Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Clinton / Hell's Kitchen Development

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    Because I'd rather have actual stores and restaurants lining the block rather than a 200 foot gas station lining the entire block.
    That is short term thinking. A block with many buildings with small footprints are almost always more interesting than a huge block-busting building.

In fact, those type of buildings can kill the vibe on a block very quickly.

If this project is a block long, it will stay that way indefinitely whereas if the gas station later gets redeveloped, then at least the block will have two separate buildings instead of one large one and in the long run, that will be better for the area. (Of course, it would be better still if it was more than just two.)

Look at Ninth Ave in Hell's Kitchen and how busy it is with all the walkups and stores. Now look at the new block wide projects on west 42nd just a few blocks away. Which one is more interesting from a pedestrian perspective?

That's a phenomenon that many do not yet understand.

And is the rest of the development being built right up to the lot line? If the eastern side of the development is being built right to the lot line with windows facing east, that may preclude a new building going up where the gas station is if that building would be right against the windows.
    It doesn't matter. A new building can go up right where the gas station is as of right. Lot line windows has no legal right to stop another development from going up next door.

That is short term thinking. A block with many buildings with small footprints are almost always more interesting than a huge block-busting building.
    look at ninth ave in hell's kitchen and how busy it is with all the walkups and stores. Now look at the new block wide projects on west 42nd just a few blocks away. Which one is more interesting from a pedestrian perspective?

Amen!

The Gotham site includes the railway cut. From Curbed February 2010:

At the east end of the site a platform will be built over the exposed Amtrak railroad cut and two 14-story residential sections separated by a landscaped open space will go up, all backing onto the full-block Hess gas station along Tenth Avenue ...

The site as it stands now, with a parking lot, school building, railroad cut and,
    just outside the borders, a big Hess station.

The railroad cut will be covered over and two 14-story buildings will rise.

SLCE website shows some images: Current Projects > Studio City (aka 550 West 45th)

Notice the HESS signs at the lower left. One can only hope something will soon rise to cover this ugly butt end of the development.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SLCE_550W45th1.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	14684

Name:	SLCE_550W45th2.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	14685

Name:	SLCE_550W45th3.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	14686

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post

In fact, those type of buildings can kill the vibe on a block very quickly.

If this project is a block long, it will stay that way indefinitely whereas if the gas station later gets redeveloped, then at least the block will have two separate buildings instead of one large one and in the long run, that will be better for the area. (Of course, it would be better still if it was more than just two.)

Look at Ninth Ave in Hell's Kitchen and how busy it is with all the walkups and stores. Now look at the new block wide projects on west 42nd just a few blocks away. Which one is more interesting from a pedestrian perspective?

That's a phenomenon that many do not yet understand.

It doesn't matter. A new building can go up right where the gas station is as of right. Lot line windows has no legal right to stop another development from going up next door.
    No, I understand it perfectly. I'm worried that if there are windows facing east, there might never be another building built there, so it might go from gas station to parking lot. The gas station lot really isn't deep enough east-west to put a building up there and still leave a gap between it and Gotham West.

You surely can't be serious? No one can really be that dense.

Windows facing east will keep the lot next door a parking lot.And the gas station too narrow to build on. LOL!

This feels like I'm talking to Paris Hilton about sub-atomic radioactivity of Carbon-14.

The Hess gas station lot is just as deep as the lots on blocks just to the north and south, both of which have buildings along Tenth Avenue. The railway cut was set back away from the avenue to allow for buildings to exist along Tenth (much like the way the High Line was constructed away from the Avenue farther south).

You can see from the window placement on the east facade of the two new 14-story buildings that will be erected on top of a platform over the rail cut that they are somewhat planned in accordance with whatever new building would be allowed to go up on the Hess gas station site. it would seem that some of the column of windows nearest the interior courtyard might have to go but, depending on the "rear yard" requirements for a Hess site building, even those might survive.

Also it's not clear to me that the Gotham buildings extend all the way to the edge of their eastern property line (along the west edge of the Hess site). It could be that it's been set back a tad from the lot line.

Thank you.

(Although I have a feeling Sid still won't get it but will claim that he "understands it perfectly")

If the eastern side of the development is being built right to the lot line with windows facing east, that may preclude a new building going up where the gas station is if that building would be right against the windows.
    No, I understand it perfectly. I'm worried that if there are windows facing east, there might never be another building built there, so it might go from gas station to parking lot. The gas station lot really isn't deep enough east-west to put a building up there and still leave a gap between it and Gotham West.
    Sid, you've got it all wrong.

One property owner can't prevent the adjacent owner from building to his lot-line. If the Gotham West windows facing the gas station are legal according to the DOB, then they must be pulled back from the lot-line a sufficient distance to be counted as windows.

You surely can't be serious? No one can really be that dense.

Windows facing east will keep the lot next door a parking lot.And the gas station too narrow to build on. LOL!

This feels like I'm talking to Paris Hilton about sub-atomic radioactivity of Carbon-14.
    Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. My god you're stupid.

I didn't say the gas station was too narrow to build on retard. I said it was too narrow to build on AND leave a gap between it and Gotham West so any windows aren't pressed up against a brick wall.

Since you apparently have the IQ of a rock, I have a suggestion for you:

http://www.hookedonphonics.com/

It should help you with your reading comprehension. I don't know if it will help you with your stupidity though.

Thank you.

(Although I have a feeling Sid still won't get it but will claim that he "understands it perfectly")
    It's hard for anyone to understand the inane ramblings of an idiot.

Sid, I am completely and utterly blown away by your vast knowledge of NYC property development. Please do share more of your wisdom with us, the stupid retards and idiots of the forum.

We have so much more to learn from you.

You started with the uncalled-for personal comments and insults in post #126, you illiterate ****ing moron, not me. I hadn't made any personal comments about you prior to post #126. So why don't you share more of your wisdom with us, the stupid retard and idiots of this forum.

PS, did you order Hooked On Phonics yet? I think it might help you with your needs.

You are absolutely brilliant.

Did you get that Hooked On Phonics yet there, Einstein?

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast