards the Wallowa Mountains ...

Until we arrived in the town of Joseph ...

... where we unloaded the horses and staked camp ...

The town is named for Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce Indians who is buried nearby near the shore of Wallowa Lake ...

To be Continued ...

"... where we unloaded the horses and staked camp ..." Oh man, now that's a vacation. Such a cool area - so remote. Do any roads lead to Hell's Canyon?

"You didn't go up there to fish!"

Nope ^^ Not much of a fisherman, myself.

Hell's Canyon is just over the mountains that can be seen at the far end of Wallowa Lake -- and the fires there had filled the sky with smoke by the time we awoke on the second day.

I've started a new thread to cover my travels in "Photography & Travel":

On the Road Through OREGON

Banned Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYatKNIGHT View Post
    Hell's Canyon?

That's the place I was thinking of!

Lofter1 is packing so he can get his butt onto a flight tomorrow as the sun rises.

Destination: London.

Still haven't convinced myself that I should take the camera along for the ride.

I'll be back in mid-March. Hopefully with some stories to tell.

Ta!

Enjoy your trip Lofter!

Can't wait for your pictures when you get back, after looking at your Oregon pictures a few nights ago.

Ben

Banned Member

Take your camera!!!!

Bon Voyage

My trip was great. Even without the camera. For a while I found myself down near Fabrizio's neck of the woods, most charmingly in a little place north of Rome called Calcata. While there I spoke only Italian-ese (a very humorous dialect of butchered English & Italian understood only by those close to me).

My posh (but hardly obnoxious) English accent was most notable during a few days when I was lucky enough to spend some time at this quaint little joint near Leeds, where all the daffodils were in full bloom. Attempting to speak in a manner appropriate to one's location clearly has its advantages.

While up that way some friends and I took a spectacular hike up to the top of Almscliff Crag. When we set out at late morning it was bright and clear, but by the time we reached the tip of the crag at early afternoon the skies had gone all grey & cold and snow & sleet were attacking us on the horizontal. Invigorating as all hell.

Despite that blast of cold it seems that spring came way early all over Europe this year, as magnolia trees were profusely covered in blossoms the first week of March. Kew Gardens was a mass of color (where a collection of Henry Moore sculptures are on view through the end of this month).

It was heard from many that the fault for the time being out of joint can be tied directly to the dastardly deeds of GWB, and accordingly the dollar has been deemed practically worthless (as is reflected in my credit card bill).

But the trip was needed -- and worth every pound and euro I was able to scrape out of my now-empty wallet.

Sounds like you enjoyed your trip lofter.

Now I want to go.

You mean you passed by here with out even a call?

Let me dedicate this Henry Moore sculture to you:

http://www.scultura-italiana.com/Scu...n%20Marco).jpg

no cam, no cell ...

it was practically medieval.

next time ...

btw: I had some fantastic papardelle con cinghiale while in Italy. it rendered me speechless.

papardelle con cinghiale

Translation for the general public: broad noodles with a sauce of wild bore.

speechless but thinking of you

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast