Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Clinton / Hell's Kitchen Development

Does mean that will be possible to build high towers also in CLINTON ?

Quote Originally Posted by soccerUSA View Post
    Does mean that will be possible to build high towers also in CLINTON ?
    The protected districts western border is 10th Avenue. The West side of 10th and farther west to the water is open game, although portions of it are not currently zones for residential. That could change but I doubt we will see the Clinton Special District disappearing anytime soon.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

If you want tall towers out there, you're gonna need mass transit and no, buses don't count.

Subways aren't likely (look at all the drama for just Second Ave subway), so that leaves just one option: light surface rail running parallel to West St. with connections to the subway system at various points.

Light rail on 11th Avenue would seem to be a more viable way to go -- West Street reconstruction is complete and the changes that would be need to support light rail on WS might prove too disruptive. OTOH 11th Avenue is just beginning to go through changes -- now would be the opportune time to incorporate light rail that would serve the west side from 72nd <> 23rd / 14th -- or even farther south.

Default Clinton / Hell's Kitchen

Is it true that prices in this neighborhood are cheaper than throughout most of Manhattan, especially for new developments?
    I've seen many new residential buildings popping up on the west side below 42nd street.

http://tinyurl.com/2ag28z Front_Porch's Avatar

I sell everything South of Central Park, and I'd say the best prices would be in the Financial District (which is stlll perceived as an emerging neighborhood) or on the Lower East Side (which gets a discount because It's far from transportation).

The West Side is really fun (I live in Clinton) but not the cheapest by any means.

ali r.
    {downtown broker}

but in terms of new buildings being erected, doesn't HK/Clinton beat the LES and the Financial District?

On a $$ per square foot basis, no. Just one sample, but I'm really not rigging it: For $1.09 M at the Platinum in Hell's Kitchen, you get 988 square feet; on John Street $1.06 M gets you 1006 square feet, with lower monthlies.

The West Side is seen as a more desirable place to live -- c'mon, famous administrators of this site live there -- and it's accordingly more expensive.

ali r.
    {downtown broker}

I'm a little confused here....my impression was that the financial district already has a large base of apartment buildings, and prices are low simply because nobody wants to live there - there's nothing to do at night, it's empty and rather eerie.
    Hell's Kitchen and Clinton seems they have a lot of industrial buildings and empty lots that are being torn down to make room for condos.

Again , that's just based on not very often forays in the two areas and some reading online, especially wikipedia on Hell's Kitchen/Clinton and a few other articles.

I'd agree with there's little to do at night in the Financial District, I wouldn't go as far as "nobody wants to live there."

But the West 40s and 50s have a pre-existing bunch of restaurants and clubs. Mix that fun-to-go-out atmosphere ("Hellsie") with the relocation of a bunch of major law firms to Times Square, and proximity to West Side transportation hubs . . . you won't come out with bargains.

ali r.
    {downtown broker}

well, here comes the dollar question:

which neighborhood do you feel is undergoing gentrification at this point?

Do I need to write this in all-caps? I think I do: THEY'VE ALREADY UNDERGONE GENTRIFICATION. Years ago. Did you notice that each of the apartments she mentions are selling for over a million dollars?

How can you be so interested in gentrification that you use the word as your screenname, yet you seem entirely unfamiliar with the concept?

That was mean schade. I know it is frustrating but don't take it out on the new guy!

Gent, do a search. You will find at least a dozen threads asking the same thing "is it gentrified yet" about every corner of the city.

If you are looking for the next big area that you can get in cheap, Manhattan is all out of them. There are still some areas in the outer boroughs, but even they are pretty well laid out.

So do not take it too hard. We have just been getting a lot of posts asking the same thing.

At least you did not ask what bars you cuold get into w/o being carded!!!

Schadefrau, I see gentrification as a process not as a switch that can be on or off.

Midtown West and the Financial District are undergoing development and an influx of residents. While they are not changing straight from 'ghetto' to luxury, I think one can say they are still gentrifying.

Forum Veteran

Gentrification is specifically the movement from poor to middle or upper middle class. That happens once, after which a neighborhood can get richer or poorer, but it's not gentrification. The two neighborhoods you're talking about are just experiencing development.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast