Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 555 6th Ave - renovation

Default 555 6th Ave - renovation

I saw some hoarding and work going on there. Does anyone know what it is? Are they going to extend that P.O.S. building out to the sidewalk with some retail?

Yep. Thank God.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    This building is such an eyesore, with a trench and metal fence fronting its Sixth Ave frontage.
    Never thought anything would happen to it since many units are probably rent controlled/stabilized making it impossible to demolish.

ODA Architecture
    http://oda-architecture.com/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chelsea3.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	15662   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chelsea2.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	15663   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chelsea1.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	15664  

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

How come that is not a target for demo but yet some much nicer, much bigger buildings near GCT are?

This city is retarded.

Rent stabilized tenants probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    Yep. Thank God.
    Sweet. Do you know the number of retail units or retail square footage they're adding? And I assume that new glass level on the top is another residential floor?

I've thought this was a horrible building for a long time. How was something like that ever built in that location in the first place?

It was built in the mid 70s. Different area back then.

I'm not sure why it was built, but it that sunken area always reminded me of a moat. A fear of the streets thing.

Building across 6th Ave was put up at the same time. Also pulled back from the street with a fence.

You have to remember that an elevated passenger train used to run up Sixth Avenue, erected in the 1870s and in operation for over 60 years. So lots of properties along that route were probably not in the best shape once the rails came down. Both sides of Sixth on this block got similar structures, sunk low. Not sure what was along this block front before.

Here's where the El turned north and headed uptown:

John Sloan, Sixth Avenue Elevated at Third Street [1928]

This looks up Sixth, from 14th Street, circa 1905:

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post

I'm not sure why it was built, but it that sunken area always reminded me of a moat. A fear of the streets thing.

Building across 6th Ave was put up at the same time. Also pulled back from the street with a fence.
    Yeah. If they were going to put up a moat, don't go half-assed. Fill it with water and crocodiles, and force all visitors to swim through it to pass. Could have been quite the attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post

I agree, for years I thought this change would eventually come.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

That building used to belong to St. Vincent's.

If anyone is going to be walking by this, could you take a picture and upload it so we can see the progress? Thanks.

I walk by it every few days now, and I have to say, it doesn't look to me like much is happening. I'll be by it again on Tuesday at the latest, and I can snap a shot then.

It's going to look like an Omsk commieblock - you know, one of those long buildings with shops at the bottom. They called them "khrushchyovka" back in the old USSR because they were built during Khrushchev's reign. This kind of crap makes me want to take off my shoe and pound it at the podium, screaming "we will bury you with bad architecture!"

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2012/0...xth_avenue.php

Did they have a name for that stuff on top?

Geez. They took a simple, ugly-ish building with street flaws, and turned it into a glaring train wreck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast